General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

FEMALE FRIEND WANTS 1ST. BIKE. ADVICE

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Squid

raptorrider is on a distinguished road
FEMALE FRIEND WANTS 1ST. BIKE. ADVICE

Work with a 26 year old female who would like to buy her 1st motorcycle. She says she has only $1500 maximum to spend. My advice to her was to look for a Kawasaki Ninja 250 as it is light and decent looking bike. Would like her to buy a reliable bike as her financial situation is tight. Anybody else have some input for her. She is 5'5" in height so bike could not have to tall of a saddle. Also she has never driven a motorcycle before, although she rows through the gears quite well in her manual transmission auto.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:43 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
depends on a bunch of variables, but I wouldn't be concerned with the particular model if this is her first bike given her financial constraints. I would help her find a jap bike with low miles that has been taken care of that she can get her feet flat on the ground. If you keep an open mind relative to the kind of bike, there will be a lot more choices. Something light and ergonomically appropriate with a comfortable seat.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:49 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I think that would be a perfect bike for her to start with. If she prefers a little more cruiser style Honda makes a ? (****) name escapes me at the moment. I looked at the local CL before responding to your post. You should be able to get a Ninja in her price range - problem is finding one. All the newer ones are $2300 or so but they are all later models (2-3 years old). Get her into a MSF course as soon as you can. That will either ignite the fire in her or put it out. I have a friend who is also a little on the short side and she has a SV650. She has a little more riding experience than your friend. Good luck and have fun!
Old 01-13-2010, 05:54 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
just to add the honda cb series like the cb350 or cl350 cb500 etc stay under 500 cc. They are great reliable bikes. There is also a Rebel 250 honda makes but it will only do 60 mph. Other than that the ninja 250 was unchanged until a year or two ago so if you need to stay in the $1500 price range the year is not very important, just the condition.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:23 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
i love the ninja 250. i started out on one and rode it for a year. if i had the room for another bike id buy one again to screw around on and take to the track, theyre a lot of fun.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:28 PM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
I'd suggest to her to go out and play in the dirt on like a cr80 or 100. Dirt is soft(er) and she could learn going through the gears, braking and such. If she has a friend with a little dirtbike, that's what I'd suggest. As far as getting her a streetbike, I agree with nath 981. Simply find soemthing that fits her that's not super powerful.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:35 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Suzuki GS500 or a Ninja EX500 are good choices also. You can get one with scratched up bodywork at that price.

Anything under 600cc is going to be slow, so you don't have to start at a 250.

In fact, I think at some point, too slow of a bike is dangerous because you can't get out of your own way and will have cars tailgating you.

I've put some miles on my girlfriend's Honda Rebel 250 and a S40 single cylinder Suzuki, and in traffic I feel a little closer to death than on my Superhawk.

Less experienced riders will like being closer to the ground on a small cruiser bike, but IMO, they're a poor choice for developing riding skills. BTW my gf is 5'1" and She rod my GS500 lowered 1" and her Ninja with stock height and shaved seat. 5'5" will fit any of the beginner bikes mentioned here in stock form.

And yeah, there isn't much R&D with these bikes, they don't change much. Condition is everything, year means nothing. The GS500 for example, has been basically unchanged for 15 years.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 01-13-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
Cheap price, good brakes, great turning, good looks... Suzuki GS500f

That's is what we bought my wife for her first bike, and she loves how it has a great gas range, turns like a **** and has decent power for a first bike.

The biggest 2 issues I have with the bike are these: on the 05 and earlier models, there is no gas gauge. You have to go based on the tripmeter or odometer.

My second gripe is lack of good aftermarket. If she's not going to keep this bike too long, then ahe probably won't worry about upgrading it much anyways.

this bike (at least for my wife) has been a great starter bike.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:58 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I'd go with a 250 rebel or maybe a GS500. My 2 cents says people should learn on something small and slow. The great thing about those bikes is $1500 will find you a nice one all day if you know what you're looking for, and you can probably shine it up a little and even sell it for a profit. They're easy to find, and easy to sell when it's time to upgrade. So it's basically like renting one to learn on for free. I've never had one but a 250 ninja I'm sure is a good choice as well. It's always a plus when someone already drives a stick, so they already understand how a clutch works.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:00 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

BTW I've also seen Buell Blasts for $1500, and GZ250's are also very cheap. If your area allows it a small dirtbike is also an excellent idea.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:04 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Whatever she feels most comfortable on.

Smaller displacement is more forgiving of mistakes in rider input, but more dangerous on faster roads since you can get run over easier.. So really whatever she is most comfortable on(feels the most in control of).
Old 01-13-2010, 08:30 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

I honestly wouldn't let my girlfriend, or anyone else I was teaching, take a 250 rebel or anything like it out on a busy road or highway. I bought her the rebel to learn on in a huge stadium parking lot. It took me a couple days the sell the bike. I also fixed up a gs500 recently and sold it no lie about 3 minutes after I listed it on CL. My idea is to simply upgrade to something a little more powerful that someone can safely ride out on the road once they've gotten over the initial hump of learning the basics. Small cheap bikes are so easy to buy and sell, like I said it's like borrowing it for free.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:39 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Also good on you both for being responsible and smart. I can't remember how many times I've heard people say "do you think a ZX9 is a good bike to learn on?" or "600's are slow." I've seen so many ads on craigslist advertising bikes like superhawks or top level 600's as good learner bikes. Not that you can't but...
Old 01-13-2010, 09:18 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by captainchaos
I honestly wouldn't let my girlfriend, or anyone else I was teaching, take a 250 rebel or anything like it out on a busy road or highway. I bought her the rebel to learn on in a huge stadium parking lot. It took me a couple days the sell the bike. I also fixed up a gs500 recently and sold it no lie about 3 minutes after I listed it on CL. My idea is to simply upgrade to something a little more powerful that someone can safely ride out on the road once they've gotten over the initial hump of learning the basics. Small cheap bikes are so easy to buy and sell, like I said it's like borrowing it for free.
why? i put my 250 through 10,000 miles of commuting, about half highway at 70+mph and half city. the ninja 250 will out accelerate most cars on the road, and since its so light its very to perform avoidance maneuver. it teaches you not to rely on the throttle to get you out of the way. and best of all it was only $300/year to insure when i was 19, and i constantly got over 70mpg.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:22 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
For a 5'5" woman who has never ridden a bike, I'd advise a 250 and the Ninja is a good choice.

It runs the quarter mile in the mid 14's, quicker than most cars and it will cruise at 75 mph all day. More importantly for a flat out virgin? It weighs an honest 100 lbs. less than a GS500.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well everyone has a different opinion but I would say try to get her some dirt experience first. Of course the MSF course (even though I don't agree with all their teachings it's a damn fine start) Then let her know that see will drop the bike a few times while she is learning so don't worry how "pretty" it is. In fact the less plastic body work the better.

With that said, The Ninja 250 is always a good start and there are lots of parts to do whatever you what with it or to it. Another bike that doesn't have as high of resale as the Ninja is the Honda VTR250 it's kind of a cult bike around here (and the new one looks trick but of course we don't get one) the one with the inboard front brake works pretty good but I would look for one with the standard front brake. The are a fun little bike but unlike the Ninja they are a bit hard to find parts for and there is no real aftermaket for them at all.

There is also a whole list of 250-400cc UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) from the 80's-90's that make great first bikes as you can just worry about learning to ride not be worried about hurting the bike.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 01-13-2010, 09:57 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
My wife is 5'4" and started on a Ninja 500 5 years ago at age 54. She loved it, but after putting 11,000 miles on it she wanted more power (said she couldn't keep up with me leaving lights). She now has just under 20,000 miles on her SV650S.

I rode both the EX250 and EX500 before we bought her 500, and although the 250 was fun to ride, the 500 felt much more substantial. And you need to shift the 250 every 0.8 seconds.

I had a student (over 6' tall) several years ago who rode an EX250 20 miles to school on the freeway, but I wouldn't do that.

Bottom line is what she feels comfortable sitting on. Then you ride it to give your riding input. And get her in an MSF course.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
My wife started on a Ninja 250 and loved it for 2 years and 15000 miles. She bought a SV650S when she wanted more power.

I've had a GS500E, and loved it, but it is heavier than the Ninja 250... but also a good option. The lack of plastics tend to turn off many women though, they seem to not want to see the engine/frame and such. (but there's always an exception to the rule)
so if she wants plastics Ninja 250 or Ninja 500 or a very beat up GS500F.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:55 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by jay956
why? i put my 250 through 10,000 miles of commuting, about half highway at 70+mph and half city. the ninja 250 will out accelerate most cars on the road, and since its so light its very to perform avoidance maneuver. it teaches you not to rely on the throttle to get you out of the way. and best of all it was only $300/year to insure when i was 19, and i constantly got over 70mpg.
Well the roads are pretty crazy/crowded as are the drivers down here and I think it's a bit too small and weak (the rebel) is all. Not saying by any means it isn't capable. I'd rather teach the basics on it and then her move up (I had her riding me on the back of her dad's heritage softail in no time) to something a little more powerful that you can put where you want-just my 2 cents I think it's safer. Riding a 15 horse rebel on I95 (it's 8 lanes wide in West Palm) isn't my idea of a good time
Old 01-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
Any brand of old 4-stroke dual sports under 300cc are the best starter bikes (like an 80's Honda XL125). They tend to be tough as nails for the unintended drop and they can be used in dirt for some initial training. Best of all you can find plenty under $1000 on CL.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Superstock

ttocsmai is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by raptorrider
She is 5'5" in height so bike could not have to tall of a saddle.
Yes, but how BIG is she? That might be the difference between the 250 and the 500
Old 01-14-2010, 04:05 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by captainchaos
Well the roads are pretty crazy/crowded as are the drivers down here and I think it's a bit too small and weak (the rebel) is all. Not saying by any means it isn't capable. I'd rather teach the basics on it and then her move up (I had her riding me on the back of her dad's heritage softail in no time) to something a little more powerful that you can put where you want-just my 2 cents I think it's safer. Riding a 15 horse rebel on I95 (it's 8 lanes wide in West Palm) isn't my idea of a good time
i would agree about the rebel. just remember that not all 250's a created equal, the ninja does 0-60 in about 8 seconds and tops out at around 100mph.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Back Marker

toy4xchris is on a distinguished road
My younger sister has a ninja 250 its a great bike I even have fun riding it the only problem we have had is my younger brother who is wayyyy to big for it kinda beat it pretty bad and spun a bearing in the bottom end but other than that they make a great bike and look pretty good.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Squid

raptorrider is on a distinguished road
She is looking at most bikes mentioned

Samantha has decided to concentrate on the Kaw and Suzuki 500 or the Kaw 250. Style points count for her and those three bikes look like sport bikes. She is of average weight and coordinated enough. Looking at Craigslist the Kawasakis are plentiful and the Suzuki not so much. Really there is not much to choose from in sport bikes of those engine sizes. Anyone knowing of a good buy in a 500 mile radius of Omaha Ne. let me know. She asked me to teach her to ride. My advice was to take safety course. Thanks Mike.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:22 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
I'm surprised no one suggested a VTR250. My local CL has a '90 in what is described as "great condition" for $1100 asking. I imagine these could be found for $800 - $1000.
Actually it is too bad the modern VTR250 isn't sold here, that looks like an awsome first bike
Old 01-14-2010, 08:05 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Stevebis1
I'm surprised no one suggested a VTR250. My local CL has a '90 in what is described as "great condition" for $1100 asking. I imagine these could be found for $800 - $1000.
Actually it is too bad the modern VTR250 isn't sold here, that looks like an awsome first bike
Yeah they're cool little bikes (the miami vice graphics not so much ) and for some reason there are always several nice ones for sale around South Florida. It IS a shame they don't sell the newer version here-what a cool bike!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrBycoeFuIQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHwJy...eature=related
Old 01-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Squid

dieschem is on a distinguished road
SV650
XJ600
GS500
CBR600 f2
Old 01-14-2010, 11:10 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Stevebis1
I'm surprised no one suggested a VTR250.
Go back 9 posts
Old 01-15-2010, 06:07 AM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
Would be a long drive, but its a great price if he still has it.

witchita falls texas

http://wichitafalls.craigslist.org/mcy/1549742266.html
Old 01-15-2010, 06:21 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Go back 9 posts

Ooops - good thing I'm not in the Marines!

Quick Reply: FEMALE FRIEND WANTS 1ST. BIKE. ADVICE