General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

how comfortable is it

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Squid

Alex F. is on a distinguished road
how comfortable is it

lookin at a 99 or 98 super hawk. ideally i was lookin for an f4i bc its the most comfortable bike ever. hows the comfort on the hawk though? the one im lookin at is badass!! input would be great..thanks!
Old 03-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
The ergos are pretty much the same.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:22 PM
v-twin4tmfw
Back Marker

996 is on a distinguished road
Bar risers and sargent/corbin seat and you can ride 10 hrs.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:26 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Stock seat, stock bars, stock pegs, and I have rode 1080mi, 900mi, 700mi, 600mi, and many more long days. Just saying...
Old 03-06-2011, 10:07 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I'm 64 years old with a messed up back, and I love my SuperHawk (with a Sargent seat and stock clip-ons). I've put almost 47,000 miles on it since bought new in August 2005. 21,000 of those miles are in the last 2 years, since retiring.

I was actually sitting on an F4i at the dealership, when I asked the salesman for a brochure and read about the VTR. They didn't have a SuperHawk in stock and I hadn't heard of it (I hadn't read any MC magazines since the early '90s and all my riding buddies had moved away). The Honda brochure sold me on it.

I put down a $500 deposit, they got one transfered from another dealer, I rode it, and the fun started.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 03-06-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Squid

Alex F. is on a distinguished road
thanks guys!
Old 03-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
I'm 64 years old with a messed up back, and I love my SuperHawk (with a Sargent seat and stock clip-ons). I've put almost 47,000 miles on it since bought new in August 2005. 21,000 of those miles are in the last 2 years, since retiring.

I am a new Superhawk owner with almost no "get acquainted" ride time since taking possession recently. I too have some back trouble, and late 50ish age wise, minor arthritis etc.

So can I assume you're running all stock suspension? If so that's very encouraging. My two short rides the first day I got it seemed a little harsh and I was thinking mods. But afterward I realized there was significant spring preload cranked in which I backed off. But since then, no ride time yet to see if it's better.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:11 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CrankenFine
I am a new Superhawk owner with almost no "get acquainted" ride time since taking possession recently. I too have some back trouble, and late 50ish age wise, minor arthritis etc.

So can I assume you're running all stock suspension? If so that's very encouraging. My two short rides the first day I got it seemed a little harsh and I was thinking mods. But afterward I realized there was significant spring preload cranked in which I backed off. But since then, no ride time yet to see if it's better.
I'm running stock suspension with the rear preload on the 2nd notch from the bottom. I'm 5'10", 155 pounds, and I do mostly spirited canyon rides.

The Sargent seat made a big difference when I got it 3 years ago. With stock clip-ons the riding position actually takes the load off my back while riding.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
The stock riding position on the VTR is actually pretty good, fairly relaxed... But depending on your preferences it can be improved pretty easily...

The cheap and easy include new handlebars... VFR handlebars from some years is a direct bolt-on replacement that gives a bit more relaxed posture... Superbike bars is another cheap and easy solution, but usually requires new brakelines and trimming the fairing... Adjustable handlebars aren't really cheap, but an option...

The foot controls are another matter, the VTR has specific controls, CBR whatever rearsets doesn't fit, since the bracket includes the mounting hole for the swingarm... Getting rearsets was expensive when the bike was new, now it's pretty ridiculous...

The cheap and easy options are getting Buell footpegs, that lowers them a bit, or "vario pegs" that has a variable arm that you can rotate in different positions... Both direkt bolt on replacements to the stock pegs...

Last but not least, the seat... the stock seat is pretty decent, but the shape might not really fit you... Sargent and Corbin make replacements with different shape and better foam... Pricy...

Just FYI, this list is just a bunch of search terms... stick it in the search engine of the site and you get a lot of info and more or less a "how-to" on most topics...
Old 03-10-2011, 12:19 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
tweet

your so nice today...

don't forget a db screen & NEP throttle stop

worst thing on the oe saddle is its slope is a ballbuster for us man types
Old 03-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

Talking

Originally Posted by skokievtr
worst thing on the oe saddle is its slope is a ballbuster for us man types
Yeah, I'm a little slow sometimes but I figured that one out in the first 5 minutes- yeeouch that stock seat cramps me in the wrong spot.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

Wink

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
I'm running stock suspension with the rear preload on the 2nd notch from the bottom. I'm 5'10", 155 pounds, and I do mostly spirited canyon rides.

The Sargent seat made a big difference when I got it 3 years ago. With stock clip-ons the riding position actually takes the load off my back while riding.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking maybe a tank bag to lay on if my back or shoulders get fatigued sore. Everyone seems to agree the Sargents are a good comfort upgrade. My wife is still getting over the fact I even got a bike so maybe I'll wait a couple months before spending $300 on a seat.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:02 PM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
The bars on my friend's CBR are about 3-4" lower. It makes a big difference!