New here, new SuperHawk

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 05:20 AM
Older and Slower
Squid

wayne is on a distinguished road
New here, new SuperHawk

Hi,
I just found this forum and signed up. Looking forward to learning more about this bike.
Yesterday I became the proud new owner of a MINT 98 Superhawk. 1163 miles, looks like it just came off the showroom floor. Stone stock except for a set of Staintune pipes. Bike came from a 30 bike collection after the owner passed away. I just happened to stop at a local dealer's open house and this gem was sitting among the used hardware. After confirming the mileage and a bit of dickering it was loaded on the back of my truck. Managed 50 miles on it yesterday and put my old FJ1100 up for sale this morning! Sweet ride, love the sound of the V Twin (former cruiser rider).

So this is just a note of introduction and to say Hi.

Wayne
Old 04-22-2012, 06:17 AM
erno
Back Marker

erno is on a distinguished road
Welcome Mate
The Hawks are a addictive bike
Old 04-22-2012, 06:58 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Welcome Wayne!
Old 04-22-2012, 07:00 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Why can't I ever find deals like that! Regardless welcome Wayne!
Old 04-22-2012, 07:54 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum Wayne. How much did you give for that example?
Old 04-22-2012, 07:59 AM
Squid

raylohne1 is on a distinguished road
welcome...
now how about some pics?
Old 04-22-2012, 08:01 AM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
Welcome Wayne, to both the forum, and the group of us with '98s.

HRCA, Well, he didn't say it was a deal, lol. And he did get it from a stealership, so I bet he paid nicely for it. Nonetheless, it's an awesome bike. I got my '98 with 2000 miles on it 12/30/2011, and have put 3400 more miles on it so far. My R/R blew at around 5100 miles, so if you plan to ride yours, be sure to replace your R/R soon. I ride very hard, and high revs do the old R/R in, so if you never go above 5k rpm, you may not have problems as soon as I did. Also, be sure to research this forum about the CCT failures to be concerned about, then order and install a set of MCCT's as soon as you can. Then leave it alone and put 100,000 miles on it.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:24 AM
Older and Slower
Squid

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. 97wolverine, They were asking $4700 USD for the bike. After a bit of sweet talking I got it for $4000 plus doc fees. Not to bad a deal for such a sweet ride. I couldn't even find any bugs in the radiators lol. I'll get some pics asap, got a few things going on that are taking up most of my time these days. rz racer 69, I don't ride it that hard although I will pick up a RR as soon as possible. With only 1200 miles on it do you really think the CCT will be an issue? I figured after reading some of the posts here that it would probably be ok for the summer (probably 3-4000 miles) and be a good project for the off season to put a set of manual CCTs in it.
VTRsurfer, I had never heard of the Staintunes until I got this bike. My neighbor was commenting on how nice it sounded so I checked the pipes and found the name stamped in them. Not from Oz, northeastern US.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:39 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by rz_racer_69
high revs do the old R/R in, so if you never go above 5k rpm, you may not have problems as soon as I did

Mine see's plenty of use above 5k and I'm still on the OE R/R! Although I do live in a cooler climate than some. Where are you located?

Sounds like a good deal considering it still has that fresh minty smell.

Originally Posted by wayne
With only 1200 miles on it do you really think the CCT will be an issue? I figured after reading some of the posts here that it would probably be ok for the summer (probably 3-4000 miles) and be a good project for the off season to put a set of manual CCTs in it.
CCT's are a crap shoot. If one pops on you, we'll ALL say we warned you...

Last edited by Wolverine; 04-22-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

Yes, chances are good that it will make it too the next down season, but there is still a chance that it won't. Don't know what the lowest recorded mileage is for failure, but I have been warned that low mileage bikes that sat for long periods of time can ultimately weaken the CCT, causing it to be functionally older than the rest of the bike. Assuming it is not already damaged, you can reduce the risk by not running the bike on it's side-stand. This position apparently starves the front CCT from oil supply, and that is the one that usually fails. Don't be afraid to rev these bikes, they do so well, but be prudent with your throttle control above 9k rpm as WOT to closed, at that range, puts a big strain on the cam chain and thus the CCT, causing wear. All this I have picked up by chatting on this here forum, so put some time in reading, use the search, and Google's site search, and you will learn a lot about these fine bikes.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:53 AM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
Mine see's plenty of use above 5k and I'm still on the OE R/R! Although I do live in a cooler climate than some. Where are you located?
DFW Texas, with lots of highway where my "cruising" speed is usually 90-100 and redline is tickled often. *Where I still get 35 mpg's, surprisingly. I guess that's the advantage of the overly lean stock jetting.*
Old 04-22-2012, 09:07 AM
MotoGP

I see where you're from RZ, I meant the OP.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:21 AM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

97, lol. I was wondering...
So yes Wayne, where do ya hail from?
Old 04-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Older and Slower
Squid

Wow, what a great welcome. Here's a couple of pics of the bike. I tried to get a closeup so you could see how clean this thing really is. Any dirt etc is from the 50 miles I put on it yesterday. I plan on using it as my daily ride since I typically commute about 120 miles a day and fuel prices being what they are..... The bike literally looked like it just rolled out of the showroom when I picked it up yesterday. I had no intention of buying another bike but after I saw this and heard it run I was hooked. The motor sounds sweet and the valve train is super quiet so I'm not to concerned re. the CCTs. As a mechanic I am very in tune to motor sounds (especially on my stuff) and at the first sign of noise the CCTs will be replaced. I tend to be much more conservative in my riding style than in my younger days and the bike will not be thrashed, babied is probably a better description. What a fun bike to ride though! I was considering going back to a cruiser but this thing hooked me good!
As for me , I live in western Massachusetts.
Attached Thumbnails New here, new SuperHawk-_mg_3533.jpg   New here, new SuperHawk-_mg_3542.jpg  

Last edited by wayne; 04-22-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:39 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
welcome to the forum,very nice and good find.
i say,just do the cct's,its better that way,the bike sat more than being used.
you are suppose to change them at a certain amount of miles,but,time trumps that.
dont take the chance,not worth it,thats a gem of a find.
curious,whats your production number on the bike?
Old 04-22-2012, 01:33 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
So, these are the slipons type, great pipes. The bike doe's look like a show room bike, very clean.
Congrats and welcome on board! Maybe we can meet up for a ride together
Old 04-22-2012, 02:07 PM
Older and Slower
Squid

Thanks saige. I probably will go ahead and order up the cct's as soon as my FJ sells. You've all got me worried now! To nice a bike to take any chances with. I'll check the number and get back to you, if memory serves it's like 1798 or similar.
NHSH, where in MA you from, out on the east end where they keep all my money, lol. I see a dirt bike in your avatar. I've got an 04 KX250 that's kept me busy the last few years. Been sticking mostly with MX tracks for the fun of it. To old to go fast, to tired to wrestle that beast in the woods! A couple of times a year at Southwick (tough track) a few at a nice little track up in New Hampshire and a little on small local tracks when they are available. Not many places left to ride thanks to the politicians in Boston.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Older and Slower
Squid

I'll have to go out and clean that spot off! Dang I shouldn't have taken it out this morning after last nights rain.
But kidding aside I look at the bike and still can't believe it's 14 years old! I was questioning the tires myself. The dealer didn't mention that they were replaced and there is some wear on them. No sign of checking or age but it's probably better to be safe. I've had a front tire go flat on a bike before and it's no picnic to keep it upright and get it stopped. Any advice on what works well on these bikes. It was my understanding that Honda advised direct replacement with the stock factory tires. Something about the tire being integral to the design and handling of the bike.
Open to suggestions.

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
It's super clean all right, except for that spot of mud on the front tire. Speaking of which, replacing the 14 year old tires would probably be a good idea, unless the dealer already took care of that.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:06 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Thanks saige. I probably will go ahead and order up the cct's as soon as my FJ sells. You've all got me worried now! To nice a bike to take any chances with. I'll check the number and get back to you, if memory serves it's like 1798 or similar.
NHSH, where in MA you from, out on the east end where they keep all my money, lol. I see a dirt bike in your avatar. I've got an 04 KX250 that's kept me busy the last few years. Been sticking mostly with MX tracks for the fun of it. To old to go fast, to tired to wrestle that beast in the woods! A couple of times a year at Southwick (tough track) a few at a nice little track up in New Hampshire and a little on small local tracks when they are available. Not many places left to ride thanks to the politicians in Boston.
I will send you a PM (check your mailbox)
Old 04-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Older and Slower
Squid

Ok guys you convinced me. I ordered up a set of Krieger CCTs this morning. This thing is to sweet to take any chances with.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
The dealer didn't mention that they were replaced and there is some wear on them. No sign of checking or age but it's probably better to be safe. I've had a front tire go flat on a bike before and it's no picnic to keep it upright and get it stopped. Any advice on what works well on these bikes. It was my understanding that Honda advised direct replacement with the stock factory tires. Something about the tire being integral to the design and handling of the bike.
Open to suggestions.
You can run any tire you like with no issues and you will hear many different opinions on what works. I run Q2s right now but I am a Dunlop guy

As for the tires you have now,The fresher the rubber, the better.
Always look for the 4 digit manufacture date code on the sidewall.
This tire was made in the 29th week of 2010.

New here, new SuperHawk-tire-production-code.jpg

I pass on new tires 3 years old and older.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:02 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
If the tires were manufactured prior to 2000, the DOT date code is only 3 digits, with the first 2 digits being the week (01 = 1st wk of January) and the third digit being the last number of the year (018 = 1st week of January in 1998).
Well... If he should find it to be prior to 2000, I guess the numbers are rather unimportant really, as that makes it 12+ years, and really ought to go in the bin...
Old 04-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Older and Slower
Squid

Thanks guys. I had forgotten about the date codes. I will definitely check the tires.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Superstock

kmm996
Welcome. Enjoy...
Old 04-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
You can run any tire you like with no issues and you will hear many different opinions on what works. I run Q2s right now but I am a Dunlop guy
The Michelin Pilot Powers are also a good choice. The just feel great on mine. You can get the original Pilot Powers a bit cheaper then the Pilot Power CT2's too, but the middle will likely wear a bit faster, like the Qualifiers vs. the Q2's (I think). All good tires. The Bridgestone BT-16's and BT-20's are another good choice and well liked. There are more mileage oriented versions of all those too if you want to give up a bit of traction to let them last longer.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Older and Slower
Squid

Originally Posted by NHSH
So, these are the slipons type, great pipes. The bike doe's look like a show room bike, very clean.
Congrats and welcome on board! Maybe we can meet up for a ride together
Well after a month or so of owning this bike I just had to give my impressions. Firstly the pipes are not slip-ons but the complete system, staintune is also stamped in the header pipes at the collector. Makes a for a sweet sound! I have to admit that being a rider for over forty years I can't remember a bike that so consistently brought giggles while riding like this one does. The combination of awesome torque, and light, nimble handling (I am a fairly conservative rider) along with the wonderful music this thing makes is just plain addicting. I will probably add a set of Helibars at some point as the current position creates a bit of discomfort in my right wrist but they are pricey. EVery time I take this bike out I come back grinning from ear to ear. It's just a hoot!
Old 06-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Squid

RobtheDrummer is on a distinguished road
Mine came with Staintunes as well, high mounted though. I love 'em! Beautiful bike man!
Old 06-02-2012, 04:52 AM
MotoGP

I can't remember a bike that so consistently brought giggles while riding like this one does. The combination of awesome torque, and light, nimble handling along with the wonderful music this thing makes is just plain addicting.
Now you know why we are all so passionate about these bikes! Let the mods begin.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:06 AM
Older and Slower
Squid

Yup, more fun than...... As for mods, I've already got the Kreiger CCTs waiting to go in, picked up a Sargent seat off ebay (instead of the stock torture device) and just sent a pmt for a used lower fairing. Would really like to do something with the bars but the heli's are just not in the budget right now. The only thing is, it almost seems blasphemous to put a wrench to this thing as it's so pristine!

Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
Now you know why we are all so passionate about these bikes! Let the mods begin.

Last edited by wayne; 06-02-2012 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Added photo
Old 06-02-2012, 05:13 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
I'm now debating what to do with my bars too. On my list of options are the Heli's you mention but also Apex adjustable clipons , and some plain old used VFR bars from ebay. You might want to consider all those too as they cost less. The Spiegler conversion kit for Superbike bars is the most elegant IMHO but also the most costly.

Quick Reply: New here, new SuperHawk