General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

how do you unfog helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 09:09 PM
Squid

Cheesedrug
how do you unfog helmet?

I've got one of those ZR1 helmets (cheap, but effective according to Motorcylist Mag) that came free with the bike when I bought it a couple of months ago. I immediately was going to buy a high dollar Shoei or Arai, but I really like the fit, the price (free), the visor (stays put in all the positions nice), and the fact that the helmet is relatively quiet. The only problem is the visor fogs pretty badly even with vents wide open. Tonight I was riding in about 50 degree weather (nice benefit to living in the South) and could not stop the visor from fogging badly...even when I flipped it up a notch or 2. Does anyone know a good fix for this? I've heard possibly putting toothpaste on visor? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:23 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Re: how do you unfog helmet?

spit on it, course I would only do that in a pintch...lol.....I have seen stuff they make that you can apply to keep the fog down....can't recall any of the names right off....google it.....
Old 03-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Fog City Fog Shield

OR

Foggy Respro Breath Guard

I've tried both, and I like the fog shield more. The breath guard is more effective, but it sits on the bridge of your nose and tickles it, making me feel like I need to sneeze.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:22 PM
Back Marker

call me phil

use reguar old hair shampoo. wipe it on the inside of the visor and wipe it off with a clean DRY towel. i live in new england so i know how badly fogged visor are when the temp hits 40-50 degrees. but odnt thank me, thank mister wizard, thats where i learned it, (works good on bathroom mirrors also!)
Old 04-01-2006, 05:41 PM
Squid

VTR69

I got a product at the Honda shop here called "Fog Off". Works OK. Glad your'e liking the Z1R. I just ordered one. My Arai Signet is getting old so I just had to see what $89 would buy.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Back Marker

superbikemike

Back in ancient times we used to use dish soap to keep fog off our hockey visors.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:27 PM
Back Marker

superbikemike

I recently bought an s500 air by shark. No fog even in worst cond but I could get wet in a downpour I'm guessing.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:55 PM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
interesting... at night as long as I'm moving my helmet doesn't fog at all. it's at stop lights where it gets a lil foggy and I just crack it to defog until I'm moving agian...
Old 04-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Superstock

mikecronis

Check out Scorpion Helemets. I can sell you mine (EX-700) for cheap.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:43 PM
SuperSport

Loco
Yeah, a little soap and water goes a long way in preventative maintenance. The pH is basic, which helps to break up the surface tension on the surface of the shield, which doesn't allow the fog to form. Try it, it also works on bathroom mirrors for those long hot showers with female riders you meet when you are riding the twisties and looking like a badass on your superhawk so you stop to talk to them and they say how hot your bike makes them and how their boyfriends can't satisfy them and they always wanted to be with a racer and you can't help but realize how easy it is so you ... what were we talking about?
Old 04-02-2006, 03:47 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road

I use "never fog" on my helmet visors and eyeglasses. department stores and the like used to sell it so I don't know if its still available - I bought it years ago and the bottle lasts forever. Its designed for glass, plastic, mirrors etc. bottle has a guy shaving in front of a mirror on it and 1/2 is clear while the other half is fogged up.

Rick B
02 SH
Old 04-02-2006, 03:55 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Loco";p=&quot
Yeah, a little soap and water goes a long way in preventative maintenance. The pH is basic, which helps to break up the surface tension on the surface of the shield, which doesn't allow the fog to form. Try it, it also works on bathroom mirrors for those long hot showers with female riders you meet when you are riding the twisties and looking like a badass on your superhawk so you stop to talk to them and they say how hot your bike makes them and how their boyfriends can't satisfy them and they always wanted to be with a racer and you can't help but realize how easy it is so you ... what were we talking about?
I have had a real problem with that...I usually just rub the soap on them, then nothing fogs up....and the girls don't mind, they say it tickles a little...lol
Old 04-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Superstock

Verne
You can also use cheap shaving cream. Just take a very small amount and wipe it over the screen on the inside and its good to go. Try it on a small area first some cream can scratch it up. Also works real well on mirrors in the bathroom.

Thanks

Verne
Old 04-02-2006, 09:02 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point

Wal-Mart or your local Auto Parts should have "No Fog" product made by Rain-X company.

I use it on my Dirt Bike goggles and my Street visors.

Just tap a small paper towel wet it with this stuf, rub the inside of the visor and let dry. Then wipe to a polish luster with a sodt clean cloth.

You might also check on a fog deflector for your helmet. I use Arai hlemets and they have a snap in deflector that wraps over your nose and forces your hot air breath downward away from the shiled.

Good Luck!
Old 04-03-2006, 07:24 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
All these ideas are good to try. Consider a FOG City insert as well. You're discovering the comfort compromises of cheap helments.

On a side note, I hate to see people buying into that Motorcyclist article.