General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New Guy Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Squid

Meierznutz is on a distinguished road
New Guy Questions

Ok, so like it says, I'm the new guy. Just traded a 90 Mazda Miata for a 98 Superhawk with 30k miles on it. Bike looks good and runs good, no signs that she's been thrown down and other than a scuff or two on the top of the tank she is in great shape. I'm new to these but not new to bikes as I have owned about 6 and can honestly say I have over 50 k miles under my belt. SOOOO, what do I need to watch for with these? Is there something I should watch for? Thanks all....
Old 12-17-2010, 05:32 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum! And pics of the chicken when you get the chance...

These bikes run long and need little, the two things you should look for are replacing the CCT's and R/R. Both are at or under $100 fixes and take a day to do if you're really going slow. The more experienced on here can do either in an hour. If you need more info ask around but instructions and opinions are easy to find using the search feature. Other than that, ride and mod as you please!

If the cct's go out your engine is done (99% of the time) and if the R/R burns out you have no usable electricity...

Last edited by 7moore7; 12-17-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:39 PM
JPP
Superstock

JPP is on a distinguished road
Nice roads over in your parts. I was riding with a bud near Lake Winnemaug this past summer. I remember "Oakville" on a sign somewhere. We do the Marcus Dairy run about 3 or 4 times a season. I have yet to see a Hawk there.

Um... great bike and great forum.
jp
Old 12-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Squid

Thanks for the warm welcome folks. I spend a lot of time carving back roads with my Miatas {Miatai?}. I am on my forth one this year, I keep fixing them up and people keep giving me money for them.
The SH is one of those bikes I have always wanted. Well, that and an RC-30..... {yeah yeah, jump on the band wagon} I fell into this one and plan on running her a bit in the spring. I can't invest too much time into her though cause I have to get the LS-1 wired and fired in the other 1990 Miata I'm building. Whole 'nother story but worth the pictures when I can post them up later.
Love Marcus... met Malcome Forbes there one day back in '88. He bought my wife and I breakfast one rainy Sunday. Very nice man and a true spokesman for the sport. Wouldn't have guessed he owned half the world at the time. I hope I am as humble when I get that rich.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:55 PM
JPP
Superstock

JPP is on a distinguished road
That motor weighs as much as a Miata.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:31 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Welcome!

7moore7 got it nailed with those two issues for our bikes.

And do post pics of other projects we have the "everything else" section just for well.. everything else that is interesting.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:22 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum Meier! I also drooled over one specific rc30 for years (and now own a vtr).
Old 12-18-2010, 06:00 AM
Superstock

kmm996
Welcome.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:20 AM
Back Marker

tbartley is on a distinguished road
Welcome Meiernutz...these bikes do rock (but you know that coz you own one!) This site is THE PLACE for any question you could ever have about the Hawk (you know that coz you've joined).

Check out the Knowledge Base and you'll find excellent info. As stated above, utilize the search function. Also, check out the Tech Discussion forum and start perusing all the threads from the most recent backwards. You'll probably find all the info you're looking for and may get some ideas.

There are folks here whose faintest memories are full of more knowledge about these bikes than I'll ever learn. So when you can't find your answer...ask the question. Chances will be that someone has already asked the same question and there may be times when you get a little "character" with some responses, so just enjoy it when it's there. lol

Again welcome!
Old 12-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Squid

Thanks folks... sarcasim is a second language for me so I wont be offended by comments. I am hoping to have the bike home in about a month and that will give me time to do some preventive maintenance in time for spring.
I keep seeing threds about fork swaps... are the factory legs too soft? Thin walls cause a lot of flex? Can't wait for the weather to warm up and the sand to blow off the roads so I can go for a blast!
I may pull some pics from my laptop so you all can see "Nadine", the v-8 Miata. SHe's nearly done.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:45 PM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
Welcome