General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

maybe the next great upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 12:39 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
maybe the next great upgrade?

Just reading sport rider mag. The new R1 is using a cool system for its forks. One fork is for compression and the other for rebound. We'll have to get Greg on this one.

they also did something to the engine to give it significant torque and sound unlike any in-line four. More like a twin or V-4.

I love those Japs!
Old 03-25-2009, 01:00 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Nothing new in separating the damping functions (for example, the FZ1 has been doing this since 2005).

The new crank phasing used on the R1 (and initially developed for the M1) is interesting though. In essence, it makes the R1`s inline engine behave much a 90 degree V4 with a 180 degree crank phasing.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
The firing order is kinda like a VTwin. It's Long Bang as opposed to Big Bang from a twin. Much less resting time between pulses.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:33 PM
SuperBike

Truckinduc is on a distinguished road
yes I love the now cross plain motor. Sounds amazing.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:39 PM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
It will be nuts when MR technology finds its way into motorcycle suspension. $$$$ but niiiiice
Old 03-25-2009, 01:39 PM
Back Marker

doggerman is on a distinguished road
The cross plain motor does sound good.Less screaming and whining.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:20 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nath981
The new R1 is using a cool system for its forks. One fork is for compression and the other for rebound.
Honestly, I don't really like this idea. It kind of unbalances the front end. There was some testing done some years back concerning spring rates in the forks. I think is Max McAllister of Traxxion (I hope I don't scare anyone off with that) who used a rider that didn't know what the changes were - he just gave feedback on the results. They tried different spring rates in each fork using the theory of Rate1 + Rate2 = TotalRate. They also tried putting a spring (double the rate) in one fork only. All of these should have theoretically been identical. The problem was that it didn't work out that way. The rider didn't care for the different rate setup and absolutely could not ride the one-spring version. From a strictly free body diagram point of view looking at just the forces splitting up the damping does the same thing. My guess is that it's just for cost purposes only. If you look at the Yamaha race bikes I'd guess you'd find a setup using balanced damping in each fork.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:07 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Honestly, I don't really like this idea. It kind of unbalances the front end. There was some testing done some years back concerning spring rates in the forks. I think is Max McAllister of Traxxion (I hope I don't scare anyone off with that) who used a rider that didn't know what the changes were - he just gave feedback on the results. They tried different spring rates in each fork using the theory of Rate1 + Rate2 = TotalRate. They also tried putting a spring (double the rate) in one fork only. All of these should have theoretically been identical. The problem was that it didn't work out that way. The rider didn't care for the different rate setup and absolutely could not ride the one-spring version. From a strictly free body diagram point of view looking at just the forces splitting up the damping does the same thing. My guess is that it's just for cost purposes only. If you look at the Yamaha race bikes I'd guess you'd find a setup using balanced damping in each fork.
you may be right Jamie. Time will tell. according to the article the front felt very good. they also acknowledged that they were skeptical because earlier versions were based on economic factors, but they were pleasantly suprised with the excellent wheel control and feedback. i can't imagine that yamaha would do anything half-assed relative to the R1. Of course their not infallible but they're much closer to it than to the other end of the spectrum. like I said, history will answer the question more definitively.

thanks, nathan

Last edited by nath981; 03-26-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:18 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by nath981
you may be right Jamie. Time will tell. according to the article the front felt very good. they also acknowledged that they were skeptical because earlier versions were based on economic factors, but they were pleasantly suprised with the excellent wheel control and feedback. i can't imagine that yamaha would do anything half-assed relative to the R1. Of course their not infallible but they're much closed to it than to the other end of the spectrum. like I said, history will answer the question more definitively.

thanks, nathan

Actually, the R1 has never been known for being a great track bike in stock form. They are ok, don't get me wrong, just not the kind of bike you'd want to pattern your setup after. I've known Yamaha to be half-assed so I'm kind of biased when it comes to stuff like this. From what I've seen out of them over the years (and recently) I'm not very quick to throw many compliments their way!
Old 03-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Squid

JoeSnowden is on a distinguished road
I may be wrong but I think the old Cagiva Mitos and Planets had forks similar to what has been mentioned.

All the best

Joe
Old 03-25-2009, 07:33 PM
MotoGP

Actually, the R1 has never been known for being a great track bike in stock form. They are ok, don't get me wrong, just not the kind of bike you'd want to pattern your setup after. I've known Yamaha to be half-assed so I'm kind of biased when it comes to stuff like this. From what I've seen out of them over the years (and recently) I'm not very quick to throw many compliments their way!
I think about where we'd be if it were not for Japanese technology and their qualtiy standards with respect to so many areas and their general way of doing things compared to what I've experienced in this country with our major manufacturers. I've personally have had enough of Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, Harley Davidson, et al for many reasons mostly to do with their modus operandi of charging high prices for products built intentionally to fail for purposes of job security. Instead of doing things well, like building good roads for instance, we're satisfied to build **** that needs rebuilt often before they can be paid for. If you are financially able to trade every few years, it may not matter to you, but I'm not and it does matter to me.

Everyone is not the same, and there are indeed quality manufacturers here, but there seems to be a preponderance of high priced low quality products being marketed here. Like I said, they're not perfect but comparatively, I love toyota, honda, yamaha, sony, subaru, etc.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:00 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I thought the M1 used the rebound in one leg and compression in the other fork arrangement?
Old 03-26-2009, 06:10 AM
Will drum for BBQ
Back Marker

HondaJim is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
I thought the M1 used the rebound in one leg and compression in the other fork arrangement?

Everything I've read said the same.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Squid

Gtrain00 is on a distinguished road

I think it was motorcycle.com that took to the track with all the 09' 1k models- cbr1k, gsxr,zx-10, R1, and even the 1198 duc. The R1 finished first according to them.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Super Byrd
Superstock

Byrdman is on a distinguished road
my boss just bought The new R1 and its freakin amazing! and he just bought a 08 CBR 1000. I like the Honda better, even thought the R1 sounds better.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:30 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Gtrain00
I think it was motorcycle.com that took to the track with all the 09' 1k models- cbr1k, gsxr,zx-10, R1, and even the 1198 duc. The R1 finished first according to them.
The key would be the "motorcycle.com" part!