General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Hello

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Squid

roadapple is on a distinguished road
Hello

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here, and I am looking for a little information. I have a buddy that has a 1998 Super Hawk. The bike has Yoshimura exhaust, steel, braided brake lines, a "stage I kit", and many of the aftermarket add ons that are popular in the motorcycle magazines. The bike has 12000 miles on it.

My buddy wants $3000.00 for it.

Is this a good deal?

What should I look for? I have heard that sometimes the engine cases crack where the swing arm mounts/pivots. Is this common? What is the real world top end speed on this machine?

I have mostly heard nothing but good things about the Super Hawk. It seems like a great bike.

Thanks for any help....

Roadapple
Old 11-26-2006, 05:20 AM
Back Marker

MisterMohawk
Hey Roadapple! Don't see many roadapples here in NYC but a person would see 'em often where I grew up in CO. Highschool was in a rural redneck farming wonderland.

$3k sounds like a pretty good deal if there are no issues with the bike. Seems a little lower than average for those mods with that many miles.

I've never heard of an instance of engine cases cracking. I can't say it'll never happend but I've not heard of an issue. Biggest issues with the Superhawk are CCT failures, R/R failures, budget suspension and half-hearted brakes.

I'm not sure of the top speed. I've only been up to 130 or so, but unless you'll be on the track a lot it matters little. Even on track top speed won't be a limiting factor.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:08 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Top speed is around 150 (actual). Speedo error and the 10% wheel slip that occurs makes it look more like 160 or so. Expect performance about that of a decent 600cc, except with about double the torque.

Never heard of a VTR case cracking. $3k is a good deal if the bike has good looking plastic.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:08 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Welcome! If the bike is straight and clean 3k sounds like a great deal. In '98 when they came out Cycle World listed the top end at 155 mph, and in a more recent test 150. Anyone ever notice EVERY time I see a Honda tested they get slower and less powerful every year they get retested? When I had my new '98 in '99 I saw 165 on the speedo with the temp tags still on it (in the rain...), which shredded off by the time I got home, so 150-155 sounds about right. A friend at the time who also had one farted with the carbs and had a pair of Microns CLAIMED 161 on a radar gun... Couldn't tell you any more recent stories I thankfully don't ride like that anymore. Anyway it's not what the bike's about.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:19 AM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
Welcome! ........ Anyway it's not what the bike's about.
:-D ..... +1

$3000 is a good buy. But if he is a real good friend, he should just give it to you given its the holidays soon
Old 11-26-2006, 05:34 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a good deal... Welcome to the forum!
Old 11-26-2006, 05:56 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Greetings & Welcome to the forum! I'm in Austin and there other Texans here too! I think it sounds like a very good deal - especially if it's a red one! They are the fastest!
Old 11-26-2006, 06:05 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Top speed is around 150 (actual). Speedo error and the 10% wheel slip that occurs makes it look more like 160 or so. Expect performance about that of a decent 600cc, except with about double the torque.

Never heard of a VTR case cracking. $3k is a good deal if the bike has good looking plastic.

i managed to bury my speedo at 180 on a nice long very lightly used stretch of road. with known speedo error I imagine it was somewher between 150-155.
..............tucked in behind a busa,who couldnt figure why the hell
he didnt lose me!
Old 11-27-2006, 01:27 PM
Squid

roadapple is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the info! The bike is a red one. I was wondering about the top speed, because my friend claimed he got it up to 160 (and still had throttle left). I read in a motorcycle magazine that the top end was about 150. My friend claims that the after market exhaust and carb kits have made the bike faster