General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Loud pipes....save lives?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 10:24 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Loud pipes....save lives?

So not to get anyone up in arms, but was on a discussion elsewhere about this. I did not know this was more of a political statement than a real question of opinion.
Anyway, what do you guys think? Most of us have pipes or are getting them right?
To me its clear. If the bad guys know youre there, they are a bit less likely to kill you. Whether by lights, bright clothing, or sound. (not at motogp earshatter levels, just some sound)
Whats your vote?
Old 01-29-2018, 02:41 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Pipes definitely help from a safety perspective although I prefer their entertainment value !

A VTR without Cans is almost sinful I reckon!

Mine have scared the **** out of a few people .( Including me )

I am onto my 3rd set now ( They are loud, but a good loud ) and am happy except for the fact that I now wear ear plugs.

Just love that "beat "
Old 01-29-2018, 05:05 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
So not to get anyone up in arms, but was on a discussion elsewhere about this. I did not know this was more of a political statement than a real question of opinion.
Anyway, what do you guys think? Most of us have pipes or are getting them right?
To me its clear. If the bad guys know youre there, they are a bit less likely to kill you. Whether by lights, bright clothing, or sound. (not at motogp earshatter levels, just some sound)
Whats your vote?
What do i think?
If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride would do !
Old 01-29-2018, 05:49 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kenmoore
Pipes definitely help from a safety perspective although I prefer their entertainment value !

A VTR without Cans is almost sinful I reckon!

Mine have scared the **** out of a few people .( Including me )

I am onto my 3rd set now ( They are loud, but a good loud ) and am happy except for the fact that I now wear ear plugs.

Just love that "beat "
+1 Agree on all counts ;-)))
Though the ear plugs is a good practice in any case when you out of town, the wind noise itself is very exhausting, I can do many more miles with ear plugs then without, noise by itself makes you tired, it is a physical and medical fact!
If you haven't been using them already, try it and see for your self.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:07 AM
MotoGP

Yes I agree with the earplug thing. Although depending on the helmet I've seen evidence that highway wind buffeting is maybe more damaging than the sound.
I guess I didn't realize that there is a group of bikers who HATE the Harley guys who they associate the slogan with.
So its not even that they see the question but just hate the group so are powerless to objectively answer it.
Heck a lot of them have NEVER ridden a bike that has any sound.
I live and ride in the belly of the beast. Survival is at a premium. Loud (not obnoxious) pipes have saved my life. Point blank.
In my early days I was a silent bike guy. Got hit by many cabs (broadside), a bus, a box truck, a bicycle, a pedestrian, pigeons at 55, etc. With pipes, NONE of that happened.
I have found its more about the concept of bothering others than survival. For me I simply don't have that luxury.
I keep my 2bros slipons newly packed so I barely louder than my buddys stock Aprilia shiver.
I just find it weird how people drink the cool aide and will say to only wear adv bright jackets but stay silent.
99.9% of those guys live & ride through open green meadows with bluebirds helping them with gear.
My experience is vastly different.
Kinda like tae bo vs a south Bronx street fight. Similar motions, much higher stakes.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:49 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Definitely agree with earplugs. Eliminates the wind noise and you just hear the wonderful exhaust. I feel it also does wonders for fatigue/focus on a longer ride and you'll probably also keep your hearing a lot longer as well.

Exhaust on our bikes? Absolutely. A large part of why I bought one new back in '99 (aside from the awesome reviews and IMHO the great looks) was simply because they sounded so damn good. It's like owning a VFR or any Ducati with a stock exhaust... I mean why would you? Not sure how much safer it makes the bike (though I can't imagine being LESS noticeable with some more sound), but my own amusement (as well as everyone around me) is reason enough.

Now as far as all the f&@&ing squids riding around with Autozone tailpipes (I'm sorry I guess calling them "shorties" or "MotoGP" pipes allows you to charge hundreds of dollars for them) on their sportbikes? Yeah you're a jackass, and thanks to you other's often assume we're jackasses too. As far as Harleys go I also feel some sort of muffler will always sound better and still be plenty loud enough. Not being an asshat racing your engine looking to get noticed also goes a long way.

And just a side note but I'm not sure if everyone is aware that only the stock exhaust is actually "legal." Thankfully, at least in my experience, there is pretty much zero enforcement of this. Yes I've seen downtown areas that post signs about loud exhausts, but I think if you're sober and don't make a spectacle of yourself you'll usually be left alone. Found this out years ago when I sold an exhaust to someone on Ebay and he wanted a refund because I didn't tell him the exhaust wasn't street legal. After phoning several different exhaust manufacturers I was told by each of them that no one (at least in America) actually makes a "street legal" exhaust other than the OEM stuff.

Last edited by captainchaos; 02-07-2018 at 07:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-29-2018, 04:11 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Like Joe I have a set of the 2Bros C2 slip-ons and try to keep them packed. I've been told by motorcyclists and not that they sound very good and are not too loud (at least compared to the horde of HD riders here in the epicenter of HOG country).

However, the volume and db is primarily expelled rearward, not the direction most threats come from. A loud pair of horns, one pointing forward and another to the right, plus a headlight modulator, bright side marker lights, and an auxiliary brake light of some flavor IMO are essential on the mean streets.

When I have the moola, I plan on getting a full Black Widow system on my FJ-09. My RD400 has expansion chambers and tiny stinger mufflers, so no worries there.

https://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk...-sc36-36-c.asp
Old 01-29-2018, 10:04 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Loud pipes do save lives. Skip right to 1:05
Old 01-30-2018, 07:30 PM
PNW Tour Guide
Squid

skifreak is on a distinguished road
I put aftermarket pipes on both of my bikes (V&H on my VTR and Delkevic on my VFR) not to be safe, but because they sound live gear head heaven. If they alert people to my presence, then that is an added bonus.

I think we all know we depend on our riding skill and defensive riding to save our own lives. Things like riding with two fingers covering the brake in town to lessen reaction time, practicing panic braking skills and maybe an occasional track day to polish our technique will go much farther than loud pipes to save our skin.

Given that, aftermarket pipes on a VTR are a must. Bring on the noise.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:40 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
For additional anecdotal evidence on loud pipes see South Park.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:17 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Not sure I completely agree with this theory. Sit in your car, and try and listen to a bum f... Harley coming behind you, you won't hear a damn thing before he gets ahead of you. By then, you no longer need to hear him....he's right there ! And now, his pipes are nothing but annoying.
Yeah if you're standing on a side walk, you can hear them from a mile away, who cares, you're standing and not really a threat.

So do they really save lives, no one seams to be able to come up with proof of this, but claim it. Yet I still see bikes with wide open pipes appear at my shop following a wreck and the most common explanation I get, 'The guy in the opposite lane turned left in front of me because he didn't see me' . And that's when they survive the crash. So no, load pipes haven't saved them in these situations.

Then you have the texters...Oh boy, don't get me started on that sorry gang of **** for brains dumb asses. Left turns and texters scare the hell outta me.
My 0.02$
Old 02-01-2018, 06:25 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Jack Flash
Not sure I completely agree with this theory.
So do they really save lives, no one seams to be able to come up with proof of this, but claim it.
Well, I live in an area where the deer population is crazy high. Any time of the day, they can hear me coming for miles, so they are alert and aware of my presence. Kind of hard to prove it helped prevent them from running in fromnt of my Casey Stoner shenanigans, saving my life. I am lmao btw, but you get the point. Have to add the YMMV too.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:53 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Wolverine
Well, I live in an area where the deer population is crazy high. Any time of the day, they can hear me coming for miles, so they are alert and aware of my presence. Kind of hard to prove it helped prevent them from running in fromnt of my Casey Stoner shenanigans, saving my life. I am lmao btw, but you get the point. Have to add the YMMV too.
Even this point has me scratching my head unsure..
I too live in rats with antlers infested county. Deer strikes happen every day and night, multiple times in my daily local area.
At known crossing or grazing points its about a 50/50 chance of my bike "scaring them away" or freezing them in place, or they cross in front of me.(I guess thats a 33.333% chance)
Like most i assume they will cross..Coming home from Austin (where I commonly have work) to my home in Kempner ) on the bike at night is a stress inducing, many dozen of deer encounter game.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:02 AM
SuperBike

Here Down Under we have the same problems with Kangaroos. They are very fast and appear out of nowhere. In some areas folks will not drive at night.

Here is a cheap inexpensive way to give yourself a better chance of not hitting one. Lots of users swear by these little plastic devices !

Here is a link , you can buy them almost anywhere here in Oz and they are a common site on all sorts of vehicles.

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/Ultrasonic...per/1787981648

I don't know what effect they would have on deers and other wildlife but they seem to work on Kangaroos !
Old 02-02-2018, 04:33 PM
Back Marker

Aquasnake is on a distinguished road
Here Down Under we have the same problems with Kangaroos. They are very fast and appear out of nowhere. In some areas folks will not drive at night.

Here is a cheap inexpensive way to give yourself a better chance of not hitting one. Lots of users swear by these little plastic devices !

Here is a link , you can buy them almost anywhere here in Oz and they are a common site on all sorts of vehicles.

I don't know what effect they would have on deers and other wildlife but they seem to work on Kangaroos !
We have the same bloody things here in the States, sold as deer whistles or somesuch name.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:44 AM
Back Marker

fabiostar is on a distinguished road
i still get a chuckle setting off car alarms as i ride past. and lots of popping and banging on the overrun .
Old 02-04-2018, 09:41 PM
MotoGP

In my experience I can hear a bike coming from behind me WAY back. Unless the closing speed is triple digits you know they are coming. In every theory awareness = safer.
How can the insane super politically correct adv crowd swear by neon jackets but then (based mostly on PC and peer pressure) say sound doesn't alert you?
Also, how are loud pipes both REALLY annoying and also unable to be heard simultaneously.??
If they are annoying then MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

I want to state, though, I mean responsibly loud. Like my TB fully fiberglass packed high mounts. Sound but not deafening sound. I am not trying to hurt peoples feelings, just let them know I am there.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:37 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road

I had my share of Kangaroo encounter that left me with dislocated left thumb (sucked with the clutch you can imagine, but was lucky it was just that), not far from your area north west of Woolongong on my XR650 doing offroad, the noise definitely scared the Kangaroo, but instead of hopping away, the bugger decided to hop right in front of me in mid air collision that took me down to the forest floor.
As Eric mentioned, I am not sure if the noise actually help with the wild animals or can cause them to react in an unwanted way....
Old 02-06-2018, 11:56 PM
SuperBike

NHSH,

I used to work in Wollongong!

Bloody kangaroos, I have been lucky and haven't hit one but my brother got cleaned up 3 times by Roos on his way to work early in the morning. I told him to fit some loud pipes and he never had any more problems.

Maybe it was just luck but I think sound is good on a bike, just not obnoxious sound !
Old 02-07-2018, 12:06 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Even this point has me scratching my head unsure..
I too live in rats with antlers infested county. Deer strikes happen every day and night, multiple times in my daily local area.
At known crossing or grazing points its about a 50/50 chance of my bike "scaring them away" or freezing them in place, or they cross in front of me.(I guess thats a 33.333% chance)
Like most i assume they will cross..Coming home from Austin (where I commonly have work) to my home in Kempner ) on the bike at night is a stress inducing, many dozen of deer encounter game.
It's at least plausible. But I agree.
Last season, on the Multistrada my wife and I were hauling the mail on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Came up on a younger deer about 15-20 yards off the road, off all things, taking a dump. It stayed froze during the fly-by. Hilarious event to say the least. Then about a minute or two later I rolled up on a bear cub in the opposing lane ditch. I think he made visual before hearing the bike (full Termignoni system) and took off in the bushes. Traffic was non existent and it was about dusk so the environment was on the quiet side. I don't believe they heard me before they saw me but we'll never know.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:18 PM
SuperBike

I think deer think if they don't move you can't see them. They see some colors well enough but see at night very well.

The bear can see, hear and smell you from quite a ways, and the deer down the road...
Attached Thumbnails Loud pipes....save lives?-deer-pooping-1.jpg   Loud pipes....save lives?-deer-licking-ass-1.jpg  
Old 02-07-2018, 07:25 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by skokievtr
I think deer think if they don't move you can't see them. They see some colors well enough but see at night very well.

The bear can see, hear and smell you from quite a ways, and the deer down the road...
I just want to know why, out of the millions of pictures on the Internet of deer, you picked one that the dear is taking a crap and the other its licking its butt.

On another point.
I heard all about roo's being this scourge of the earth, we were sure to hit some in our transit from Melbourne to Broken Hill NSW, and then more strikes during the race or transit stages ..
Two years running we did that race, and not one roo stike
Old 02-08-2018, 02:18 AM
SuperBike

Mr Marquez,

What race was that and when ?

Was that the finke ?

https://finkedesertrace.com.au/

I've never done that race however, I have mates that have , what a blast !

I was on the "Blue Team " for many years with 450s until my body said enough .

Like cans on our VTRs a good pipe was one of the first things you did when you got a bike . Improved the performance and sounded Fat.

I still reckon any VTR without pipes is a crime and so are the photos!
Old 02-08-2018, 04:24 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Old 02-08-2018, 06:45 AM
SuperBike

I laughed and I laughed !

I'm still laughing .
Old 02-08-2018, 02:01 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
I just want to know why, out of the millions of pictures on the Internet of deer, you picked one that the dear is taking a crap and the other its licking its butt.
Read post #20...
Old 02-08-2018, 02:08 PM
SuperBike

except it's a trombone...
Old 02-09-2018, 01:19 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Mr Marquez,

What race was that and when ?
2002 and 2003 Australian Out Back Challenge
Team Alaska, a Jeep TJ based truck

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?client....0.piDjTvoYCXc
Old 02-10-2018, 04:32 AM
SuperBike

Mr Marquez,

I watched a video of the 2002 event where you climbed up a bank and kicked dust all over your boss !

The Roos are worse when there is no water around !
Old 02-10-2018, 08:00 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Mr Marquez,

I watched a video of the 2002 event where you climbed up a bank and kicked dust all over your boss !

The Roos are worse when there is no water around !
Well we were on the clock, it was our first year there and making up strategy as we went..
We DROVE the wall in under 4 min the following year.. And my driver stayed clean....