General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

header restriction

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 08:01 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
header restriction

Hi Folks,

realizing that this topic may have been discussed previously, but is there any benefit to grinding away the "restriction" that is found in the right side of the exhaust collector (see pic)? I did try to do a search on this topic but had little success.

Would appreciate input from someone who has tried it (dyno results would be especially welcome). Also, how does it feel seat of the pants? Better response? Which rpm range? Effect on vibration level?

cheers
Mikstr
Old 12-09-2005, 10:28 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: header restriction

I took mine to a big hi performance machine shop and they did a really nice job grinding it out although it wasn't as easy as you might think.

When I asked if it was possible that Honda designed it that way the old dude said, "no, thats just cheap manufacturing". Then I asked if it would make much difference cutting it out and he said "It will definitely breath better, can't hurt"

Seat of the pants difference - zero, peace of mind 100%

Both mufflers puff at about the same rate now.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:11 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually used a good quality holesaw with the header installed and then sucked the shavings out with a shop vac.
Don't remember what size exactly, and I'm at work so I can't run into the garage and look at it, but I got it at Lowe's and it fit just about perfectly, very little clean up required.
Kai Ju
Old 12-17-2005, 03:10 PM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
I just fired the bike up w/o the right can on after I got done so it'd blow out the shavings. After I did it, I keep having this recurring vision of straight pipes...
Old 12-18-2005, 06:45 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Holesaw? Clever. I'd never have thought of it.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:32 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point

That's why they pay me the big bucks, yeah right !
It was a 1 1/2" ( 38mm) holesaw.

Kai Ju
Old 12-24-2005, 05:40 AM
Back Marker

senecagreen
When I put my Two Brothers cans on the right side mid pipe was too long by about 1/2" (It protruded over the raised flange on the header by about 3/8") I noticed the restriction in there then. I took care of it yesterday with the holesaw trick (works great!) It took about 20 seconds. Be sure to wear heavy gloves so when the holesaw catches in the last little bit it doesn't hurt so bad when it slams your hand into the peg.

I used new gaskets when I put the new cans on but never could get a good seal on the right side because of the mid pipe too long. I had been putting off fixing it until I read about the holesaw trick. I cut the Two Brothers mid pipe back about 1/2" and reslotted it a little further with a hacksaw. My gasket was still like brand new because it had never been clamped good. Now it seals perfect.

Thanks for the holesaw idea. I already had a 1 1/2" holesaw from Lowes from a previous muffler mod.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:06 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk

senecagreen
Do those 2bros sound any different after the de-baffling? I've never gotten around to doing the mod and was just wondering if it evens out the pulse or sound?
(also running 2-Bros, C5 high mounts)