General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Newbie!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 12:36 PM
Squid

Mac07 is on a distinguished road
Talking Newbie!

Just wanted to say hey. i've looked around the site a little and it's awesome, got lots of good info.

Pretty sure im gonna be getting a bike before the end of the week, it'll be my first and yeah looks like i might be gettin a superhawk.

I've riden dirt bikes all my life so im excited to get a little bigger toy, but im kinda uneducated on all the bikes so im not even sure a superhawk is a good starter bike but i guess im gonna find out.

the bike im lookin at is a '05 with about 4000mi. and there askin 5 grand for it. It sounds like a sweet deal to me but like i said im not to informed as of yet.

I figured checking in here would be a good start so i was just lookin for some opinions or suggestions even before i had a bike.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:19 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Welcome. People will disagree with me, but I think our Hawk is a great bike for a starter. User friendly, comfy, and you can't beat a Honda.

Just take your time when getting used to it, riding a dirt bike is a completly different thing. Take an MSF course, make sure to wear the proper stuff, and most importantly...HAVE FUN!!!
Old 05-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Back Marker

NovaWildcat08
Originally Posted by Mac07
im not even sure a superhawk is a good starter bike but i guess im gonna find out.
I'm going to agree with Drew. I think the Hawk is a great beginner SPORT bike. There is enough power to have loads of fun, but not so much that it's going to get away from you. My dad just bought an FZ1 this week and after riding that bike (even with it's de-tuned R1 engine) I'm so glad I didn't hop on a Liter-RR as my first sport bike. I definitely would have killed myself.

As you poke around you'll find very little negative attitudes towards our beloved SuperHawk. Plus, once you learn how to ride it stock, a little work in the garage will make it fly!
Old 05-24-2007, 06:40 PM
Squid

Well thats good to hear at least. Any other things besides taking it to the track like drew suggested that i might need to do while getting started. Man i get more and more excited about it each time i think about it. gonna be hard to hold back on the throttle LOL!
Old 05-24-2007, 09:51 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
No, not the track. He said MSF course. This is a course on a parking lot with 14 different exercises designed to teach you to accelerate, shift, brake, and turn. It's a course designed around taking a novice (new) rider and teaching that person to ride well enough to survive on the street. Speeds are no more than about 20mph on the range. It lasts 2-3 days and usually you use the range bike (Rebel, GZ250, Blast, etc) they provide you. There are other more advanced courses provided by MSF such as the Experienced Rider Course that you can take later. If you're interested go to www.msf-usa.org.

I'm an MSF instructor for the Navy.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Superstock

nineighthawk
Welcome.

Where are you located?
Old 05-25-2007, 04:59 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Nice to make your aquaintance Mac..
Old 05-25-2007, 07:06 AM
Squid

im located in central texas. by the way how do i change it say my location.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:20 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum!
Old 05-25-2007, 09:09 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mac07
how do i change it say my location.
Go to the user CP, in the thin dark blue line at the top of the page after you log in. Just fill in all the info you want to share.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:19 AM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Welcome, Mac! I'm in Austin but my Superhawk is tore down for the moment but that may change in the next couple weeks. The front end parts are all here now - I'm just waiting on some fairing parts from Honda then I'll be up and running again.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:47 PM
Squid

well maybe after i get started we could ride some nuhawk. The bike im looking at is in austin anyway.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:52 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
This is/was my first street bike, nothing too it,, it is a great first bike...just stay out of the throttle til your used to it....And go take the MSF course...worth every penny!!
Old 05-25-2007, 01:50 PM
Squid

just out of curiosity how much is it to take a msd course and what exactly is it that you do? Im guessing it would be a lot simpler to just take the course instead of trying to learn on my own?
Old 05-25-2007, 01:56 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Yes, it sets a good foundation for proper street riding. Check your local community colleges. Depending on location, there may be a month or two wait. Sometimes not though. It's usually around $75-100.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:37 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
There are two outfits that do the beginning riders' course here in Austin. One is Total Rider the other is motofun.net My son went through Total and I went through Moto and both of us had good experiences. Very good course - well worth the coin - saves on insurance. Kinda tough on you though because it runs Thursday nite, Friday nite, all day Saturday and a half day with graduation at noon on Sunday. My Superhawk sat in the shop for a month while I waited to get mine done before I rode.