General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

I'm pretty tore up

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 11:21 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
here is the damage pics I said where coming. I was amazed the damage was exactly what I expected.

Name:  projectssept006.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  115.3 KB

Name:  projectssept005.jpg
Size:  115.9 KB

Name:  projectssept003.jpg
Size:  130.5 KB

Name:  projectssept002.jpg
Size:  121.2 KB

Name:  projectssept001.jpg
Size:  84.9 KB
Old 10-25-2010, 12:07 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
looks pretty beat up...

i think i tossed my left side radiator but i have all the plastic, not perfect but it's all mountable. i don't remember about the clipons ? 1 was a little bent iirc but you may have already 'em ? anyway... if your going to put her back together you can have any parts you need.

tim
Old 10-25-2010, 02:24 PM
SuperBike

If the parts you have are better then the parts I have I will gladly take them off of your hands. Fairings included on that. I am going to rebuild her. Probably will not be as "stock" once I am done. I have a few sets of clip-ons so I should be able to get it to work. So I only really need a radiator for the passenger side to get the repair ball rolling.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:15 PM
SuperBike

i did keep the right side one with the cap... maybe you can mount that on the left side ? i don't remember how the fan mounts but that could possibly all unbolt or get cut off ?

i have the side fairings, front with the whole headlight assembly, the tail piece has been epoxied but works... bummer that i sold the tank.

tim
Old 10-25-2010, 04:52 PM
Squid

trident00 is on a distinguished road
Really sorry to see your ride all tore up. Looks like the frame survived alright. Might just be the right blank slate so to speak to get creative with.

Take care, Walt
Old 10-25-2010, 05:15 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by trinc
i did keep the right side one with the cap... maybe you can mount that on the left side ? i don't remember how the fan mounts but that could possibly all unbolt or get cut off ?

i have the side fairings, front with the whole headlight assembly, the tail piece has been epoxied but works... bummer that i sold the tank.

tim
I will take all of it off of your hands if you will let me. I may be able to custom fit the other radiator. I may get creative too I haven't decided. Extra parts either way are going to be needed. The tank being bashed in only makes my decision to creatively expand its capacity all that much easier. Tim I really appreciate all the parts and your readiness to help me get this beast trucking along again. I may actually have more screws in me now then you . (I gotta win at something)
Old 10-25-2010, 09:42 PM
SuperBike

no problem Andrew, you more than welcome to take whatever you need.

tim
Old 10-25-2010, 09:47 PM
SuperBike

thanks Tim it may be a little while, but I am sure you expected that.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:02 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
how is your upper stay.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:41 AM
SuperBike

its broken, just like the frame I fixed for Trinc. So ironically now I have to do the same job again on my bike. Truthfully I am actually looking forward to getting to fix the bike back up. It is a kind of therapy for me. I have a few custom things I may do to spice up the bike a little. I am sure I will have the time.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:08 PM
SuperBike

the forks are bent too. I still have my old set so that should be an inexpensive fix.

After much thought and deliberation I have finally come up with a theory of what happened. I can't prove it but it makes the most sense in explaining everything.

I had recently replaced my original forks with the upgraded forks from trinc. My theory is I didn't get the stick out height of each fork exactly the same, which could have caused my forks to bind under braking force then release at the worst time when I was at a good lean in the apex causing the suspension to unload immediately at once slipping the front out from under me in a blink. Just a theory, if any one can poke holes in my theory I would love to hear it. I need to figure this out.

Some extra details about the crash. It isn't a sharp turn I crashed in in fact I had been through a tighter turn just before it at an even faster pace. There was nothing to cause me to slide anywhere. No gravel no oil ice leaves nothing. The front slid not the rear, there was no warning no head shake no slipping prior no panic on my part. I have ridden the road 100's of times and this turn I would rate easy. The rider behind me saw the whole thing and didn't see anything that would cause this to happen. Thanks everyone.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Squid

trident00 is on a distinguished road
Corn, I am gonna say this as i heard it. There are 2 types of motorcycle enthusiasts, those that have been down, and those that will go down. I know its cheep talk, but for me it was always a reminder to wear my helmet and protective gear. I would hazard a guess you have alot more miles under your belt than I have this decade, but in previous decades that wasnt the case. Another thing I heard awhile back is that "**** happens".
Love life and live it to the fullest. I know the point at which you are at at the moment. I have been there. I have reviewed in my mind what happened and tried to make sense of it. I am overly analytical when it comes to something I am pasionate about. I know for you, you are looking at how to avoid it in the future. I know you will find the answer. We all do. The one thing to remember is that riding a motorcylce has its own set of inherent dangers. We all know this and the sane ones of us respect this. We choose to live this lifestyle. We learn from our mishaps and we go on to become more skilled than ever. I apreciate knowing you and being associated with you as an enthusiast on this board.
If i can ever be of help let me know.

Cheers, Walt
Old 10-26-2010, 05:31 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Andrew,

good to hear that you're gettin well enough that you're thinking about gettin the hawk back together again.

you're bike looks worse than mine and I was doing about 85-90mph when the front tire let loose and i was down so fast i thought I hit ice. It was a right hand curve and me and the bike slid across the oncoming lane and into the grass and ended up in a ditch. That was in '02'. I believe that big stock muffler sticking out there may have served as a frame slider. haha

Anyway I was lucky no one coming the other way and didn't hit anything hard except the ground. And had ATG on.

hope you figure out what caused your lowside faster than I did because it took me 7 or 8 years.

heal fast and post what you need as soon as you assess everything> maybe you'll be goin naked for your next redo?
Old 10-26-2010, 05:43 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I had the front slide at the dragons tail (bad set up) as I transfered from a left to a right. I bottomed the suspension and slid the front tire about 1.5 ft across the road. scared the poop out of me. Not saying that is what happened, but sometimes the crap just surprises you.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:50 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I have a working left rad that's yours if you want it, so you don't have to do any editing to a right one. It's painted black, but worked nicely when it was on... I ended up with the frame you helped Trinc with, so full circle I guess...

May have some other parts too- let me know if you want me to check (I've gone naked and swapped front ends, to give you an idea of the parts I may have... clip ons, stock forks, etc)

Last edited by 7moore7; 10-26-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:59 PM
MotoGP

the link below is what finally illuminated the cause of my lowside after all those years. Search "anyone trailbraking" on this forum for a more in depth discussion.

I believe if yours were a fork issue it would have showed itself earlier via instability/wobble when leaned over on a bumpy or wavy road. I had a fork sticking from a too tight fork brace and the bike was squirrely if you were leaned over on any road that was not perfectly smooth. So think about all your riding after the fork install and remember if you were leaned over on any uneven roads and if there was any signs of wobble or other instability. If not, probably not the cause.

I know that i never loaded the front tire for turns, but instead did most of my braking before the apex and then added neutral throttle to bring the front suspension back up from dived position, and this is what finally got me on that turn. As the I rolled onto neutral throttle, the front forks were already rebounding and when i added that little bit of throttle it was enough to loose front tire grip. Had I kept the the front end loaded with the brakes to increase the front tire contact patch as I rolled on the neutral throttle, it would have likely held.

Anyway, you were there so you may know something I don't. I do know that before and after the aforementioned lowside, I had never had a get-off that i didn't understand and it haunted me until I finally was able to resolve the mystery. This happened after i started investigating and using trailbraking and then read the below link. It all came together for me.

the below link seems to be inaccessible, but I'll try to find it if I can.

http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/med...side_line2.htm

Last edited by nath981; 10-26-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:26 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by cornandp
the forks are bent too. I still have my old set so that should be an inexpensive fix.

After much thought and deliberation I have finally come up with a theory of what happened. I can't prove it but it makes the most sense in explaining everything.

I had recently replaced my original forks with the upgraded forks from trinc. My theory is I didn't get the stick out height of each fork exactly the same, which could have caused my forks to bind under braking force then release at the worst time when I was at a good lean in the apex causing the suspension to unload immediately at once slipping the front out from under me in a blink. Just a theory, if any one can poke holes in my theory I would love to hear it. I need to figure this out.

Some extra details about the crash. It isn't a sharp turn I crashed in in fact I had been through a tighter turn just before it at an even faster pace. There was nothing to cause me to slide anywhere. No gravel no oil ice leaves nothing. The front slid not the rear, there was no warning no head shake no slipping prior no panic on my part. I have ridden the road 100's of times and this turn I would rate easy. The rider behind me saw the whole thing and didn't see anything that would cause this to happen. Thanks everyone.
even if the fork tubes were not in the triples exactly at the same height i don't see how that could cause them to bind. the amount of tension on the springs would be different but thats not uncommon in small amounts.

they would have to be way out if one tube hit the limit ( compression or rebound ) before the other.

did you check the sag after you installed them ?

i didn't see a good shot of the front tire... did you mount the Q2 up front ?

tim
Old 10-26-2010, 07:35 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by 7moore7
I have a working left rad that's yours if you want it, so you don't have to do any editing to a right one. It's painted black, but worked nicely when it was on... I ended up with the frame you helped Trinc with, so full circle I guess...

May have some other parts too- let me know if you want me to check (I've gone naked and swapped front ends, to give you an idea of the parts I may have... clip ons, stock forks, etc)

I definitely need the left radiator. PM me with details.

All I know about how strange this is is also that I recently put a pair of already broken in q2's on a much stickier tire then the original pilot road tire I was running before. I never slid it on the roads there or even close on the "roads". It just seems like a mechanical failure or a fault. I did an entire fork swap just prior. Yes I road the bike for about 40 miles on a ride a few nights before the pace was similar. That doesn't mean that the variables in the corner I crashed in where the same maybe the problem was not apparent before the bike sure seemed to be stable. It sure would be nice to have had it on video. Then I could say analyze away people.

Its driving me nuts, to just get slammed so hard and not know why. It doesn't help I don't remember the entire crash. Shoot guys thanks for putting your heads together to attempt sorting this out with me.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:38 PM
SuperBike

Tim, I just put them on...

I didn't check anything setting wise because I figured that you where close enough to me I could ride and make small adjustments as needed. Maybe this was foolish.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:19 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by cornandp
I definitely need the left radiator. PM me with details.

All I know about how strange this is is also that I recently put a pair of already broken in q2's on a much stickier tire then the original pilot road tire I was running before. I never slid it on the roads there or even close on the "roads". It just seems like a mechanical failure or a fault. I did an entire fork swap just prior. Yes I road the bike for about 40 miles on a ride a few nights before the pace was similar. That doesn't mean that the variables in the corner I crashed in where the same maybe the problem was not apparent before the bike sure seemed to be stable. It sure would be nice to have had it on video. Then I could say analyze away people.

Its driving me nuts, to just get slammed so hard and not know why. It doesn't help I don't remember the entire crash. Shoot guys thanks for putting your heads together to attempt sorting this out with me.
Don't worry about remembering. Relax and it'll come to you later. And when it does, you'll be able to begin to understand or at least better be able to interpret the facts. Without knowing, you'll just create more anxiety trying to second guess everything.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:32 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
i have a upper stay if you want it,it needs to be tweaked some but not much,i could send pics if you like.let me know.