New Hawk Owner!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 06:48 PM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

eersfanpilot is on a distinguished road
New Hawk Owner!!!

Evening all.

I am finally fulfilling a goal of mine and buying a yellow Hawk. This will be my second bike. I am rather new to riding but have spent the last year on a 75 CB360T. I do not do any extreme riding, just putting around town mainly enjoying the freedom and relaxation.

Any advice on the bike would be greatly appreciated. I pick the bike up on the 9th and can't wait!
Old 07-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
The main issues are the cam chain tensioners (CCTs) and the regulator/rectifier (R/R). Do a search and you will find lots of helpful info... Post up some pics when you get your bike and welcome...
Old 07-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Back Marker

Dave in NY is on a distinguished road
Congratulations and welcome! Post pics when you get a chance. The 'hawk actually does lend itself to more relaxed riding (if that's your choice) 'cause of the torque, but you'll find it's a huge step up from the little Fours from the '70s. Don't whack the throttle open in first unless you're looking to reduce front tire wear...

Common things to watch out for are cam chain tensioner failure (CCTs) and regulator/rectifiers going south. Thre's lots of advice here dealing with both those problems, outside of that it's a reliable ride. You might want to think about saving up for some suspension upgrades too, if you're planning on keeping her for a while.

So you're a WVU fan, eh? My parents have a place a little south of Morgantown; I follow the 'eers and Cal. Steve Slaton was very good to me in last year's fantasy league, but I think the secret's out now...

Cheers!
Old 07-26-2009, 07:42 PM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

Thanks guys! I am well aware of the torque differential and will stay off the throttle until I am very comfortable with it. Great heads up regarding the CCT and R/R. I have saw the CCT mentioned before but this is the first I have heard about the R/R.

I am a WVU fan! Living in GA has been fun but we own the bragging rights over UGA and GT currently so until that changes, I am enjoying having wins over them. Pat White may be a sleeper for this years fantasy football. It will be interesting to see how Miami uses him.

Here is a pic of the bike. Like I said, I am picking it up on Aug 9th when I return from work and I am really looking forward to it.
Name:  SANY3040.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  144.6 KB
Old 07-26-2009, 08:05 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
sweet lookin ride. Looks pristine. Look at our signatures and find the mods you might be interested in. You might want to modify your pipes or buy some slip-ons to improve the sound and add a little character to start with. Enjoy the torque. Ride like everyone and everything is out to ruin your day.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:49 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Looks nice, welcome to the madness.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:32 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
Welcome. and congrats on picking the best color

In addition to the technical updates mentioned above, you might also look into some more comfort for your hands if you like a more relaxed ride. Seach for info on Helibars or VFR bars as either will put a bit more upright and are pretty easy to install.

Enjoy the easy power and hold on tight; The Shawk can deliver quite a surge of power from low down. Its like the CB360 x 8.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Superstock

pigwings
Be careful - you're getting the fastest color......................
Old 07-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Back Marker

Kators is on a distinguished road
Welcome. and congrats on picking the best color
Not so fast... I am just not a yellow guy...I did say that about red too though and here I am, with a red bike.

Welcome anyways, I just got mine a little more than a week ago. They wheelie very easy, be careful and have fun.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Superstock

kmm996
Welcome to the underground.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
Welcome.....nice lookin stock bike...very clean
Old 07-27-2009, 06:02 PM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

Thanks for the welcome!

I am looking forward to getting as much info I can off here and from you guys since you are the expertise on these bikes.

I guess I can try and return the favor if you guys have any aviation questions. Feel free to ask and I will help you out as much as I can.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:22 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Welcome. My first advice would be to get some good gear. Lots of members went down this season. Be Safe!!
Old 07-27-2009, 06:25 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Nice looking bike in the picture. Doesn't look like it has been messed with at at all. Plenty of good mods you can do over time to personalise your bike, and improve some if its weak points.

Welcome.