General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Hello

Old 03-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Squid

FuzzeyFiveOh is on a distinguished road
Hello

Hello and good evening one and all!

I'm new to the forum and I'm trying my best to use the "search" button.

I personally own an '08 Harley Sportster 883 but I'm holding on to my buddy's 03-04? Superhawk. It's got a few problems with it, sheared bolt hole on the tail fairing, directionals have some sort of gremlin in them, and work when i jiggle the wires at the rear end. And somehow the clutch fluid managed to find its way out of the reservoir... I suspect from my readings it is supposed to take DOT4 Brake fluid?

Apparently he says the brakes on it need to be replaced as well.

It's got a few goodies on it, Yoshimura Exhaust, Dymag wheels (that apparently on the front suffers from a pinhole and needs to be fixed. -Each ride the front tire has to be aired up before riding.) A steering dampener system, and a camera mount on the tank :P

I've ridden it once, and found it to be far faster than my little sporty. Infact, I don't know how I managed it, but just pulling out onto a street, I did a brief wheel stand... something I didn't nor will ever try to duplicate again without a lot of practice and confidence. Luck was with me on that little excursion.

With that said,

My buddy is currently stationed in HI for the Coast Guard and is set to go to Alameda, CA and is having his bike shipped from here in VA to CA in May. I'd like to get as much fixed for him as possible, hopefully with not too much expense, but not too cheap as to sacrifice safety. I'm going to continue searching the boards for the answers to my questions, but I apologize in advance if I ask something obviously redundant.

Here's a picture of the bike and I as it sits now...

Old 03-15-2010, 01:08 AM
Speed Demon
Superstock

crackerjackman is on a distinguished road
Nice bike. Welcome to the forum. And about the front wheel coming off of the ground....Yea the SH is a wheelie machine. Alot of people will tell you that with just stock gearing she will come up in 1st and 2nd on a hard roll with the throttle. As with the gremlins with the blinkers. Mark what goes to what and then unplug the signal wires and check for corrosion and clean if any and also the signal switch. Things get dirty over the years. Im sure others will chime in also. Hope that helps yea out a lil bit.

Philip
Old 03-15-2010, 01:11 AM
Speed Demon
Superstock

crackerjackman is on a distinguished road
Also I believe yes the clutch does DOT4 and you might want to check the Master clutch cylinder, clutch lines, and slave cylinder for leakage and replace or repair if necessary
Old 03-15-2010, 07:15 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
there are companies that do wheel repair I would contact one of them and see how much they want for repairing that front wheel leak, seems like it would begin becoming a real pain pretty quick airing it up all the time.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:59 PM
Superstock

hondavtr1000sp2 is on a distinguished road
,You seem like a nice guy to fix your friends bike.

You should get a Superhawk of your own & stay with this forum !

It should only cost about $20 to get a plug put in your front tire if the bike shop says it is safe to do so.

And yes i used DOT 4 brake fluid in my clutch reservoir. You may want to dismantle it & put it back together. I bought my Firestorm as a wreck & the clutch reservoir was leaking, it had just been knocked out of its proper seating, works good as new now, worth a try.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:05 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the site...
Old 03-15-2010, 08:22 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Hi and welcome...

As for the electrical gremlins, usually that's corrosion in the terminals at the signals, they are somewhat exposed to rain and such... Could also be time to open up the handlebar control and clean and lube the switch, degradation/grime can cause bad connection there as well... Worst case you have a damaged wire, either "broken off" inside the isolation or damaged insulation... But that's an unlikely cause... (I'm just mentioning it because you said wiggeling it helps...)

DOT4 fluid it is... Usually if the reservoar is leaking it's the rubber seal not seated correctly or damage to the reservoar (cracks, crash damage)...

For the fairing repair, search ABS repair on the site, there was a thread recently... Basicly a low power soldering pen and some bits of ABS plastic and you can repair or rebuild an ABS fairing...

BTW, the hawk ain't a bike... It's a one wheeler with landing gear... Lofting the front is something you'll get used to... It tends to do it occasionly...
It's like a dog wagging it's tail when it's happy... The superhawk waves the front wheel in the air instead...