General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Long distance rides

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 05:42 PM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

whatthefnck is on a distinguished road
Long distance rides

I'd like to start using my bike for rides from Tx to La for fun and gas saving since my Chevy drinks a hefty 12mi/gal.
So using same chain which sprocket configurations can I use for greater fuel efficiency? 17/41 maybe?

I currently use 16/41.

Also I'd like to have a second set of wheels n tires. Which wheels are compatible with my stock hawk? Any 6" rims compatible?

Last edited by whatthefnck; 04-02-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:54 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by whatthefnck
I'd like to start using my bike for rides from Tx to La for fun and gas saving since my Chevy drinks a hefty 12mi/gal.
So using same chain which sprocket configurations can I use for greater fuel efficiency? 17/41 maybe?

I currently use 16/41.

Also I'd like to have a second set of wheels n tires. Which wheels are compatible with my stock hawk? Any 6" rims compatible?
Not sure you can use 17/41, you may not have enough room for a bigger front sprocket, if you want to use less gas you need to keep the bike at lower RPM in general compared with the same speed, you may as well just stay with your existing ratio.
I believe wheels that are pretty much bolt on, would be the CBR600 F3 F4 5.5" and CBR900's which come as 6", but you have to check if the rotors will feet. I may not have it 100% correct, it's just from what I remember at the moment
Old 04-02-2013, 09:04 PM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

What about a smaller rear sprocket.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:18 PM
SuperBike

You can go with that, you may get higher top speed with that, it will take a bit longer to get there though
Just remember that you may need to cut a link from the chain if yours is already stretched to make it work.

IMO, I don't know if it is even worth the effort money wise. What you trying to save on gas you will end up spending on sprocket, labor and so on..
Old 04-02-2013, 09:31 PM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

I usually run the freeways at high speeds so my 6th gear revs are at 6k. I'm tryin to get it down to <5k. And when I do the trips, I'll prob have a second set of wheels n tires with perm sprocket. And another set for city with bigger sprocket and stickier tires. So I'm lookin for a setup with those ideas in mind and try to use same chain. Not sure how feasible that is. But that's why I'm askin all you guys. Unless its easy to change out the chain too.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:41 PM
SuperBike

I usually run the freeways at high speeds so my 6th gear revs are at 6k. I'm tryin to get it down to <5k. And when I do the trips, I'll prob have a second set of wheels n tires with perm sprocket. And another set for city with bigger sprocket and stickier tires. So I'm lookin for a setup with those ideas in mind and try to use same chain. Not sure how feasible that is. But that's why I'm askin all you guys. Unless its easy to change out the chain too.
Well, instead of having another set of wheels just for that reason, you can keep just an extra wheel hub with a different sprocket on it, but then you will ran into problems adjusting the chain if it will be even possible...
Old 04-02-2013, 09:50 PM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

Exactly. That's why I'm asking haa

And wheel hub? What exactly is that and why necessary?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:06 PM
SuperBike

Exactly. That's why I'm asking haa

And wheel hub? What exactly is that and why necessary?
That is what you attaching the rear sprocket to, not to the actual wheel.
Check item number 6 combined is referred as the hub

Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>1998>VTR1000F>REAR WHEEL

You can look up your entire bike on this Ronayers site and also order directly if you wish, most people use this as reference and then get parts on Ebay or similar, but it's a good place to get OEM parts, I used it many times over the years:
Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>1998>VTR1000F
Old 04-02-2013, 10:20 PM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

Great. Thx for all that
Old 04-02-2013, 10:27 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
You will definitely wear the chain down faster with the swap back and forth. The chain & sprockets wear together so they wont mesh as well with the city sprockets. It seems like a ton of work for very little (if any) payoff.

Why not just graduate to sport touring 2-compound tires? Harder in the middle, grippy on edge. I run only sport touring on the street since I save knee dragging for the races.

I dont know that you'll save much going taller on gearing either. The bike is very tall geared stock. In fact you may lose top speed (but who uses that) since alot of bikes actually go faster in fifth. 6th is more like overdrive.

Put a vista cruise on though. And a nice big tank bag filled with clothes to lay on.
Attached Thumbnails Long distance rides-bufftrip2011-014.jpg  
Old 04-02-2013, 10:37 PM
MotoGP

There you go, you're in 5th, just shift up once and your good.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:49 AM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
That's the first time I have ever heard of anyone wanting to use a VTR to save gas LOL I guess you guys have some big litre vehicles over there.

I would leave the bike as standard and don't go throwing a K&N in there as I seen you asking about in another thread. If you want to save fuel you just have to change your riding style. Fun usually equals more (gas) money.

(:-})
Old 04-03-2013, 07:39 AM
MotoGP

Carl are you kidding? Whathe lives in Texas. Them boys down there have 2 v8's in their pick-em-up trucks. Creates a wirlpool in the tank. But they dont care cuz they all have their own erl wells.

He probly goes thru 5 vtr tanks just to get out of his own county. Oh yeah, and the stars at night are big and bright __ __ __ __ ___ _____"
Old 04-03-2013, 08:41 AM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
LOL It wasn't me that said I wanted to save gas. I think he must be kidding, as you say they have their own production lines of gas there. Who shot JR anyway

Is that La as in Los Angeles or somewhere else that I dont know off. The lowercase a has got me wondering.

(:-})
Old 04-03-2013, 08:54 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Second set of wheels/spockets/chain would be WAY more expensive than just paying the extra $10 a trip you'll be possibly saving on gas. Like Joe said, you don't want to mix n match, you want to buy as a set. Lots of forces on the chain so you want to keep friction and wear as controlled as possible.

Keep the bike maintained well and get some sport touring tires...

Personally, running 16/41 would be just fine for long trips... I've done highway stints with 16/43 and it never felt out of place (and still managing 40mpg).
Old 04-03-2013, 09:45 AM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

Ya lol well I stated how much my truck drinks. And yes, I haul some butt when cruising back to my home city/state in Laf,La. But I know I'm in sixth gear, and get a way better fuel mileage than my Z71. I'm not concerned about the costs so much as just having to stop less for fuel bc of these small tanks. I'm happy with roughly 35mpg. But I like to go fast with lower rpms. I don't wanna incriminate myself on here, so lets just say I'm typically passin folks on the interstate bc they going 'slow'. And extra wheel sets costs aren't really a factor so much. I'm using BT023's for nearly 6k miles now. Only the rear needs to be replaced soon. I want a primary set of sticky tires. BUT I hear the Battlqx S20s are really good for both, better than the bt023.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:50 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Well with that, there are a lot of wear issues with just changing rear sprocket, not to mention possible chain length problems. Just keep that in mind

You could do the VFR tank swap... it's fairly involved but looks good on the bike and will get you a bigger range without trying sprocket hocus pocus... (and will net you an extra 60 miles rather than 10 miles max with better mpg's)
Old 04-03-2013, 09:53 AM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

Ok thx
Old 04-03-2013, 10:03 AM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

Check out the tire sizes and 'acceptable rim widths' for them in the details. Surprising the 55 fits such a narrow rim. I thought fitting it onto a 5.5 was pushing it.

https://www.denniskirk.com/bridgesto...prd/543869.sku

https://www.denniskirk.com/rear-batt...re.p544159.prd

But I'll prob go with these S20's next

https://www.denniskirk.com/bridgesto...prd/544249.sku
Old 04-03-2013, 10:11 AM
MotoGP

So I guess your best option is to experiment with sprockets, but you may hate the taller gearing around town. Maybe try 2 less back teeth.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:26 AM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
So I guess your best option is to experiment with sprockets, but you may hate the taller gearing around town. Maybe try 2 less back teeth.
Can I get a 39t sprocket? Lowest I'm really seeing is 41
Old 04-03-2013, 04:09 PM
Back Marker

Caffeine is on a distinguished road
you could always calculate it too.
Motorcycle gear/rpm/speed calculator
Name:  GearCalculator_zps5ab2ee24.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  122.6 KB
Old 04-03-2013, 04:40 PM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

that's pretty neat. so I did a calculation just for grins, with a 190/55 at 15/39t and its at .278% higher. That's as close to stock ratio as possible, but would that be harder on the engine?
Old 04-03-2013, 04:59 PM
MotoGP

Thats the other issue is that you dont want to lug the motor. Thats way more stressful than spinning. No oil films, etc.