General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Need some solid tips on launching the SH @ dragstrip..

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 08:28 AM
Squid

Pdaddy
Need some solid tips on launching the SH @ dragstrip..

Im going to go to an event at a 1/8th mile strip close to my house Sunday. I have never ran a bike down a strip, Ive not practiced (yet) Launching the SH from a dead stop either. My bike is 100% stock engine and suspension wise. Any tips from those that have ran thiers down a dragstirp would be appreciated. Im a competetive person so I will be wanting to surprise some people if I can at the minimum. I think the 1/8th mile thing can play heavily to my advantage if I can get the bike to leave fast.... Im just going for fun, but I dont like to be the slow guy at anything...

Thanks in advance for any tips.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:49 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feather your clutch, don't try to just drop it or it will launch you instead of the bike. You also could use a tie down in front to lower the front end so it's less likely to wheelie, (I haven't tried this yet but know of others who have). Put about 25lbs in your year tire and make a pass, if you can handle that well, lower it some more. Remember the track surface will be ALOT stickier than regular pavement, keep your eyes on the tree and have a blast.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
If your tire is cold you'll spin so make sure you burn your tire for about five seconds and move it side to side so you get an even heat through most of the tire. And remember you don't need to spin it at 10k rpm, just give it enough throttle to keep it spinning otherwise you just liquify it. If you heat it properly you should have difficulty re-initiating a burnout because it will just push the front tire.

When you launch brace yourself on one of the pegs and lean over the front as much as you can and don't allow yourself to slide back until you're out of 3rd gear. You definately can't pour it all on from the get go because you'll lift your front end too high. You can feather the clutch or us a steady throttle hand whatever is easier for you. You might lift the front tire agian on the 2-3 shift but after that you should be WOT and shift around 9800rpm.

Also, tighten up your rear shock as tight as it will go and on your forks crank down your compression all the way and your rebound to 1/2 turn out. Oops I'm running 954 forks. I guess adust accordingly if the stock forks have the same adjusters.

Have fun!!! I wish I was there too!
Old 06-01-2006, 09:51 AM
MotoGP

Just thought of 1 more thing, don't use the clutch to up shift once you've launched. Just blip the throttle and shift no need to clutch it will slow you down.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
The VTR does not necessarily launch the best at the track. The clutch tends to be really grabby and will groan back at you (strangest noise I've heard from a bike) if you push it too hard. The best results I've had that are the easiest on the bike is just to do an abbreviated street start and then hammer it once the clutch lever is fully engaged. If you have your weight on the tank, it should be no problem keeping the front down. This isn't an inline-4, so don't try to launch it like your car or any other bike.

Good luck.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:58 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
The clutch tends to be really grabby and will groan back at you (strangest noise I've heard from a bike) if you push it too hard.
I was wondering if anybody else has heard that noise. Sounds like you put an alley cat in a blender!! Strange is right.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Squid

Pdaddy
Ive heard people say hydraulic clutches suck at the strip.. I dont plan to run it back to back all day or anything like that... I guess that depends on how much fun Im having though and if I feel I can get it faster.. LOL
Old 06-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Depending on your weight, you'll be lucky to get an 11.3 out of her in the 1/4. I'm not sure what that equates to in the 1/8th though.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Pdaddy
Ive heard people say hydraulic clutches suck at the strip.. I dont plan to run it back to back all day or anything like that... I guess that depends on how much fun Im having though and if I feel I can get it faster.. LOL
When the clutch fluid gets hot it expands and makes the clutch line more flexible. Coupled with overheated/grabby plates you get grab pulses with pour feedback through the lever. With a cable you get a better feel for an overheated clutch. It takes a few hard runs in a row to overheat a SH clutch though.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Superstock

Depending on your weight, you'll be lucky to get an 11.3 out of her in the 1/4. I'm not sure what that equates to in the 1/8th though.
I've seen a test where a stock hawk got a 10.82. This was in the hands of a pro but the point is high tens are possible.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:45 PM
MotoGP

Possible yes....easy NO. I never really preped mine except a teather kill and lower psi but the best I pulled was an 11.4 something at about 125mph. I need to find some of my old slips, it's been a while, track riding has been burning all my spare cash. Not that I'm a pro or anything like that but it is fun....BTW they get really upset if you try to do the 1/4 mile on 1 wheel. Just FYI
Old 06-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Originally Posted by Speed_Demon
I've seen a test where a stock hawk got a 10.82. This was in the hands of a pro but the point is high tens are possible.
HA!! Downhill, with a tailwind, a 100lb rider, strapped front end, and a drag slick maybe.

Sport Rider testers back in the day were able to pull an 11.17. Best I ever heard of was in the very low 11s. I've NEVER heard of any 10s on a VTR until now. Maybe a VTR as in RC51, but not VTR-F.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Superstock

HA!! Downhill, with a tailwind, a 100lb rider, strapped front end, and a drag slick maybe.

Sport Rider testers back in the day were able to pull an 11.17. Best I ever heard of was in the very low 11s. I've NEVER heard of any 10s on a VTR until now. Maybe a VTR as in RC51, but not VTR-F.
"At Los Angeles County Raceway our VTR clicked off an impressive 10.83 second quarter-mile at 127.32 mph"

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/97twins2.html