General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

How do Stock 03 Superhawks go as far as Track days

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Back Marker

F1 Fan in Nascar Land is an unknown quantity at this point
How do Stock 03 Superhawks go as far as Track days

Really the title is about it. I am used to the SV so Im just curious I have ridden my friends 03 Superhawk but not enough to really know. Are they nice and nimble for a 1000 V-twin or are they a hassle to adjust the suspention in order to use the bike well?
Old 04-03-2006, 12:16 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How do Stock 03 Superhawks go as far as Track days

Could use some improvements but work well. What class, (novice, intermediate, expert) are you riding in? I was able to drag a knee with it stock except I have rearsets so take off those curb feelers. Which SV, 650 or 1000? If it was 650 it won't be as flickable but more power.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
The front end is too soft in stock form to be of much use at the track. When you upgrade the front end, you'll see the rear needs some attention too. Besides suspension upgrades, the brake system could use SS lines and better pads.

You won't have much top end pull on the newer liter-twins, but from my experience, the Superhawk is much more easy to flip on its side and from one side to the other in fast transitions (especially after raising the rear).
Old 04-03-2006, 12:54 PM
MotoGP

Ah...I think he said stock Marm. I went with a new shock and an inverted front end eventually but it will work stock just not nearly as good. But all of his thoughts are good ones.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

Wow. How did I miss that "stock" part? Doh. That track shot of you better be with the stock equipment.

There's not as much adjustability on the stock SHawk as other bikes, but it's enough to get by.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Back Marker

F1 Fan in Nascar Land is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by F1 Fan in Nascar Land";p=&quot
Really the title is about it. I am used to the SV so Im just curious I have ridden my friends 03 Superhawk but not enough to really know. Are they nice and nimble for a 1000 V-twin or are they a hassle to adjust the suspention in order to use the bike well?
I guess I dont need another hole thread for this but how is the bike just stock on the rode leaning it over (riding alittle agresive/illegal even though I keep it to a minimum) real good I dont trust most roads but I have gotton the SV (650) all the way over on the roads and what do you guys mean by the curb feelers (those little pin things under the foot pegs, and I would like to buy some after market footpegs who makes some good ones, I dont like the stock ones that much, this is of course if I even get the bike it will be hard to part with the SV. I dont know if any of you have ridden an SV 650 but there suspension is nothing to write home about either but you can get the bike over nice, is that basically the charictoristics of the SH its stable as long as you dont push the #$%# out of it.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

What punctuation?
Old 04-03-2006, 02:49 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by marmaladeboy";p=&quot
That track shot of you better be with the stock equipment.
Yep...1st or 2nd trackday completly stock suspension. :wink:
Old 04-03-2006, 02:55 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

My riding buddy has an '01 SV 650 and we swap bikes all the time. The SV's suspension blows big time but still its a confidence inspiring fun "little" bike which tops out at 200km/h. Good for tooling around on. The VTR feels like a big block compared to it and is far more confident when pushing hard. It tops out at about 255km/h.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point

My $.02 worth......

First thing: (IMO) the SH is not a high end, modern sport bike. It is quite conventional and almost understated in its approach to demanding riding.
That said, in stock form, it is still quite capable of providing loads of bang for the buck.
All my suspension is stock and now that I have it set properly, it suffices, even when pushed very hard.
It suffices. It does not excel. But, to expect it to excel would not be realistic.
In my experience, if you drop your body down, lowering your CG, and get you head and shoulders out front and really to the inside of the turn, you'll suprise yourself at how "flickable" the SH can be.
You can get some serious lean angles and cut some smooth turns, for less $$ than a new sportbike would cost.
SS brake lines and good pads are almost a must in my book. Track or street, brakes mean more to me than suspension. A good rider can override the factory brakes quicker than he can override the factory suspension. At least that's my opinion.
In stock trim, you can drag a knee all day long, and drag peg feelers too. Take 'em off, unless you feel more comfortable with them scraping. I do not, so they were trashed long ago.
The power is plenty for fun, but will not hold with modern pure sportbikes (750 and 1000cc) when speeds get on into the triple digits.

In summary, the same rider on a modern sportbike will turn better times than he would on a SH.
BUT, a good rider on a SH can outrun a so-so rider on a modern sportbike.
A talented rider on a modern sportbike, will dust a so-so rider on a SH, and outrun a talented rider on a SH.

If you are to be in Beginner or Intermediate, the SH will serve you plenty well.
Sure, some guys will smoke you. But, if you're like me, that would happen regardless of what bike I was on. There's ALWAYS somebody faster!
If there wasn't, I'd be leading the pack in the Advanced class. NOT!

Go to the track, ride hard, have fun!

Oh yeah....DON'T CRASH!
Old 04-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Squid

VTR69

The footpeg feelers were a nuisance for me, ditched those. The wind screen was too low for me to get behind on the straights so a dubble bubble got installed. Outside of that, as a beginning track day rider I had a blast on my VTR. I've tracked it with and without fork/shock upgrades and really the lap times only came down with experience in my case. Have fun.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:16 AM
Back Marker

gssbmm

I've had two track days on mine and if your just begining you'll do just fine on it, I'm still workign on setting mine up the way I want it, I need to up the springs for my weight and stainless brake lines. but any problem I've had is me not the bike. Ive been to motorsports ranch in cressen and houston tx. houston is a new track and it's awsome. if your anywhere close to houston I'd say it a good destination. cressen just added some new track but I won't get to ride that till may. goin to try to make texas world next weekend so it'll be intresting to see my SH on a faster( old nascar oval) track. mines a 99 with leo vince carbon cans. but watch the corner exit a ham fist will bring up the front wheel still leaned over intresting feeling the first time you do it but I still love mine
Old 04-04-2006, 09:31 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
As your pace picks up, you will start to grind the kickstand on the left side and exhaust header on the right. A lower fairing protects the header. the brakes are the biggest limitation for track days. Most sportbikes have bigger brakes so it can get pretty exciting if you're riding very aggressively, wondering if you're going to get slowed down. In contrast, RC51 brakes will stand it on its nose easily. You have to be light on the brakes to keep the back end from wanting to come around.