General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

making a swingarm brace?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 04:36 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
making a swingarm brace?

i just checked ebay and came up dry for a brace so my brain started to spin, so i sat down, and then thought to myself, it cant be that hard to make a brace, so aluminum square bar, some cutting, some welding, and bobs your uncle. so im wondering if anyone has made one or has some tips for making one? im sure tweety is gonna chime in so i eagerly await his reply
Old 10-06-2010, 04:48 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
(Former?) member Truckindc made one for his streetfighter. I personally chose to use a brace from a 900RR as I figured there would be no metallurgical issues with going that route (welding dissimilar alloys)...... Also, by buying a 900 swinger, you also get the rear caliper bracket which you'll need to make room for the caliper...
Old 10-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
Im in the middle of welding the 900rr brace myself. I think it will be easier to just cut the top off the 900 swingarm then try and make your own. I guess if you have the time to make your own brace all you need is a tube bender and alluminum square tubing, it would be a lot of trial and error though...
Old 10-06-2010, 05:51 PM
SuperBike

im sure if someone were to measure up theres it wouldnt be too hard to make. just a matter of getting the height correct so it doesnt hit anything

im gonna keep looking for a brace but they seem to be damn near impossible to find outside of this forum unless theyre on a swingarm already.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:11 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Just buy a swingarm (eBay) and cut it off....
Old 10-06-2010, 06:43 PM
SuperBike

I'm looking for one. Everyone want more to whip it then its worth to buy
Old 10-06-2010, 07:00 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
FWIW welding different alloys is a non issue as long as one of the alloys is not a particularly high number. Aluminum comes in series ranges in the thousands I have no idea what the swing arm is but since I have welded on one with success so it is not extremely high series. So if you decide to build your own I would try and find a 5000 series alloy as it will still form but is a bit harder so it will be stronger. It would weld just fine with out issue to the stock swing arm. Just don't anodize it when you are done because different alloys color differently, other then that enjoy.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:49 PM
SuperBike

Good to know thanks bud. I wonder if I could take a brace off another swingarm that's the same style and bend and cut it to make it fit :-)
Old 10-06-2010, 08:33 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
thats what Trinc had me do for him a year or so ago. He did the 900rr mod it works out very nicely no bending needed. If I ever get around to bracing mine though I will fab it from scratch. I figure I can manage to also avoid having to modify the rear caliper.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
There is one on e-bay right now for $20 opening bid. Kind of hard to make one at that price. I believe any brace up to '99 can be used with no real problem, so that does give you a good range to look through.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:48 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I'd have no trouble making one from scratch, and others like cornandp are wired the same way, ie nothing is impossible... But I'm generally lazy... It's easier to take a 900RR swing and cut of the brace and brake caliper mounting and weld on to the OEM one... It's kind of made to order...
Old 10-07-2010, 04:42 AM
SuperBike

trust me id much rather find a brace and weld it on, but that 20 dollar swingarm is 90 to ship plus whatever other taxes ill get hit with itll be an easy $150 by the time it gets to me. ideally id like to find a wrecked bike and a swingarm with some damage and hope the brace isnt too bad and fix it from there

i think it may just become a winter project for me, ill get some tube and fab something up with a machinist/welder buddy of mine unless i find something a little cheaper