General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

A new Supercharged Superhawk in the works?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 01:46 PM
Superstock

Upland111 is on a distinguished road
A new Supercharged Superhawk in the works?

Hey folks,
It's been a while since I have been on-line. I noticed this article the other day with regards to potential development of a supercharged direct-injection 90 degree V-twin, and they happen to mention a motorcycle modeled after the Superhawk. Thought you might find it of interest.
http://www.motorcycle.com/mini-features/honda-developing-supercharged-v-twin-with-direct-injection.html
With regards to the direct injection, why aren't we seeing more of this technology used in motorcycle engines in general? It seems so familiar in new automobiles these days that it makes perfect sense for use in motorcycle engines. Maybe it is more familiar than I am aware of.
Cheers
Old 08-31-2018, 06:21 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
DI is more expensive that run-of-the-mill port FI and as long as the less expensive option meets the required emissions regulations, chances are you won't see it. Another issue is the somewhat common problems that afflict some/many DI car engines (namely carbon build-up on intake valves). I am much more surprised that BRP/Can-Am have not developed a DI two-stroke motorcycle (enduro, off-road) using the now proven and very effective E-TEC technology. KTM made a big deal about their TPI system last year and yet it's "merely" a semi-direct design that is well behind the E-TEC
Old 08-31-2018, 09:29 PM
Superstock

Just finished reading several articles on DFI by one of my favorite Moto-technical authors, (Kevin Cameron), and it's now clearer as to why two-strokes are more suited to both TPI and DFI vs. four strokes, as applied to motorcycle engines thus far. (Just Google "Kevin Cameron DFI motorcycle engines", you will see lots of good articles).
Old 08-31-2018, 09:30 PM
Superstock

I was looking at the 2018 KTM 250 EXC TPI, and here is what their engineer had to say....
One question we had about the new bikes: Why go with a transfer port system rather than direct fuel injection? "Of course, we have investigated direct injection systems," says Michael Viertlmayr. "However, there were major downsides in terms of fuel air mixture, preparation, atomization of the fuel, and rideability—also with piston longevity. Instead of direct injection, we decided on transfer port injection. With TPI you have better fuel atomization and air/fuel mixture preparation."