General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Handle bar & riser kits?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:04 AM
Squid

LoPing78 is on a distinguished road
Handle bar & riser kits?

I want to make a SF out of the 98VTR I'm picking up on Saturday..I've Googled and have found companies selling these kits but haven't found anything specific to the VTR 1000. Most are for newer bikes. Does anyone know where I can get a kit that will fit a 98? Thanks in advance..
Old 03-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Back Marker

thefitzvh is on a distinguished road
I bought risers from an SV650 and a superbike bar... i'll take pics of the parts and post em when I get home
Old 03-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by thefitzvh
I bought risers from an SV650 and a superbike bar... i'll take pics of the parts and post em when I get home
Sweet.. Thanks man! My idea is pretty basic as my mechanical aptitude is pretty basic.. I want to take all the plastics off, set up a side by side head lamp situation (sorta like a Speed Triple),have a small fly screen, wrap the headers, then wrap the tank and tail section in matte black vinyl, and call it a day.. and I guess I'll need a new tach and speedo too..
Old 03-08-2011, 08:54 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=24714

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=7151

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=23937

depends on what you're looking for in terms of price, ergos, difficulty, etc.

Last edited by nath981; 03-08-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Squid

General Maximus is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LoPing78
I want to make a SF out of the 98VTR I'm picking up on Saturday..I've Googled and have found companies selling these kits but haven't found anything specific to the VTR 1000. Most are for newer bikes. Does anyone know where I can get a kit that will fit a 98? Thanks in advance..

What is the allure of a street fighter??? I understand artistic creation and such, but how does it make the bike better?? I am not railing on ones decision, but simply asking why?? If I wanted a SF, I would have looked for one to start with, like a Duc Monster or such. Fill me in as to its attributes.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:37 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by General Maximus
What is the allure of a street fighter??? I understand artistic creation and such, but how does it make the bike better?? I am not railing on ones decision, but simply asking why?? If I wanted a SF, I would have looked for one to start with, like a Duc Monster or such. Fill me in as to its attributes.
There are a thousand answers to that question, and most fighter builders will probably give you a different answer, but these are a couple you'll get:

a) Crashed the bike, don't want to pay for new plastics.

b) Save weight. The performance doesn't help at higher speeds as you loose some aerodynamics, but fighters often have chopped tails, little plastic lights and are an "all go no show" type of setup.

c) A little easier to work on. All the stuff is right there, with no plastics to get through. Not really a strong argument for making a radical change to your bike, but hey, it's there.

d) Aesthetics- the raw, mechanical look of a naked bike is appealing in some circles. You can have the same gixxer or cbr as your buddies but it looks like a completely different bike.

e) OCMD- some people want to change their bike just 'cause they can.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:44 AM
Back Marker

thefitzvh is on a distinguished road
The allure of a streetfighter, for me, is how gorgeous the bike looks with no plastics and a front mounted radiator.

Sexy.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by nath981
Great info man.. Thanks for the links.. I wasn't expecting to have to drill anything.. I have some things to think about thats for sure..
Old 03-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Squid

General Maximus is on a distinguished road
^^^^^^^seems reasonable. I like the overall look as it is, which eliminates the need for massive changes. (I realize this is a self referring statement) Maybe, thats why I looked for over a year to find the "right" bike. Riding circumstances dictate to me that a SF is very impractable as well. Because of where I live, and the amount highway riding I do, I cannot see myself in an un-faired cycle.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by General Maximus
^^^^^^^seems reasonable. I like the overall look as it is, which eliminates the need for massive changes. (I realize this is a self referring statement) Maybe, thats why I looked for over a year to find the "right" bike. Riding circumstances dictate to me that a SF is very impractable as well. Because of where I live, and the amount highway riding I do, I cannot see myself in an un-faired cycle.
Good point.. I just like the SF style.. like the way it looks.. I see your point.. my commute to work is 8 miles give or take.. I'm rarely on interstates.. Just want something to ride around town, cause rukus on, etc... Basically I just want an urban assult vehicle.. For longer touring I have my mind set on the Triumph Sprint.. (one day)..