General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

GenMar universal pullback bar riser

Old 02-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Squid

DaNewKidd is on a distinguished road
GenMar universal pullback bar riser

hi guys, just wondering if anyone has tried the GenMar universal pullback bar riser on the superhawk? It looks mighty tempting as this would be a great riser for the superbike bar conversion...for that matter, does anyone even think this will work with the superhawk triple tree clamp? That round nubbin looks like it needs to be filed off...

http://www.zianet.com/genmar/X102.html
Attached Thumbnails GenMar universal pullback bar riser-genmar-pullback-riser.jpg   GenMar universal pullback bar riser-genmar-pullback-riser-2.jpg  
Old 02-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Back Marker

slabm7 is on a distinguished road
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...perbike&page=3

Post 65

It has been done and guys have grinded the nub off. I did the superbike bar mod with just normal risers and it works great. I used a dremel and removed some of the fairing to have full turning range. It works fine, the fairing doesn't lose any strength and looks good. It is a great mod for comfort and makes the hawk a great touring bike. If only it had a longer range it would be my ideal sport touring machine.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Squid

thanks for the redirect slab, what do you think of this one:

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/5.../On-Two-Wheels

CNC Clamp On Handlebar Raisers 35mm

Seems to clamp right on to the tubes and does not require drilling...ran a search but didn't see anyone with these yet on shawk
Attached Thumbnails GenMar universal pullback bar riser-cnc-clamp-handlebar-raisers-35mm.jpg  
Old 02-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
I have done this mod, and love it, having come from Helibars, which were also a bunch better than stock.

I used these risers:
http://www.rsiracing.com/product_inf...roducts_id=163
I used the 2" 15 degree.
And a bikemaster gp bend bar if I recall.

Stock lines will likely work, though it's tight and you'll need to disconnect the clutch line from its stay on the frame. Throttle cables are tight as well, and could stand to be lengthened, and I'll probably get around to that this summer. I had to weld a bit onto the steering stops and grind it down to get correct clearance for the bars on the tank, but that may not be an issue on a standard tank; I have an aftermarket oversize aluminum one.
You'll have to play around to get the fitment just right, and trim the fairing ears down, but it's totally worth it in my opinion. With a little suspension recalibration it kicked *** on my trip down to the mountains in Oregon and NorCal this past summer.

-R
Old 02-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Squid

o wow...thanks man that may be just what i'm looking for!

you wouldn't have a link to the bar you used would you?

or maybe a pic of what it looks like on your bike? i'm curious how much you had to trim on the fairing ear

imma order a pair right now haha
Old 02-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Superstock
Superstock

You can get the bar in stock at Seattle Cycle Center, at about 100th and Aurora. I can't SWEAR to the bend, but I think it's the GP or Superbike bend. After trimming the fairing, I then cut off about an 1.5" off of each bar end and ordered adapters from Throttlemeister to allow my throttlemeisters cruise control/bar ends to work on the tubular bar. Don't have any current pics of that.

Pop over to my flickr account and take a look...I'm rotten at getting the attachments working easily on here. Sorry

Pics of the bars
Old 02-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Back Marker

slabm7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DaNewKidd
thanks for the redirect slab, what do you think of this one:

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/5.../On-Two-Wheels

CNC Clamp On Handlebar Raisers 35mm

Seems to clamp right on to the tubes and does not require drilling...ran a search but didn't see anyone with these yet on shawk
I don't see why those wouldn't work but for that much you could pay for the entire mod with updating to stainless brake lines. I went with a 2" riser and superbike bend bars. I replaced the brake lines with stainless. I found the stock a little to short for my liking. They would of fit but it would of been quite a stretch. The throttle cable reaches easily. Don't be afraid of drilling the triple. Measure twice and drill once. It is still very solid and I have 6000 miles on this mod with no problems. I check the triple regularly for cracking and its fine. I'm 6'1 and this set up is just the right height. Very comfortable position.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Squid

sweet...thanks for the advice man, so those risers in your pics are the RSI mounts right? the letters are a little hard to see on the mounts

i live literally 5 min walking distance to seattle cycle center, imma go check out the bar today

if you live in seattle too we should ride sometimes man, always glad to meet a fellow hawk rider
Old 02-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Superstock
Superstock

Yup, those are the RSI's. They've been great. You'll have to take a leap of faith and do some measuring and drill the triple clamp, but if you have access to a drill press it's not bad. If you dont, it's still doable in a vice. I haven't been riding much lately except commuting every day to nursing school, so unfortunately, I don't get a ton of fun riding in lately. But could still meet up sometime.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Squid

hey ross, thanks for all your advice, i'd love to meet up and check out your setup. The weather has been very seattle-like so maybe when spring rolls around?

I actually just ordered a set of the RSI risers off fleabay, do you think the drilling is possible while the clamp is still on the bike? I don't have a drill press nor vice. For that matter, how hard would it be to take the triple clamp off the tree?
Old 02-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Superstock
Superstock

It's pretty easy to take off of the bike. I would recommend taking it somewhere it can be drilled on a drill press if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, as you don't want to bugger up your upper triple clamp if you can avoid it.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Squid

wolfgun is on a distinguished road
Genmar risers

I just got a set of the Genmar risers #X102. Genmar were happy to mill the radiussed area flat at no charge and did it really quick. You just need to ask them. It saved me from dicking it up.