General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

kinda weird, mph comparison

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 08:59 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
kinda weird, mph comparison

i was looking up specs for my buddys 675 daytona and his stock mph in the quarter should be in the low 130's. the vtr is in the low 120's right? yet every time we go i pull him, even if i give him a jump ill catch him through third gear and pull away from him. we both weigh about the same and were both trying. rightfully shouldnt he top end me by that point? and its not aslow pull, its one of those we start in first gear i give him a few lengths, second gear he stops pulling and third i catch and pass. and even one pull we had where i started in second at about 45 mph didnt bother hitting first and he was in the right gear and he hung me till about 60 mph and then i just pulled him. i realize that the torque of these things hold off alot of bikes but i dunno, i even held off a modded 600 gixxer with pipe filter and jet kit till 120 mph where we shut down and he wasnt able to pass me. does this sound right?
Old 09-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
rider,rider,rider. if the guy on the gsxr stayes in the powerband he should pull on you quit easily. the gsxr make plenty torqe as long as you are wringing their little necks. but as soon as skill (experiance) comes into play the hawk can be devastating to those same gsxr's. you should swap bikes with the gsxr and do the same pull bet it ends the same.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:52 AM
SuperBike

good call, ill see if hes up for that next time he comes riding with us, or even the triumph for that matter. from what im reading those things spin well past their usable power and people run them out that high for no reason. all the pulls were from i believe 40 kph, some with the 675 ive done from that speed and some even reaching highway speeds and the result has always been the same
Old 09-26-2009, 12:39 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Best quarter figures I've seen for a bone stock VTR were from Motorcycle.com

10.83@127.32

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...60.html?page=2

If you've got a relatively strong and/or slightly modded VTR, especially if you've changed final gearing, no surprise to me that you can pull on a Daytona.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road

cameron said it... Keep the GSX (stock or not) and the Daytona in the powerband and they should eek out a small lead on you... Not much... Possibly like you are leading now...

The VTR is a lazy-mans weapon of choice... A half decent rider on a VTR will embarras the squid on a brand spanking new GSXR 1000 9 times out of 10... You can shift it in approximation of right place and still beat a good many 600's with a half decent rider on, and some 1000's with a bad rider on... A good rider on the other bike and you get left behind...

Get the shifting dead on with the VTR you can hang on to most 600's and make a few 1000's work for it... But they will still walk away in top end if the rider on the other bike is just as good as you... A newer 1000 just plain walks all over you with a decent rider on it... You can make them work, but very rarely beat them...
Old 09-26-2009, 01:25 PM
SuperBike

perfect good info guys. i dont just eek the daytona thats the thing, last run we did he had maybe 3 lengths on me from the jump i let him have and third gear i closed that gap and third wasnt done yet. lol. my vtr is stock minues stage 1 bafflectomy. everything else is stock, oh and a high flow paper air filter but i dont think that added anything infact it felt a little more slugish from when i removed the k&n. where do you guys suggest i shift this thing? i usually bring it to just before redline but i know its falling on its face by then. where do you guys find you get the best results?
Old 09-26-2009, 01:46 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
If you've got the OEM sprockets, think about spending $30 for a 43 tooth rear. At least on my bike it makes a difference you can feel and puts the over geared VTR more in line with other 1000cc sport twins.

Most of the time i shift between 4k and 5k rpm, but when maxing out I shift as the tach needle kisses 9k. past 9k my particular VTR flattens out.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:29 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
If you've got the OEM sprockets, think about spending $30 for a 43 tooth rear. At least on my bike it makes a difference you can feel and puts the over geared VTR more in line with other 1000cc sport twins.

Most of the time i shift between 4k and 5k rpm, but when maxing out I shift as the tach needle kisses 9k. past 9k my particular VTR flattens out.
I happen to agree, a 43 tooth rear is a decent compromise to me...

But unless modified the VTR should have flattened out by 8k somewhere... Altough it will definetly be noticable by 9k...
Old 09-26-2009, 02:44 PM
SuperBike

perfect thanks for the info. im actually gonna go the route or -1 +1 im just trying to find a place thatll sell them as a combo and save me some cash.