General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

howdy howdy yall

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 01:09 AM
Umm...I'm awesome. Duh...
Squid

shake-n-bake is on a distinguished road
howdy howdy yall

got yet another new superhawk owner here. just picked up a 98 for $1500 and thought that was a pretty good deal. this is my first venture into bikes so i know just about zilch about them. im pretty mechanically inclined though, ive dabbled in hot rods with my 64 f100 that i have rat rodded out, dabbled in muscle cars with my 70 mustang, and have real big into the mudding scene with my "bronco" (quotes are there because the only thing stock left on it is the frame) so i know my way around a toolbox. figured it was time to step into the motorcycle arena.

plan for this bike is to be my daily commuter while i finish up my schooling since i cant afford $4.00 / gal for diesel fuel in my 10mpg dually i drive every day. i net around 350 miles a week just going to school and back let alone anything else so even though i've heard this bike is a gas hog, at its worst 30 mpg sounds better than the 10 that the rest of my cars get
Old 03-17-2011, 04:42 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
welcome to the forum shake. besides saving a little fuel, you may have a little fun too if the weather holds up. And you may also be able to get 35+ if you use your right hand judiciously.

You might want to check you bike over if you haven't already: CCTs, R/R, carbs, valve adjust before you find your back in your gas hog but with the addition of a parts bill for the bike.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:20 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Welcome! seems new superhawk owners are coming out of of the woodwork
Old 03-17-2011, 05:50 AM
Back Marker

thefitzvh is on a distinguished road
Someone should point Honda to these forums and convince them that the VTR1000f is due for a refresh.

Fuel injection, better suspension... yum.

http://gallery.teamrc17.net/Expo2005_VTR.html

Yeah
Old 03-17-2011, 06:28 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by thefitzvh
Someone should point Honda to these forums and convince them that the VTR1000f is due for a refresh.

Yeah
Why? Our genius' on this forum have already transcended it's weaknesses and transformed into a quite capable and reliable machine.
I saw that gallery before and was thinking of how frustrating it would be to first design, then create the actual bike, and then have no use for it.

Originally Posted by 98VTRrider
Welcome! seems new superhawk owners are coming out of of the woodwork
+1 been happening for several months now. Some nice used SHs for good prices in combination with SH's reputation as a classic great bike to own.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:34 AM
Back Marker

You can't tell me you wouldn't like to see it modernized and fuel injected.

If our SH geniuses can turn the existing bike into a capable machine, imagine what they could do with a better base?
Old 03-17-2011, 06:58 AM
Back Marker

ninjagoalie is on a distinguished road
welcome. This is a great forum with a ton of knowledge and ideas!
Old 03-17-2011, 07:00 AM
Squid

ive yet to ride the thing seeing as how ive never ridden a bike before and waiting to complete the motorcycle course before i hop on. how's this thing stack up for a first bike? i've always liked the v-twin sport bikes with the sound and people talking about the torque rather than power just in the high rpm's. either way i was going to end up with this or a 03 tlr1000 but this was a better deal and from the research i did a little more tame for a first bike
Old 03-17-2011, 08:49 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Welcome.

As a first bike, the Superhawk isn't the best choice, but nor is it the worst. To be honest a SV650 would be a better first bike for a bigger guy, and a ninja 250 for a little guy.

But any bike can be learned on and the Superhawk isn't the worst choice because even though it has more power and weight than the ones above, it is fairly forgiving, and easy to ride.

Just stay sharp, remember what control does what, and ride carefully. (even for inexperienced riders, it is other drivers that usually kill them, but plenty of squids become organ donors from their own lack of ability too)
Old 03-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Back Marker

Ouch... be careful

The oodles of torque the superhawk provides can be very dangerous for a new rider...

It's not really much more tame than a TLR.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:58 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Yep- coming off of those motorcycle classes riding kawasaki 250's you're likely to lift that front wheel of the VTR pretty quickly. It offers more than you are capable of for a first bike- if you remember that you can stay safe on and enjoy the ride!

Welcome!
Old 03-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Back Marker

All that said, my first sportbike was a VTR.... my first BIKE was a CB650 that was ancient.

The VTR is close to the perfect streetbike. I love it. You'll enjoy the hell out of it.

Sort out that suspension... makes a big difference.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:37 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by shake-n-bake
ive yet to ride the thing seeing as how ive never ridden a bike before and waiting to complete the motorcycle course before i hop on. how's this thing stack up for a first bike? i've always liked the v-twin sport bikes with the sound and people talking about the torque rather than power just in the high rpm's. either way i was going to end up with this or a 03 tlr1000 but this was a better deal and from the research i did a little more tame for a first bike
Welcome to the forum.
For a first bike, there are less intimidating ones. If you take it easy it can be a friendly ride. Just pretend your '70 Mustang was your first car...
Old 03-17-2011, 09:40 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by thefitzvh

Yeah
Every time I contact Honda to suggest they bring back the 'hawk they send me a link to the Ducati website.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:42 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the Forum. As far as starting out on a SHawk, I'll agree with Lazn that there are worse bikes but the SHawk is very potent at lower revs so take it very easy. If you have the opportunity you should get some saddle time in something much smaller - assuming the course you'll be taking supplies bikes it's likely they'll have 250s.
It is much easier to develop skill when you don't have to worry about the throttle.
Good luck!
Old 03-17-2011, 10:03 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by nekkid
Every time I contact Honda to suggest they bring back the 'hawk they send me a link to the Ducati website.
I love ducatis, just not the price.

I will keep hope alive for a new sporting twin from Honda at some point.

KEEP THE FAITH!
Old 03-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Squid

Welcome to the forum.
For a first bike, there are less intimidating ones. If you take it easy it can be a friendly ride. Just pretend your '70 Mustang was your first car...
haha it WAS my first car! i got it when i was 14, rebuilt the suspension and engine before i got my license then like a dumb 16 year old just about totaled it and that taught me not to street race. im 23 now and have sworn that ill sell off everything and live in that car before i get rid of it
Old 03-17-2011, 10:25 AM
MotoGP

Wait, is this for reals? That's not a good sign...
Old 03-17-2011, 10:36 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
haha it WAS my first car! i got it when i was 14, rebuilt the suspension and engine before i got my license then like a dumb 16 year old just about totaled it and that taught me not to street race. im 23 now and have sworn that ill sell off everything and live in that car before i get rid of it
Yep, the thing to realize is "just about totaled it" in a car is usually survivable. Same thing on a bike usually isn't.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:45 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by lazn
Yep, the thing to realize is "just about totaled it" in a car is usually survivable. Same thing on a bike usually isn't.
thats why i brought it up. that made me grow up real quick and i dont mess around on the road any more. a flat spin at 130 scared the everliving **** out of me, i couldnt imagine doing something like that on two wheels even at half the speed
Old 03-17-2011, 11:14 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
One of the most important things for a new rider to realize is that you can dial the speed on much faster than you can bleed it off. Take it easy with the throttle. It's very tempting to grab a handful, but like others have said, this bike is a torque monster.

Have fun and stay safe. Taking an MSF course would be highly recommended as well.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
It's all in your right wrist. The bike can be used to learn on but it can and will bite you if you don't give it some respect.

Also remember the bike is "sneaky" fast. What I mean is you don't get the power hit like an I4 so you don't realize how fast you are really going at times, especially when you are new.

Make sure you get some good gear and don't ride over your head (easier said than done....) and see if you can find a local mentor to help you through the learning process.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:31 PM
MotoGP

thats why i brought it up. that made me grow up real quick and i dont mess around on the road any more. a flat spin at 130 scared the everliving **** out of me, i couldnt imagine doing something like that on two wheels even at half the speed
since you're a brand new rider, although you have a lot of vehicle experience, you need to learn how difficult it is for cagers/other vehicles to see you. This first year or two is the most dangerous for motorcyclists because they don't know or understand how vulnerable they are and how this translates into hidden hazards everywhere. Every time I meet a new rider, I try to get him to hook up with an experienced rider who is also a good teacher, and they often aren't the same person.

there's a lot to learn and you need to learn it quickly because most driver's have their heads up their asses and you're the loser no matter who is right. So become quick and skilled at the controls, quick turning(countersteering) to avoid accidents, run your highbeams during daylight in urban areas, learn the your main brake is the front except in certain conditions and pretend you are invisible because you are riding on a road that belongs to the biggest and that ain't you.

You are nothing more than prey, and everything else on the road is the predator. You can relax and enjoy yourself, but this is most likely the time you will get eaten. happy trails!
Old 03-17-2011, 09:54 PM
Squid

motogomojo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nath981
since you're a brand new rider, although you have a lot of vehicle experience, you need to learn how difficult it is for cagers/other vehicles to see you. This first year or two is the most dangerous for motorcyclists because they don't know or understand how vulnerable they are and how this translates into hidden hazards everywhere. Every time I meet a new rider, I try to get him to hook up with an experienced rider who is also a good teacher, and they often aren't the same person.

there's a lot to learn and you need to learn it quickly because most driver's have their heads up their asses and you're the loser no matter who is right. So become quick and skilled at the controls, quick turning(countersteering) to avoid accidents, run your highbeams during daylight in urban areas, learn the your main brake is the front except in certain conditions and pretend you are invisible because you are riding on a road that belongs to the biggest and that ain't you.

You are nothing more than prey, and everything else on the road is the predator. You can relax and enjoy yourself, but this is most likely the time you will get eaten. happy trails!

The best advice given to me as a Newb was from a coworker that rides. He said that "EVERYONE on the road is trying to "kill you"."Even the other motorcyclists and your riding buddies,they are not waiving,they want to KILL YOU!"

After riding for a while with this mentality, it becomes second nature on how to reduce your risks.

I sometimes laugh out loud as a fellow biker waves or a cager motions my way and I think....Why is he trying to kill me?

Now if I can just keep from killing myself..............Corners are fun!
Old 03-18-2011, 04:01 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by 7moore7
Wait, is this for reals? That's not a good sign...
...just joking...
Old 03-18-2011, 04:58 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by motogomojo
The best advice given to me as a Newb was from a coworker that rides. He said that "EVERYONE on the road is trying to "kill you"."Even the other motorcyclists and your riding buddies,they are not waiving,they want to KILL YOU!"

After riding for a while with this mentality, it becomes second nature on how to reduce your risks.

I sometimes laugh out loud as a fellow biker waves or a cager motions my way and I think....Why is he trying to kill me?

Now if I can just keep from killing myself..............Corners are fun!
+1 every time I hear that someone is a new rider, i get a scary feeling because it brings up some of the tragedies that have befallen so many during this dangerous period.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:57 AM
MotoGP

...just joking...
Whew, I can rest easy now... that one got me going!