General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Just out of curiousity?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 12:15 PM
SuperSport

Rollin20z is on a distinguished road
Just out of curiousity?

Just wondering what kind of top speed the Hawks put out? I know you always hear overinflated #'s , but I was curious if anyone has tried to see what you could get out if it. Stock gearing , Erion cans and jetted but not sure what they are. Also how far off is the speedo at say 152? All this is out of pure curiousity of course!
Old 09-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Usually the stock speedo is of by atleast 10%...
Old 09-22-2008, 12:22 PM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

lynchie is on a distinguished road
i think my speedo is off 8 to 10MPH ..45mph means 35ish.. I drove by one of those free standing speedos the other day and realized speedo was off like everyone here says it is..
The guy i bought the bike off of says he speed trapped it at 172 ... I havent had the ***** to go over 150 which would mean 140 myself...I start to think how far i would fly and what would hapen if i hit a cactus... thats when i eased off the throttle..
Old 09-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
my speedo is off less than 10%...about 3-5 mph all the way across the range.

not much for the top speed runs myself, plus the roads around here don't really allow it (at least not the highly patrolled ones)

GPS in tank bag indicated 109 while speedo was around 113-114 when i peaked down...but had to start slowing down for turns again on my favorite little stretch of road.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:31 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
I've only hit about 135 (speedo) in the few months I've had it. But that's fast enough considering I've only been riding since last December. I did 148mph in my car. That takes a helluva lot more room, and is way more dangerous, IMO.

Let the bragging contest commence...
Old 09-22-2008, 01:48 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lynchie
.. I drove by one of those free standing speedos the other day and realized speedo was off like everyone here says it is..
I've found a big variance in those roadside radars. I've past several going the same speed and had them be from 5 below to 5 above what my speedo said.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:15 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
I stopped looking at the speedo when it indicated 150mph, my speedo seems to be off though a bit. When I am going an indicated 80mph its about 70mph so I don't know how much different it is when going faster. but they all are off a bit thats why people buy the heelers
Old 09-22-2008, 02:51 PM
SuperSport

Rollin20z is on a distinguished road
Duhh!! I didn't think of strapping the GPS on it to check.. I got a Garmin Vista handheld and I guess that will work just as good to get an idea how far off the speedo is. Even though I am in E TN Smoky Mtns we do have some nice straight straight stretches to let you wind it out a little I'm not into the stunting and all but I do like to make sure the speed rating on the tires are accurate once and a while. I don't know if the cops around here are relaxed or what yet but I did run by a county boy yesterday sitting behind some bushes and when I looked down it said 130 , of course I was like Oh ****! so either he was alseep or said to hell with it because he never came out. So I guess that is my free pass for this week.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:55 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Rollin20z
Duhh!! I didn't think of strapping the GPS on it to check.. I got a Garmin Vista handheld and I guess that will work just as good to get an idea how far off the speedo is. Even though I am in E TN Smoky Mtns we do have some nice straight straight stretches to let you wind it out a little I'm not into the stunting and all but I do like to make sure the speed rating on the tires are accurate once and a while. I don't know if the cops around here are relaxed or what yet but I did run by a county boy yesterday sitting behind some bushes and when I looked down it said 130 , of course I was like Oh ****! so either he was alseep or said to hell with it because he never came out. So I guess that is my free pass for this week.
motorcycle cop? maybe it was a dummy car to scare people into slowing down.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:59 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Various published road tests of the VTR reported actual top speeds from 151-155 mph.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:57 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
I was behind my buddy on an R1 and my speedo said 145ish, his speedo said 140. the last time I did a speed run I ended up with a cop on my ***. I did 140mph in a 55, and got away with a warning. lol (yes there's more to it, but it just sounds good don't it?)
Old 09-22-2008, 04:04 PM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
A friend on his GSX-R600, well, he kept goosing it as I tried to pull along side, which ended up in us running flat out. He says he saw 155 on his speedo. In the glance that I took, my needle was down around 4 o'clock. You tell me how fast that is, all I'll say is it was too fast.

As for my speedo, well, the Odometer is gnats *** on. So most of the time, I assume that the speedo is on too.

BTW, for those that don't know, changing sprockets will definitely affect your speedo reading.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Erik S.
A friend on his GSX-R600, well, he kept goosing it as I tried to pull along side, which ended up in us running flat out. He says he saw 155 on his speedo. In the glance that I took, my needle was down around 4 o'clock. You tell me how fast that is, all I'll say is it was too fast.

As for my speedo, well, the Odometer is gnats *** on. So most of the time, I assume that the speedo is on too.

BTW, for those that don't know, changing sprockets will definitely affect your speedo reading.
IF, your Odo is correct then your speedo IS off... they have a difference built in... which means they can never be both right... not even with a speedohealer as they operate of the same signal...
Old 09-23-2008, 10:39 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
Ordinary out-of the box new VTR will be in the 150-155 mph range, tapped right out after a run-up. Mine has been speed trapped at 265 kph (164.6 mph) at the end of the longest straight on a racetrack in the Southern Hemisphere, but it's been carefully rebuilt and cleaned up - nothing but stock parts treated carefully. I have not heard of a faster stock VTR.

172 mph would need a lot more power than standard.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:52 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PJay
Ordinary out-of the box new VTR will be in the 150-155 mph range, tapped right out after a run-up. Mine has been speed trapped at 265 kph (164.6 mph) at the end of the longest straight on a racetrack in the Southern Hemisphere, but it's been carefully rebuilt and cleaned up - nothing but stock parts treated carefully. I have not heard of a faster stock VTR.

172 mph would need a lot more power than standard.
164-165 mph is extraordinary for a stock VTR. Have you had it on a dyno?
Old 09-24-2008, 05:49 AM
Back Marker

REDVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
found out last tuesday it will do at least 125 on radar (in a 35!)
Old 09-24-2008, 07:43 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by REDVTR1000
found out last tuesday it will do at least 125 on radar (in a 35!)
dumbass

how much that one set you back?
Old 09-24-2008, 08:37 AM
Squid

floppyhat is on a distinguished road
I checked with my GPS. An indicated 70 was actually 67mph and an indicated 110 was actually 102mph.

Just out of curiosity, since there's been some high speeds mentioned, does the Hawk have a rev limiter? I've been WAY into the red on the tach a couple of times and it never so much as sputtered......................
Old 09-24-2008, 08:42 AM
SuperBike

rev limit at 10500 rpm I think, all I know is I've bounced off it in second once when a caught a little air.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:22 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by sassage
dumbass

how much that one set you back?
ended up getting out of it but the ticket the cop wrote was for $100. he was a cool guy and rode a CBR1100XX himself. but i tell you what he flogged that harley he was on good. he was up to us in no time. the guy could ride, much respect.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:34 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Gregw
I've found a big variance in those roadside radars. I've past several going the same speed and had them be from 5 below to 5 above what my speedo said.

Those things dont' read bikes well. I've seen some that were way below my speedo reading, or didn't read at all. I usually speed up when I see them.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Superstock

ended up getting out of it but the ticket the cop wrote was for $100. he was a cool guy and rode a CBR1100XX himself. but i tell you what he flogged that harley he was on good. he was up to us in no time. the guy could ride, much respect.
I never find cops in that forgiving of a mood...even the one bike cop I encountered wasn't too friendly
Old 09-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
I think my rev limiter hits at about 10,200. Hit it many times when in a 2nd gear wheelie.

With fresh tires, my speedo is within a few mph of what the speed check signs read at around 50. Hard to read the speedo exactly when the sign starts flashing.

On a flat highway my bike hits around 155 (speedo), K&N filter, jet kit and Micron Pipes. Stock gearing. It read 170 once on a long downhill. I think that might have been a little off.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Back Marker

Tonyizcool1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by swordfish
I was behind my buddy on an R1 and my speedo said 145ish, his speedo said 140. the last time I did a speed run I ended up with a cop on my ***. I did 140mph in a 55, and got away with a warning. lol (yes there's more to it, but it just sounds good don't it?)
How the heck did you get out of this one?
Old 09-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
164-165 mph is extraordinary for a stock VTR. Have you had it on a dyno?
Nah. Our shop builds race bikes for a living, and the dyno is too taken up with them. My '82 CB1100 racer in one iteration peaked at 123 hp at the rear wheel on the Dynojet, and the VTR felt much like that on the track the same day, but with less grunt out of corners and less acceleration, so I'd guess early one hundred teens.

My VTR, as I mentioned in some other thread, was new in 2006, was torn down and carefully rebuilt and tidied mechanically whilst new, and has been babied since. Babying it includes not running it on the dyno. It goes on the occasional back country road ride, and I use it when instructing at track days.

One other comment - I mentioned that the Pukekohe track has a loooong back straight: the straight is also slightly downhill for its second half, and the prevailing wind is directly behind you. Deduct 5+ mph for road conditions.

(PS the 1100 - actually 1123 - now goes from 121 hp at 8,500 to 136 at 10,000. It's a lot wider and bulkier than the VTR, of course. I might mention that we use the dyno for set-up, to compare like against like for the same bike, and don't particularly care what the figures in themselves say. I have raced Historics internationally against some teams who are in the magazines with mega horsepower claims, and all I can say is that their figures must be measured in My Little Ponies.)
Old 09-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Squid

NWbrew is on a distinguished road
I never find cops in that forgiving of a mood...even the one bike cop I encountered wasn't too friendly
I had a bike cop wave at me last month. Really confused me, I couldn't tell if it was a "watch yourself" wave or just a biker wave.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:13 AM
MSF RiderCoach
Back Marker

radbikers is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PJay
I have raced Historics internationally against some teams who are in the magazines with mega horsepower claims, and all I can say is that their figures must be measured in My Little Ponies.)
Ok, now that's funny...
Old 09-25-2008, 06:41 AM
Back Marker

to top it all off we got the tickets dropped completely
Old 09-25-2008, 08:45 AM
Superstock

to top it all off we got the tickets dropped completely
apparently i just look like easy money
Old 09-25-2008, 10:17 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Tonyizcool1
How the heck did you get out of this one?
when I took off, I didn't see it, but a taco rig(tricked out civic) took off after me. it was 4 lane highway at 11pm. of course I lost the civic when I got up to 140. but one of the groups of cars I went by had a cop hidden in it. he saw me go by, then the civic. but the civic saw him and broke off. by the time the cop had started chasing me, I was slowing down already. after he gave me a warning, and I got over my surprise at not getting arrested, I asked him how fast was I going? he said he paced me at 80. lol ok. I had all I could do to keep a straight face. I found out about all the activity behind me from my friend on his sv bringing up the rear.