General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

I had an interesting afternoon...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:04 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I had an interesting afternoon...

Today it was time for the bi-yearly safety inspection... Oh joy!

Swapping out the front end including brakes, as I have done requires a re-inspection before and after the swap, costly... very costly... So I was going to try a fast one...

Also my bike has bafflectomized stock pipes ie not too loud, but I doubt they would pass a dB meter test... And it's questionable weather a brakelight modualtor is legal or not...

Also swapping out the cluster is legal, but requires the odometer to be corrected... Something I haven't done yet...

My plan? Swap in the old cluster and disable the BRM... Then? Act stupid...

Well that one failed miserably as soon as I pulled in... A guy that looks decidedly familar steps up and shakes my hand and presents himself... And at the end he says "And you must be Tweety..."

"Huh?!" Say what???

"Well a red 97 VTR with CBR forks... There aren't that many of those around... I read about the swap on the forum..."

Then it clicks... I've met the guy a couple of times when the local bunch of VTR riders met up... That's why he looks familiar... Oh Crap!!!

And he starts sticking his head everywhere... Absolutely everywhere... Commenting about how I solved the different parts of the swap...
Obviusly not only does he know bikes... but he owns a VTR himself...

Takes all the different measurements on the light, the exhaust gases and such, then looks at the removed baffles puts two gloved fingers over the pipe and pushes the button for the dB meter... It stays in the green area with a 1dB margin...

Gives me a big grin as he put's on a helmet and rolls it off the ramp... Then goes out for a short testride... As he leaves the yard he pops a wheelie and carries it through first and second... Comes back with a big grin and says to his supervisor with a damned good pokerface, "well that engine is definetly stock with the restrictor in place, no need to measure..." My VTR is one of the first one's in Sweden... and they where sold as restricted to 45kW... The supervisor comments that he should know, "he owns a VTR..."

So he takes me over to the cash register and hands me a bill for 60$... I sign two slips... One for the pre-inspection and one for the after... Normaly those are ~200$ each... And on the after, he has noted all the changes including removal of restriction...

When I get back to work (this was on my lunch break as no other times where available) I see a message on the Swedish VTR forum... Asking what the **** I've done to that engine and If I can do it to his... It seems my "restricted" VTR had a bit more ohmpf than his un-restricted one...

Now I'm gonna go buy me-self a lottery ticket...
Old 04-28-2008, 10:12 AM
Back Marker

SD Hawk is on a distinguished road
Sweet!!!!
Always awesome when things go unexpectedly well.

Reminds me of my years in Germany, trying to get my Seca with Kerker pipes and other “enhancements” through the TUV…….restricted to 50ps for insurance purposes...... yeah right.

Sounds like Sweden is even tougher than the German TUV system.

Anyhow congrats on problem free riding, at least for another year or two!
Old 04-28-2008, 10:17 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by SD Hawk
Sweet!!!!
Always awesome when things go unexpectedly well.

Reminds me of my years in Germany, trying to get my Seca with Kerker pipes and other “enhancements” through the TUV…….restricted to 50ps for insurance purposes...... yeah right.

Sounds like Sweden is even tougher than the German TUV system.

Anyhow congrats on problem free riding, at least for another year or two!
It's about the same as Germany... We have a whole bunch of rules telling us what we can and cannot change...

Heh... Well next time around my bike is fully legal (apart from possibly the pipes and brakelight and those can be doctored) as these changes have now been officially put into the vehicle papers...
Old 04-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Back Marker

Hammer7205 is on a distinguished road
I love a happy ending....
Old 04-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Jeezus! I hope the US never gets to that point! {knock on wood}
Old 04-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Superstock

pigwings
Inspection

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Jeezus! I hope the US never gets to that point! {knock on wood}
Do bikes have to be inspected in NY?
Old 04-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Um....yes....but good luck finding inspection stickers on any of my bikes. With as many vehicles as I have it costs too much damned money and time to get them all done.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Back Marker

Hammer7205 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pigwings
Do bikes have to be inspected in NY?
Christ, everything has to be inspected in NYS.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Squid

PRTSMN is on a distinguished road
I GUESS LIVING IN CALIFORNIA IS NOT ALL BAD THEN.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:15 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PRTSMN
I GUESS LIVING IN CALIFORNIA IS NOT ALL BAD THEN.

Ha! Everything else aside, Ca. is OK for bikes. No smog tests, no "safety" tests. Lane splitting legal. There's a "loud pipes" law on the books, but case law says it's too vague to be enforced, and it isn't. Great roads too.

Tweety had a good day and I'm happy for him, but what if Mr. Government Inspector Dude didn't like bikes and/or didn't like Tweety?
Old 04-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Hey guys no inspections where I live in Florida, but driving with Ms. Daisy ain't no walk in the park!

Tweety, I'd go back to that inspector for life
RC
Old 04-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
Ha! Everything else aside, Ca. is OK for bikes. No smog tests, no "safety" tests. Lane splitting legal. There's a "loud pipes" law on the books, but case law says it's too vague to be enforced, and it isn't. Great roads too.

Tweety had a good day and I'm happy for him, but what if Mr. Government Inspector Dude didn't like bikes and/or didn't like Tweety?
Then Tweety becomes an outlaw!
Old 04-28-2008, 06:35 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FL02SupaHawk996
Then Tweety becomes an outlaw!
Yeah. Tweety, the outlaw Swede biker dude!

Tweety, I hope you got the inspector's name and number so you can schedule the next one when he's on duty. And let's hope that his bosses don't read this forum!
Old 04-28-2008, 07:26 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Sometimes the little guy WINS!

Yup, should have gone and bought that lottery ticket.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:59 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RK1

Um... then I'd have to schedule a full inspection at some 220$ and probably wait a few weeks for that... And then they would probably be nitpicking about every detail...

As I said I was trying a fast one... The reason? Well if I had gotten a dummy inspector that didn't see the changes, all I had to do next time around is prove that it had passed a previous inspection in it's current state and they would have to pass it and put the changes in the vehicle papers, unless it violated any of the codes... And it doesn't...

Well apart from the pipes and BRM and those are as I said easily doctored to pass an inspection...

This little scheme saved me 2x220$... And at the worst if they did find anything to question at a full inspection I'd have to pay for a re-inspection at 60$ wich meant that I'd still be coming out winning... Both in time and money...

BTW I'm going to meet up with him tomorrow and help him remove the baffles on his pipes...
Old 04-29-2008, 10:01 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by superbling
Sometimes the little guy WINS!

Yup, should have gone and bought that lottery ticket.
BTW I did... and I won a new ticket... and on that I "won" the minimum price meaning I had the price of an icecream and the lottery ticket "free"...

All in all... A good day..