General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Sargent or Corbin or ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:50 AM
Squid

blubyu is on a distinguished road
Sargent or Corbin or ???

I'm in the market for an aftermarket seat for my Hawk but can only find two, Sargent and Corbin. Any others? Anyone have experience with aftermarket seats I'd appreciate your feedback. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:52 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Your other option is something custom.

Of the two Sargent is considered more comfortable on our bikes, and the Corbin is available with a back rest for the passenger.

I still have the stock seat so I can't comment personally.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Back Marker

epleeds is on a distinguished road
I have had both. sargent all the way. looks better, feels better and you dont slide around on it.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:17 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Corbin looks cool, but they're heavy and the several I've tried all fit like ****. Make the solo cowl sit way up high and I had to trim the rubber bumpers to make it better. Sargent is light like the stock seat and fits just as well. I kept my sargent. Over time I think the material on the Sargent will hold up longer too.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:42 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

do a search spencer's or just seat

noob, lol
Old 09-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
I like my Corbin just fine. Still got the stock seat, collecting dust though. Don't have any experience with a Sargent, but I suspect it would be better than the stock seat.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:37 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by motojoe
I like my Corbin just fine.
+1
Lot's of corbin bashing going on, but I love mine.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:15 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I had a Corbin on my Hawk GT and I have a Sargent on my VTR. The Corbin had a fibreglass base, the fit was acceptable but not great and it had a removable back rest. It was a great improvement over the stock seat.
The Sargent has a moulded plastic base which I would think is lighter than the Corbin. It has 4 bungee cord hooks on the passenger portion of the seat that can be deployed when needed. There's a tube for the tool roll under the seat. It goes on and comes off more easily than the stock seat. Mine still looks like new after about 6 years of use. I rode for about 9 hours straight to get home after the MotoGP at Indianapolis. Some body parts did not fare well but my bum was not one of them. The seat is worth every cent of the exhorbitant amount I paid for it. A search will reveal a range of opinions.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Moderatio est Figmentum
Superstock

Hawk9807 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by motojoe
I like my Corbin just fine.
+1 for Corbin. Definitely better than stock.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:28 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
I've had both....

Corbin is heavy.... did make the seat cowl sit funny, but was a bit more roomy... if you have a fat a$$ it's got lots of room... it's a good seat.

Sargent is light... seems to fit a bit better overall, and seems a little flatter across the seat pad, which works for me... a good seat as well

You can't go wrong with either compared to stock... I'd say whichever you get the best deal on would be the best option... if I was buying new... I'd probably go Sargent... as it fits me better.

J.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:30 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I've had my Sargent for over 1 1/2 years and 15,000 miles. No comparison to stock. The cowl cover fits perfectly, and the seat is much easier to remove. My bike is an '05, and I got the Medium Grey piping which matches the Titanium paint perfectly.

I used to get sore butt, but not anymore.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:46 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by drew_c14
+1
Lot's of corbin bashing going on, but I love mine.
I'm not really bashing it. I think it looks really cool. I love the design, more so than the sargent, which is a little more plain. But it IS alot heavier than either the stock or the sargent. And at least for me, there's no reason for something that expensive not to fit properly. I used to want to cover the sargent seat with a corbin cover
Old 09-17-2009, 07:24 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a Corbin Smuggler on my bike for awhile. While the concept of the trunk was very cool, the seat itself was terrible. It was too wide, which made it look funny on the bike and hindered side to side position changes. It was very heavy & rock hard... no thanks... The stock seat was waaaay better. I eventually bought a Sargent and have nothing but praise. Very comfy, well built, light, etc..

Sargent all the way!
Old 09-18-2009, 04:24 AM
Squid

BiG_hUsS is on a distinguished road
Doesn't the Sargent offer a storage comartment? If so, could I get a picture of this so I can see how large it is? So far, storage is my only complain on my Super Hawk. Everytime I ride with my buddies that have Busa's, I get a little jealous.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:05 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BiG_hUsS
Doesn't the Sargent offer a storage comartment? If so, could I get a picture of this so I can see how large it is? So far, storage is my only complain on my Super Hawk. Everytime I ride with my buddies that have Busa's, I get a little jealous.
Buy a tank bag or a tail bag.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:32 AM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by inderocker
I had a Corbin Smuggler on my bike for awhile. While the concept of the trunk was very cool, the seat itself was terrible. It was too wide, which made it look funny on the bike and hindered side to side position changes. It was very heavy & rock hard... no thanks... The stock seat was waaaay better. I eventually bought a Sargent and have nothing but praise. Very comfy, well built, light, etc..

Sargent all the way!
Yeah, but I can take my lunch to work in it and fit a 750 of rum in it after work. The alcoholic in me loves the smuggler. That and I hate most tank bags.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:30 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I too like my Corbin and it fits pretty well...
Old 09-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
love my Sargent.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:00 AM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
I own a Corbin, have no experience with a Sargent but I've seen a few on other super hawks. I looks to me like the Corbin allows you to scoot further back from the tank. For taller riders this may be beneficial. I'm 6'3'' and spend most of my time as far back as possible.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:20 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BiG_hUsS
The SH has a fairly large storage ability compared to most sport bikes. I have my tool kit, flash light, tire patch kit, papers, grease rag, and can still fit two small water bottles under the stock seat. (to the sides against the plastic)
Old 09-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
If you wan't to improve on the storage, the Sargent seat won't do much to improve that, it's an upgrade in comfort nothing else... It's a cylinder large enough for the toolkit...

Get an undertail (I have a mototeck) and then rip out the stupid plastic dividers... I just cut away all the fender up to the metal bar behind the battery box... The undertail only sits about an inch lower than the bottom of the compartments, but you'd be surprised what can fit in there once the dividers are gone...

I can fold up a sweatshirt and a set of raincovers in there and still have room left... Downside is that you need a couple of bungee's in there permanently to keep the toolkit and stuff from sliding around...
Old 09-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Squid

justscoutin is on a distinguished road
do the aftermarket seats fix the sliding forward into the tank deal? I have short arms and it seems like the factory seat is angled to slide forward, so I have to keep working away from the freakin tank.
I've got to get this thing more comfortable or sell it.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:51 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
The Corbin does wonders for keeping you away from of the tank. It is much flatter stock (both front to back and side to side) which also creates more surface area for less pressure on your ***. I'm sure a Sargent is very similar.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:16 AM
Back Marker

storm_rider is on a distinguished road
I chose a Corbin seat. More comfort than the stock seat for sure. And leather adds a nice touch to this machine.

Name:  corbin.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  38.9 KB
Old 09-19-2009, 09:17 AM
COBB Member
Superstock

stebbdt is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by justscoutin
do the aftermarket seats fix the sliding forward into the tank deal? I have short arms and it seems like the factory seat is angled to slide forward, so I have to keep working away from the freakin tank.
I've got a corbin, you'll still slide forward, its the nature of the beast, Tremendous engine braking coupled with brakeing nose dive = forward slide. Just get back on the throttle = rearward slide hehe, Seat is way better than stock, haven't had the pleasure of test riding a Hawk with a Seargent so can't comment
Old 09-20-2009, 09:33 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by justscoutin
If you raise the forks a little or cut off the tab on your clip-ons, you can move the clip-ons rearward enough to make them comfortable. This will allow the clip-ons/your thumbs touch the tank at full turn, but really not a problem.

Or you can buy different bar configurations like Heli-bars and others that solve the short arm problem.

Also, don't put anything on your seat that makes it shiny and/or slippery.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:06 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nath981
Also, don't put anything on your seat that makes it shiny and/or slippery.
I used to Armor All the aftermarket seat on my modded CX500 25+ years ago just to make it more slippery, so I could slide side to side, but the acceleration and brakes on that bike weren't even close to today's bikes. Plus the material on the Sargent allows unrestricted side to side movement, but decent grip under acceleration and braking, in my opinion.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:07 AM
Squid

justscoutin is on a distinguished road
already have VFR bars on it. still puts me at a bad angle.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:56 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
The Sarget is also more flat than the stock seat. So you are not riding the tank like you would with the stocker. But it allows you to get right on the tank, if you want to, where the corbin has a hump that keeps you back from it. Also if you or the PO has put a spacer on top of the shock ( to get sharper steering ) the bike is going to be more steeply angled forward.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:37 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I've had both on the SH. both are comfortable.

you either like corbins and the hard material or not - once used to it they are the most comfortable to me for long rides. It is a slightly wider pan, really the only time you notice this is when at a stop and putting your feet down - you will feel it against the inside of your legs. but that is the only time since your feet on on pegs otherwise. I think it is flatter and doesn't slope as forward as stock or sargent. The sargent is lighter for sure as noted above. But I could lose 10 pounds easily too so probably not a huge impact.

I have a used corbin with smuggler in excellent condition I'll sell so if you want to go that route just PM me - its a custom color though so would need paint to match your bike. I replaced it with a nava tailpiece.

Quick Reply: Sargent or Corbin or ???