General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

My Official Intro Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:02 AM
Back Marker

CascadeRider is on a distinguished road
My Official Intro Thread

I actually picked up my 98 Firestorm yesterday, took it to DMV and got a title and plate for it... it came from Canada and sat dormant in a guy's garage for a year and a half.

Here's the rundown:

-It's yellow. I love yellow
-The metric ODO shows approx 86k km. - the guy threw in a US instrument cluster; not sure if I'll install it or sell it
-Stock CCT's
-D&D exhaust, the left can and pipe are ground down pretty well from road rash
-Front fairing is wonky; twisted somehow
-Forks/triples need reset-- wheel points to left slightly when bars are straight
-Frame sliders were some ugly pale yellow and one bracket was slightly bent downward.. I'm giving these away once I get replacements..

I bought a new battery today and rode the thing around a bit.. pretty solid, pretty loud. I absolutely love it. It's just what I needed after selling my Falco and then buying a VFR, which I sold Saturday to pay bills and buy this.

It needs some cleaning up and straightening up but was an absolute steal and it feels great to be back on a twin..

Here are a few pics.. more to come:

Name:  4d299e48.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  131.6 KB

Name:  47c18b56.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  138.9 KB
Old 07-21-2010, 05:25 AM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
Welcome. What do you think of the difference between the SH and the Falco?
Old 07-21-2010, 06:16 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
nice welcome to the forum. nice storm, where are you located?
Old 07-21-2010, 07:15 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
welcome!
Old 07-21-2010, 07:19 AM
WWTDD
Back Marker

Seattle_SuperHawk is on a distinguished road
welcome !!!
Old 07-21-2010, 08:30 AM
Back Marker

Thanks for the warm welcome(s)..

I'm in Roseburg, Oregon.

As far as comparing the Falco and SH.. similar, they are. I can't make a valid assessment until I get this thing running a little smoother.. I need to either run the 1.5 year old gas out of it (which is what I'll do) or drain the tank and start with some ethanol-free super and some other dandy additive or cleaner or something..

The riding position is very similar. Not being mean, but it's hard to compare an Italian bike to a Japanese one, even though the Falco seemed to be a rip-off of the SH. My SH doesn't pull as hard as the Falco did. But again, I should tune the thing up and change fluids before I decide.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:33 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Welcome
Old 07-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CascadeRider
Thanks for the warm welcome(s)..

I'm in Roseburg, Oregon.

As far as comparing the Falco and SH.. similar, they are. I can't make a valid assessment until I get this thing running a little smoother.. I need to either run the 1.5 year old gas out of it (which is what I'll do) or drain the tank and start with some ethanol-free super and some other dandy additive or cleaner or something..

The riding position is very similar. Not being mean, but it's hard to compare an Italian bike to a Japanese one, even though the Falco seemed to be a rip-off of the SH. My SH doesn't pull as hard as the Falco did. But again, I should tune the thing up and change fluids before I decide.
Agreed, it's not fair to compare a jap and an italian... The italian bikes would be first to the finish line if they made it there without running into a service intervall... Nah, seriously.. I'd like a Falco... And yeah, I always though they where a direct rip-of of the Superhawk/SV and ironicly that was supposed to be a rip-of on the 900SS... Both ended up being better than what they copied...

Once you get the Superhawk running the way it should, it should pull as hard as the Falco, but the Falco keeps going a bit after the hawk has run out of steam...
Old 07-21-2010, 07:40 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
After sitting for a year and a half, it not doubt needs a good carb cleaning. The pilot jets are quite small, and even though my '05 has never gone much more than a week without being ridden, I had a pilot (slow) jet completely plugged several months ago. It ended up causing a dead cylinder before I finally pulled the carbs and cleaned them. I had to soak the pilot jets in carb spray for about 30 minutes to get them cleared out.

Oh, and Welcome!
Old 07-21-2010, 08:16 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
If your bars don't point straight with the wheel, I wouldn't be surprised to find a bent fork.

Welcome
Old 07-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
After sitting for a year and a half, it not doubt needs a good carb cleaning. The pilot jets are quite small, and even though my '05 has never gone much more than a week without being ridden, I had a pilot (slow) jet completely plugged several months ago. It ended up causing a dead cylinder before I finally pulled the carbs and cleaned them. I had to soak the pilot jets in carb spray for about 30 minutes to get them cleared out.!
Yep, I nursed her home on one cylinder a while ago.. came across a bridge downtown, got pulled over for speeding, then went to fill up. On the way home, started running shitty, then thumped all the way on one cylinder. Awesome. LOL

Originally Posted by Syclone
If your bars don't point straight with the wheel, I wouldn't be surprised to find a bent fork.

Welcome
That's encouraging.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CascadeRider
Yep, I nursed her home on one cylinder a while ago.. came across a bridge downtown, got pulled over for speeding, then went to fill up. On the way home, started running shitty, then thumped all the way on one cylinder. Awesome. LOL

That's encouraging.
The running on one cylinder in your case, is likely due to the vent getting gas to slosh into it, which is a common problem on these bikes. I have to be particularly careful with the throttle for a bit after filling mine. If you open the tank and hear a "whoosh" of air rushing in, and after doing so it'll run well again, then you've found your problem. Still, after having sat for so long, VTRSurfer is right, you should go through the carbs. Pilots love to slowly clog. Even if it runs, it may not be as large an opening as it should be.

And congrats!
Old 07-22-2010, 06:42 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the fold. Get her sorted out and enjoy the ride.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by wyldryce
The running on one cylinder in your case, is likely due to the vent getting gas to slosh into it, which is a common problem on these bikes. I have to be particularly careful with the throttle for a bit after filling mine.
Funny you should bring that up.. I've been riding the bike around for a day and a half (on 1.5 year old fuel) with no issues (sans my suspicion of a charging issue) until these events:

-Got pulled over for doing 43 in a 30
-Was issued a verbal warning!
-Started the bike and pulled across the street and filled up with premium
-Overfilled it and got a bunch of fuel in the vent drain area or whatever
-Started the bike, rode 3/4 of a mile to enjoy a cold beverage
-30 minutes later, got on the bike and rode 1 mile on the way home, where it sputtered and ran on one cylinder
-Got home, opened the fuel cap, closed the fuel cap, started it.. still funky
-Went to bed
-Got up this morning, started it, still running on one cylinder
-Drove my car to work

I'm wondering if there's something else I should do relating to the vent from the overfill area around the cap before I start tearing carbs off..

Again, thanks for the welcome!
Old 07-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Superstock

pwshadow is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
Agreed, it's not fair to compare a jap and an italian... The italian bikes would be first to the finish line if they made it there without running into a service intervall... Nah, seriously.. I'd like a Falco... And yeah, I always though they where a direct rip-of of the Superhawk/SV and ironicly that was supposed to be a rip-of on the 900SS... Both ended up being better than what they copied...

Once you get the Superhawk running the way it should, it should pull as hard as the Falco, but the Falco keeps going a bit after the hawk has run out of steam...
Hit the brakes there Tweety. I just got done reading last months literbike comparo in cycle world. The new Aprilia was the slowest bike around the track, and on the strip. In your defense the $25k Ducati was the fastest.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Which bikes was that? Remember... I'm not US based...
Old 07-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Back Marker

That's funny because I thought that comparo showed the S1000RR first, followed by 4 other European bikes, followed by all the Japanese bikes..
Old 07-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Superstock

nope. around a track First place was the Ducati, then the German Monster, then the jap bikes and the KTM, then the Aprilia RSV4. I think you are thinking of the month before when they did the Master Bike comparo.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Superstock

And the BMW is powerful but the Ducati is a dream machine. It has over 90lb ft of torque and weighs almost a flat 400lbs dry. The Aprilia was heavy and underpowered. On the drag strip the CBR beat all of the bikes. Including the BMW.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by pwshadow
I think you are thinking of the month before when they did the Master Bike comparo.
Ah yes... that is the case.

And as for this:

The running on one cylinder in your case, is likely due to the vent getting gas to slosh into it, which is a common problem on these bikes.
wyldryce NAILS it! After work tonight I came home to inspect the tank overflow hose.. I followed it and found that it (and a few others) were coiled up inside the left fairing. I dropped them down so they were pointing downward and fuel came out of the one.

I then opened the fuel cap and closed it (didn't hear anything to speak of) and started her up and away I went..

Still going to go through the carbs, but I can ride in the meantime, and that's awesome.

So how should those drain hoses be situated anyway?
Old 07-22-2010, 11:22 PM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear it! I don't run a stock tank, so I can't comment on the drain hoses. I do know that even with my harris tank (though I have heard of this with the stock tank as well) right after filling, any hard acceleration, wheelies, hard braking etc, can cause this situation. I have a lever release on my cap, so if it starts dropping a cylinder, I just reach down and flip that up for a second, which is all you need to stop the starvation of that cylinder. With a locking gas cap, it might be a little harder, but with re-routing you should be able to eliminate this happening regularly. I normally run a little less fuel in mine around town (it's a larger tank anyway so no big deal) and then just fuel up prior to any larger trip.

Enjoy the new ride. And take a bit of time to figure out whether your front end is tweaked.

Cheers,
Ross
Old 07-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Back Marker

GAnd take a bit of time to figure out whether your front end is tweaked.
Will do, for sure. That's next on my list. I'm searching for confirmation, but I haven't done any front end word before so I don't know how to best attack that. I don't have front and rear stands yet (gave them away with the Falco-- why do I always do that!) but I'm wondering if I can just loosen the triples up with a buddy and see if we can straighten things that way...