General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New VTR gets rave reviews

Old 08-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Back Marker

CANADAVTR is on a distinguished road
New VTR gets rave reviews

I often take for granted my lil' red VTR. I look at other bikes and think...mmmm, maybe my next bike!
I've learned to check my emotions by reading VTR reviews....just Google VTR1000 reviews and you are immediately flooded with multiple praise for the good old Superhawk.
Like a great wife, we often lust after that six foot blonde - until we realise that what we already have is just fantastic! Enjoy your VTR!!

Last edited by CANADAVTR; 08-13-2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
I often dream of other bikes, mabey even replacing the hawk, but I just can't do it. It just does everything and more. I always have the oldest bike out of the people I ride with but no one else I know has one
Old 08-13-2010, 11:01 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
new bikes might be better, but I can't do all the work on them myself and that is a big negative in my book
Old 08-14-2010, 01:31 AM
dave
Squid

yellowstorm is on a distinguished road
you look at other bikes then look at the vtr its still in a class of its own top bike in my book !
Old 08-14-2010, 04:38 AM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
I seem to have the same problem... maybe im biased because my superhawk has been my first and only bike for 4 years, but i too look at other bikes and think about having them for my next... but every time i try and sell my SH, and yes I have tried to sell my superhawk, I just cant... there are still too many mods I want to do to it to make it go faster, look better and handle better...

who knows maybe I'll have them bury me with it...
Old 08-14-2010, 10:42 AM
rnb
Back Marker

rnb is on a distinguished road
I bought a CBR1000RR, an 07 model, I really like it but most of the time I still ride my Superhawk. It is more comfortable and I love the sound of the v-twin
Old 08-14-2010, 01:32 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
There is probably a crossover point in our demograph, that being in general we are long term relationship people. Paul Newman said it best (almost costing him the very thing he was talking about) 'Why get hamburger out when you have steak at home?'

I KNOW my VTR will need a charging system again, one day, but she's pretty and has no trouble keeping up when ridden in the real world. Sure, gotta stop for fuel every 75 minutes, but hey, that's the same duration my wife has between potty breaks when we go out for the evening and that's a LTR.

Ain't no 'pretty' on the show room floor these days. Sporting units all look like they came out of the transformers design studio with a quick pass down to the Origami Body Shop. Splash graphics? Let me get one of those Ford Mavericks with a vinyl roof, more artistic taste there. Ask an art student to dissect the body lines of the 'Shawk and she'll say, "Good flow and nice balance".

It doesn't scare the insurance writer, takes little space in the garage, rapidly charges the testosterone system and has long legs. Yep, steak at home.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Bytes
Back Marker

Bytes is on a distinguished road
I know someday I will have to give the hawk up but I'm not looking forward to it. It's just a great all around bike. It has some classic styling that just doesn't get old, kinda like a 69 Camaro Z28.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Wrench Bender
Squid

mhaisten is on a distinguished road
I paid $2k for my 99 hawk last year. I have put 4500 miles on it. Every place I go other riders want my bike, especialy right after I spanked them and their CBR1000RR in the twisties! Best, most rideable bike I have ever ridden including my GSXR1100. Go ahead and find me a better bike for $2k, or even $4k.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:12 AM
Back Marker

luis saleiro is on a distinguished road
I own mine for 12 years now, and for the last 5 i´ve thought about selling her and get a last model bike, but at the last minute i always back up and cant sell her.

Dont ask me why, but i think i´m still in love with her as in the first i lay my eye on her.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:38 PM
Back Marker

CANADAVTR is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PUSHrod
There is probably a crossover point in our demograph, that being in general we are long term relationship people. Paul Newman said it best (almost costing him the very thing he was talking about) 'Why get hamburger out when you have steak at home?'

I KNOW my VTR will need a charging system again, one day, but she's pretty and has no trouble keeping up when ridden in the real world. Sure, gotta stop for fuel every 75 minutes, but hey, that's the same duration my wife has between potty breaks when we go out for the evening and that's a LTR.

Ain't no 'pretty' on the show room floor these days. Sporting units all look like they came out of the transformers design studio with a quick pass down to the Origami Body Shop. Splash graphics? Let me get one of those Ford Mavericks with a vinyl roof, more artistic taste there. Ask an art student to dissect the body lines of the 'Shawk and she'll say, "Good flow and nice balance".

It doesn't scare the insurance writer, takes little space in the garage, rapidly charges the testosterone system and has long legs. Yep, steak at home.
You've hit the nail on the head with that quote! As much as the KTM and Aprilia bikes get great reviews, the styling leaves me cold! Same with the new Duc Monsters! Less like a bike, but more of a fashion statement....no thanks...
Old 08-15-2010, 03:08 PM
Squid

mortbike is on a distinguished road
Cycle World Review

Check out page 78 in the July 2010 issue of Cycle World. Our beloved VTR1000F is noted as a " BEST USED BIKE". "Best Open-Class Streetbike, 1997. Also won CW's 16-bike "Sweet 16" Open class sportbike shoot out in 1997. Nice article!! You will enjoy reading it!! Mort
Old 08-15-2010, 04:24 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PUSHrod
Which would you rather drive...a 1969 Camaro or a 2010 Camaro?

If you picked the 2010 Camaro, I've got the bike for you...Suzuki Gladius!
Old 08-17-2010, 08:00 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
I had an 1988, 1000 hurricane I bought new, and then upgraded with better wheels, 130 hp, 165 top speed, smooth as silk. Great bike! May of 2000:took one 5 minute ride on the Hawk and bought it. End of story. When it feels good, looks good, sounds good, and runs good, and it's a Honda, it's not a hard decision.

And these new shoes I recently bought my girlfriend, i.e., Power Pures, add a dimension of silky smoooth unknown to this point, making the Hawk even more enjoyable to ride. I can't comment on what these tires feel like on OEM wheels, but they feel dam good on Carrozzerias. Unbelievable!
Old 08-17-2010, 08:08 PM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

NooB is on a distinguished road
I guess this is one more thing we all have in common, and I agree with you guys. New bikes just don't do it for me. The era of TLS's and superchickens and RC51's is the sweet spot for me. Even the 600's from that era look better to me. Once they started doing that vacuum mold buisness with frames and swingarms the styling just got way out of control.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:28 PM
Squid

ramfootball36 is on a distinguished road

Apologize for the horrendous thread resurrection here, but I went many years without a VTR. In fact I’ve had a motorcycle shop now for almost 20 years, throughout that time I’ve got the pleasure of ridin nearly every sportbike under the sun. None of them stayed around, at 6’4” the RC51 was too rigid and cramped, the speed triple has no wind protection and just lacks character, not even the TLR which I thought I’d love so much hung around.

I was reminiscing with my brother about the old days on the super chicken and went and found one in pieces to scratch the itch an tinker with. I sold my last Hawk in 03, and I figured all those memories were more attached to just being young, than the bike being that much better than everything else on the road. But after just 5 miles, the smile was permanent once again and now I’ve got 3 superhawk projects.

I really don’t know what it is…..the grunt of the v twin, the dual carburetors, the sound, the simplicity, the ride-ability, the comfort, all wrapped up in a nimble Honda quality package. There’s something unique about the Superhawk and that’s about all I ever hear from people who have owned one. I feel so fortunate I ever stumbled across a wrecked one for cheap back in 1999, otherwise I’m not sure I ever would have given a VTR the time of day. IMO, those that found the Chicken, found one of the hidden gems in the motorcycle world.

Old 03-11-2024, 12:55 PM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
So true.

I came from riding old airhead BMWs. And the late great Honda dealer in Dumont NJ - Amol's - told me to ride a traded in VTR.

The wife told me to get a new moto (really - maybe that's why I kept her!) So I plunged down some cash and got a loan on a new '02. ( I think I paid $8200. OTD)

Picked it up on my birthday in '02. Added a Givi top case (came from a Beemer - need to store shyte) - then realized that people couldn't hear me while lane splitting into NYC for work - added big jets and Erion pipes, along with K&N.

I'll never forget riding on the GWB after the change - a rev'd it up and it was like Moses at the Red Sea - it opened up - (to date I never sit in traffic - Split City)

Keep wrenchin & riding!!