General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

headlight spring clip

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 10:28 AM
Squid

davidhartley is an unknown quantity at this point
headlight spring clip

change the headlight bulb.. ok, sounds like even *I* should be able to do that, right ?
NO ! very, very wrong!
step 1. read manual.
step 2. take out old bulb
step 3. put in new bulb

step 4. spend 2 hours trying to figure out how to put this ridiculous spring clip back in.
UNsucessfully.
step 5. take the bike to the mechanic, I guess.... if I spend any more time on it, I'll probably get so frustrated I'll need to kill something

Old 07-23-2005, 03:14 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
for me it was easier to look through the front of the headlight to see where to seat the clip..
Old 07-23-2005, 04:38 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: headlight spring clip

The clip is very easy once you see what it looks like and how it goes. Maybe your hands are like ham hocks.

The clip hinges out to one side out of the way. You can re and re the bulb then.

The clip pokey end that attaches, goes under and around into, a "C" shape piece of plastic that holds the clip tight. The clip goes up under the bottom and hooks into it.

Its very simple once you see it. Get a small kid to do it.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:42 PM
Back Marker

W-O-T

I would have not figured it out unless I had pulled the front fairing....

After I did that... I was able to visual remember the clip and did it without removing a thing....

I can definitely see how you had a MAJOR issue if you never saw it head on....
Old 07-25-2005, 09:31 AM
Back Marker

VTRFISH

W-O-T made a good point. I had to do the same, full fairing removal, to figure mine out. It turned into a full day project though......I ended up doing a deep cleaning of my bike. That's what took must of the day....the spring was 15 seconds......AT MOST!!! LOL
Old 07-25-2005, 06:31 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
first time i had to figure it out was in aan autozone parking lot at 9pm..... nice and dark. i'm telling ya.. it's all about looking through the front of the headlight. still a pain in the @$$ though.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:54 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

Strange, I can see my clip perfectly clear looking under the left clip on, after removing the plug and boot of course.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:11 PM
Superstock

mikecronis

Changing the bulb is not that easy to do if you can't see or get at it very easilly, as is in the case of the SHawk. I've changed my bulb on my Kawasaki Ninja 500 which requires you to remove the faring giving super access to the whole thing, as well as the Ninja 250R. From remembering I was able to replace my 2005 bulb with a PIAA Superwhite in the tiny space provided without looking pretty-much with both my mitts in there.

The hinge is a pretty universal motorcycle-type locking mechanism that slides and clasps over a weird bit like a hinge and is bizzare. Once you see how it is done by removing the faring and remembering and pre-analyzing the removal and how it should look when you're done before you remove it then the whole thing should only take about 10 minutes even for a beginner (minus faring removal, 'course, which may take up to 30 minutes if you don't know where the bolts are, etc.)

Luckilly, the SHawk bulb is accessable (just barely) by:

1) Unplugging the wire harness box thing from the bulb.
2) Pull back the black water sheath that looks like a plunger completely.
3) Un-do the hinge thingy holding in the bulb.
4) Pull out the bulb.

Replace the new bulb in the reverse order. Note that the bulb will have 3 metal tabs you have to line-up so it's seated in there. As far as I can tell, there's no worry for top-up rotation. Fits any way in.

Note* Never touch the new bulb's glass with your fingers! You can use a VERY clean rag or something NON-oily, otherwise the bulb will cook the oils on it and break the glass (or so I'm told).