General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Need help doing wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Squid

superhawk81 is on a distinguished road
Need help doing wheelies

i have a 98 superhawk and i can get it up in 1st but have troubles riding it..... any advice would be nice.... thanks..
Old 06-26-2008, 11:35 AM
SuperCock roster
Back Marker

codfish124 is an unknown quantity at this point
more pratice and patainces i startes useing the cluch and it works well just start cluching in second caus frist will flip right on you
Old 06-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Squid

superhawk81 is on a distinguished road
what speed and rpm should i be in second to get it up?

Originally Posted by codfish124
more pratice and patainces i startes useing the cluch and it works well just start cluching in second caus frist will flip right on you
Old 06-26-2008, 12:08 PM
SuperCock roster
Back Marker

i can clutch them yp any where from 30 -55mph stock gearing in second i sit back to ride one out but id tell you sit with your nuts on the tank the frist few it wont come up so fast when you sit back it will rocket up be carfull
Old 06-26-2008, 12:10 PM
SuperCock roster
Back Marker

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...lie+motorcycle

watch this and rember our bikes are about 4k rim not the 7k he talks about
Old 06-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Back Marker

Arctic Fire is on a distinguished road
I think you need help using the search function. What type of Oil do you use?
Old 06-26-2008, 02:47 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
My advice would be "don't do wheelies".
Old 06-30-2008, 02:02 PM
MSF RiderCoach
Back Marker

radbikers is on a distinguished road
VTRsurfer has it right. Wheelies have no practical application for handling, speed or control. You don't see the experts trying to put the front end skyward. In fact, a wheelie is about as detrimental to good bike control and speed as anything you could do and still stay upright. All wheelies do is attract unwanted attention from everyone, put a bad taste in the public's mouth about sport bike riders, and make it harder for us to defend our sport (not to mention endanger the rider and everyone else around him). Lawmakers are actually trying to outlaw such displays, with serious penalties, in several states now.

If you are going to do wheelies or other stunting, take it to a closed course or venue. It has no place on the street or out in public.

Wheelies Are For Squids

JMHO - (flame suit on...)
Old 06-30-2008, 03:07 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
wheelies are for dirt bikes, when you want to get the front end over an obstacle...
Old 06-30-2008, 03:33 PM
MSF RiderCoach
Back Marker

radbikers is on a distinguished road
ok, point made, and thanks for the comment. I ride dirt as well, and there is a purpose for wheelies in the dirt. However, my position on street wheelies stands...
Old 06-30-2008, 03:53 PM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
Go to a big parking lot and practice. I couldn't clutch up a 1st gear wheelie, now I can clutch it up in 1st doing about 15mph, and work my way up to 3rd gear doing 100+ mph. I'm one of those weirdos I guess, as I never use the rear brake (Thought I do keep it covered) and rely strictly on balance. The superchicken has a mile wide balance point on it, but for awhile, your butthole will pucker up pretty tight till you get used to it.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:32 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
yes, wheelies are illegal, they are dangerous, and draw attention... However, So is speeding... The damage to property and others is often greater in accidents involving high speeds vs wheelies... One of the most exciting parts of riding, is being able to manipulate a machine that is FAR MORE POWERFUL than we are.

Sportscars - have the ability to break the wheels loose with ease, fish tail around a corner, and burn them leaving a light... Feeling of using all the HP...

BIG TRUCKS - having the ability to drive over **** that isn't meant to be driven over... having the HP to pull **** that isn't meant to be pulled...

and just the same on bikes.... A power wheelie, like dragging your knee around corners, allows you to through this powerful machine around, and is a awesome feeling... a clutch wheelie is similar, but is more of a manipulation of control thing...

So... Unless your one of those who never brakes the speed limit, and doesn't enjoy power... lay off with the wheelie lecture... there is the same amount of care that can be takin with wheelies as there is speed... its all careless... But truthfully, isn't riding around on a 400lb bike with 100+ HP pretty damn dangerous in the first place?

sorry for the rant... but it irritates the hell out of me when people go on complaining about wheelies... if you don't like them, don't do them... the thread title was pretty self explanitory... so if you hate wheelies, and don't do them... is there really a reason to post in this thread???????

ON a side note... I think learning to wheelie with 1st gear power up's is best... while they come up fast, they are way more predictable than clutch wheelies... once you get used to them, then clutching up in 1st and 2nd is easier... I actually find that clutching up in 1st at real low speeds is pretty easy, and the shift to 2nd once learned isn't bad... However I normally don't keep them going that damn long... I prefer the shorter power wheelie, as it just feels AWESOME !!!!!!!!
Old 06-30-2008, 08:38 PM
MotoGP

If you accelerate hard in 1st, you'll lift the front without even knowing it. My wife, following me on her SV650S, says my front wheel comes up almost every time I twist it hard from a traffic light. But a straight up wheelie in traffic can only cause the general public (cagers) to hate us more.

A radio station in LA, KLOS, has 2 AM DJs (Mark & Brian) who suggested that drivers open their doors if they see a motorcycle splitting lanes. This was back in the late '80s. If some people hate us that much for lane splitting, which is legal in CA, what do they think when a bike passes them at 75mph with the front wheel pointing at the sky?
Old 06-30-2008, 09:04 PM
v-twin4tmfw
Back Marker

996 is on a distinguished road
I like to wheelie while passing cars on a double yellow lined road.

OK just kidding I don't do that, but I do like to wheelie. And I think it's a little different when your out in the open country side vs. more populated areas. I'd have to guess that my wheelie habbit stems from my dirt days.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:08 PM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
what do they think when a bike passes them at 75mph with the front wheel pointing at the sky?
On their way to God.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:18 PM
MotoGP

Is that a prophesy from reaper?
Hey, in an empty parking lot or out in the middle of nowhere, no problem.

The first wheelie I did was on my '78 CX500, passing a slow car on a twisty road about 25 years ago. I thought I was grabbing 2nd, but it was first. I passed this young couple at a 45 degree angle.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:11 AM
Back Marker

nfbzike
try standing up on the bike at about 40-50 and pouncing on it slightly (pre-loading the suspension) and romp on the throttle. The bike will come up and you have a little bit better handle on the balance point... but keep the brake covered because it can come all the way back fast. also. If your brave, I pull mine up in 3rd at around 65+ from time to time. But to do that your gonna need to preload the suspension and clutch it at exactly the right time. The bike comes up pretty predictably ( not even a word but you get the idea) It will take alot of practice to pull a 3rd gear clutch wheelie on this bike as its not a 4 cylinder rocket. Also superhawks are limited in their redline so you have to have it close to the balance point to keep from accelerating away all your precious rpms. Let me know what you think. Ive got my wheelies down to at least 1/4 mile on the hawk in 2nd and 3rd.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:54 AM
Back Marker

Ohio Hawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Just eat alot of "Squid" that my help....
Old 07-01-2008, 07:13 AM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by joshuatest
So... Unless your one of those who never brakes the speed limit, and doesn't enjoy power... lay off with the wheelie lecture... there is the same amount of care that can be takin with wheelies as there is speed... its all careless... But truthfully, isn't riding around on a 400lb bike with 100+ HP pretty damn dangerous in the first place?

sorry for the rant... but it irritates the hell out of me when people go on complaining about wheelies... if you don't like them, don't do them... the thread title was pretty self explanitory... so if you hate wheelies, and don't do them... is there really a reason to post in this thread???????
I gotta agree with Joshua on this.

Something like those who live in a glass house should never cast stones comes to mind.

I NEVER wheelie in congested traffic or while around cars in general. Usually the only time I wheelie is if I'm in the mood for it and I'm on a open lonely stretch of straight and nice paved road. I understand there are the squids who make "stunting" an eye sore for the motorcycle crowd. But not everyone who wheelies is an idiot or is trying to be a 'superhero'. I'd be willing to bet that everyone on here has broken the law speeding on their favorite twisty road in their area enjoying the bike while leaned over but I'm not about to lecture on them as i'm just as guilty .

Last edited by haknslash; 07-01-2008 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:59 AM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by oahu hawk
wheelies are for dirt bikes, when you want to get the front end over an obstacle...
actually, wheelies are really fun to do all the time, dirt and street.