My first time.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Uhhhhh..huh.huh..Member..
Superstock

Springbubba is on a distinguished road
My first time.

Wow. What a morning.

So I hooked up with a 150 mile group ride in the area, led by a very knowledgeable, and friendly guy, Clay. I, and a few others, met up with Clay an hour before the ride started, so he could fill us in on the roads we would be on and give us some tips.

This was my first big group ride, and I have only had a sportbike, the SH, for 3 months. I wanted to go on this ride to gain experience in the twisties.

So we are hanging out before the start getting some useful info from Clay, the whole time being interupted by some hooligan who told us all about how he runs from the cops......We proceed to watch 20+ bikes show up for this ride. Mostly your standard sportbike assortment, a VFR I thnk, 1 Ducati, and my Superhawk.

Name:  RidePic1.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  89.4 KB

This bunch turns out to be a whole mess of guys in racing leathers and waaaaaay more experience than I have. I was intimidated to say the least. Clay assured me it would not be an issue. So off we go.

We looked like a parade on our way out of town. Pretty impressive really. We hit the twisties after a short distance, and thats when it happend: I found out what really riding a Superhawk felt like! I followed the guy in front of me into corners at speeds that had me worried at first.

The new Pilot Road 2's were amazing. I was sloppy to say the least, and I felt like those tires were taking care of me. Awesome! I got used to the pace after a few miles, and it was exciting. So I'm starting to feel good about it and OH ****!!!!! ONE...TWO...THREE...bikes in front of me ride right into the ditch on this freaky downhill switchback. It was pretty slow, and the guys were fine. Bikes not so fine. One would not start again (the pink flames Ninja 250 you see in the pic, guy borrowed his GFs bike), one got 2 badly bent rims. The other, an R6, just some slide damage. I felt bad for them, and at the same time I was happy that I was able to avoid adding myself to the tally. Sorry no pics...

First time I watched bikes lose it. That was the 13 mile mark. And that was enough for me. Most of them continued on. They were a little to aggressive for me. A guy on a SV650 left the group before we even got that far, and he was more experienced than me. I'll be slowly building my skills before I try a ride with a bunch like that again. Awesome to know now what I can potentially do on my SH. I just want to be more comfortable riding like that.

Sorry for the long drawn out story. But you don't have anything better to do, right?
Old 07-26-2008, 03:00 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Good move leaving the group. Its good to know the people you are riding with and that you can trust them to not "squid out".

When I'm in the twisties and there are a lot of aggressive egomaniacs out, I worry more about someone taking me out than anything else. Well, I don't really worry about it, but I know it can and does happen. Just look at some of the roadraces.

Last month my wife and I were on Ortega Hwy, the premier canyon ride around here, when she got a scare. I was about 1/2 mile ahead of her when a guy on a CBR or some other 4 cyl came around a blind right hander OVER THE DOUBLE YELLOW passing 2 cars. My wife was in the left hander going the opposite direction.

Maybe you can hook up with Clay again in a smaller group. I ride with my wife (SV650S) or a good friend that has 2 Ducatis (851 and 998), or I ride alone. But its good to have a mentor when you're starting to ride the twisties.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 07-26-2008 at 04:10 PM. Reason: add to post
Old 07-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Will drum for BBQ
Back Marker

HondaJim is on a distinguished road
It pays to know your group. Group rides can be a good way to improve your skills with the right people, but a lot of times it turns into an egofest and somebody can take you out. Good move packing it in and waiting for another time.

Group signals are a good thing to know if they use them. The local group of fast guys here use them all the time and look out for each other. Makes rides a much more enjoyable enviorment.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:24 PM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
I ride with my son, oldest daughter, and son in law often, sometimes one or two others in the group. Son in law has this nasty habit of passing without any warning that really pisses everybody off. But he rides a cruiser, so you know how we handle that ****. I just have to make sure my little girl stays well behind him. She's been told. Riding alone seems to make a real motorcyclist out of you. Just don't get hurt too bad to limp home somehow. Trusting who you're with is important, but complacency has no place. Ride fast, Superhawk mirrors really suck!
Old 07-26-2008, 06:37 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
you lucky

Sounds like a mess. I usually start to get an idea about rider by what they say like the guy who runs from cops probably wont be your best riding partner. When everyone shows up in leathers and the group is 20 or so almost for sure someone is going down. Thats just too much testosterone for it to be avoided. My problem is I would't always know when to quit and the competetive nature in me would make me want to push it. So Bubba suspension feel better in turns now than before or do you like it better the way we had before. Im glad you didn't get tangled up in that mess. So what did the downed riders say happened any funny responses? Like my bike made me crash.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Will drum for BBQ
Back Marker

HondaJim is on a distinguished road
When three bikes auger in the first guy messed up and the rest target fixated. The responses will vary across the universe.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:46 PM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HondaJim
When three bikes auger in the first guy messed up and the rest target fixated. The responses will vary across the universe.
+5
Old 07-26-2008, 07:08 PM
SuperBike

Well usually its everyone elses fault, or if that doesn't work its the universes. Also why do we say "layed down" we should really say crashed misserably... since it rare it happens real gently like "laying down for a nap" usually doesn't involve hitting your head on anything...I dont know just a thought. When I "crashed" it din't feel very "layed down like". More like "ouch" and oh crap my fairing blew to pieces
Old 07-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by HondaJim
I didn't talk to any of the guys that went down, but I did hear someone say "I got hit from behind, I don't know who hit me." So some following to close may have been involved.

My suspension seems just fine to me. The bike was smooth as silk. It was my experience that was lacking. It was fun pulling out of those corners without changing gears!

Some new info:

There was ANOTHER crash during the ride after I left! The guy was OK. Also, some of the group was almost ran down by an SUV piloted by a bunch of 16 year olds. The SUV ended up wraped around a pole. The three boys came out alive.

I am looking forward to riding with some not so crazy folks.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:38 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Springbubba
I am looking forward to riding with some not so crazy folks.
Sounds like a good plan. Glad you had fun for the most part though. How was Clay to ride with?
Old 07-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Gregw
Sounds like a good plan. Glad you had fun for the most part though. How was Clay to ride with?
Clay is a really nice guy. I feel bad for him, because it was clear before we started that he wanted it to be more in control. I never rode near him. I was in the middle of the pack, and I only went 13 miles with the group. I am sure he is upset about the mayhem.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:01 PM
SuperBike

I guess its a good thing my coil hadn't come in yet I might have gotten caught up in it as well. I don't want to have to fix the sh again. I will ride with you again if I qualiy as "not so crazy"

Last edited by Little_Horse; 07-26-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:30 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
If you ride with an unknown group again, you might want to hang back and take up the rear until the personality of the group surfaces.

Glad the bike works for you. Getting your weight slightly forward while hard cornering will put more weight on the front tire. Some good reads are Kieth Code's "A Twist Of The Wrist" and Nick Ienatsch's "Sport Riding Techniques".
Old 07-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
If you ride with an unknown group again, you might want to hang back and take up the rear until the personality of the group surfaces.

Glad the bike works for you. Getting your weight slightly forward while hard cornering will put more weight on the front tire. Some good reads are Kieth Code's "A Twist Of The Wrist" and Nick Ienatsch's "Sport Riding Techniques".
Clay mentioned those same books.

Cornandp: You are one of the "not so crazy" ones. I already know that. Can't wait til you SH is purring again!