General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New to me VTR. Yoshimura RS-3 Full Exhaust - Rare? Value?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 06:40 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
New to me VTR. Yoshimura RS-3 Full Exhaust - Rare? Value?

My disease struck me thursday when I saw a local VTR listed on CL for $1200..some hours later it was mine for a much better price...it needs electrical work, blowing ignition fuse. It's been spray bombed black ..I'll never understand why people do that to a bike. I have all the spare parts to get it going again, will be tearing down to the engine and rebuilding using any non spray-bombed parts I have.

Here's a pic from the ad.

Name:  00f0f_fvCdyqpeYot_600x450_zps1ab573da.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  32.6 KB

Semi busted bodywork with rattle can white....might be going naked with this build, none of the pieces are perfect...

Name:  VTR_zps0e8f4318.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  23.3 KB

After I got it home I looked it over more. It has Yoshimura RS-3 mufflers on it, then looking lower, I noticed it actually has a full exhaust with headers too! I was happy to find that.

I searched online but it seems Yosh only sells slip ons for the VTR now. Is this Yosh full exhaust something kind of rare I've stumbled upon? I know it won't hold a candle to the Moriwaki Ti I gave up last year, but I didn't find many examples searching around.

Also what's the value of a full Yosh RS-3? anyone know the retail?

thanks...I may start a thread documenting my rebuild of this bike. I know it has much potential, just needs to be dusted off and given some new life. For now I'm thinking it may be my street bike for next year, or it may end up being listed for sale come spring.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:34 AM
Superstock

RobertLever is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum 98,
Congratulations on your new VTR. I'm sure you'll find its a fun bike to ride when you get it built.
Check out the threads in the forum on the Rectifier/Regulator in the VTR. It's the most common electrical problem on the bike.
I've heard there are plastic-weld products which can do wonders with your fairings. IMHO the SuperHawk looks best with the fairings on.
I can never get enough threads of Hawk buildups. I'm looking forward to seeing yours.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:02 AM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RobertLever
Welcome to the forum 98,
err, he's not exactly a new member, just a new bike.

Good luck on the rebuild. I'm in a similar situation with a VTR parts bike I picked up a year ago. Thinking of making a naked VTR as well.

I'll be following your build thread.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:05 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the find and welcome back into the fold

as for the Yosh exhaust, I never found much data about how it runs, but it is a pretty neat design, what with the two crossovers. In light of this, I would guess they did their homework and would expect it to give a nice boost in power. Their full system for the RC51 is apparently one of, if not the, top performer.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
I have that system. It's very nice. With baffles my bike runs a touch lean but carburates perfectly(stock everything else). I get ~40mpg and clean power through the rev range and throttle settings.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:02 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
Congrats on the find and welcome back into the fold

as for the Yosh exhaust, I never found much data about how it runs, but it is a pretty neat design, what with the two crossovers. In light of this, I would guess they did their homework and would expect it to give a nice boost in power. Their full system for the RC51 is apparently one of, if not the, top performer.
This system has three crossover pipes actually, it looks like a pair of twisted snakes under the shock linkage. I'll get a picture up later.

Originally Posted by davidka
I have that system. It's very nice. With baffles my bike runs a touch lean but carburates perfectly(stock everything else). I get ~40mpg and clean power through the rev range and throttle settings.
good to know.. How is the sound and loudness?

Initially I was going to fix this bike and sell it. If it turns out nice I may tag it for the beginning of next year and ride it a while. My XT is at home on back roads under 65mph, I could use something for highway cruises.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
Mine sounds really good I think. It's not as loud as a sh with baffle-ectomy performed on the stock exhaust. It has a raspy quality that the carbon cans seem to lose (mine are stainless). It's reasonably muffled but our dishes still rattle in the cabinets when I pull into the garage. :-)