General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Greetings from South Africa!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 11:43 AM
Squid

Barron is on a distinguished road
Greetings from South Africa!

Hi there everyone, and a big hello from Cape Town South Africa!

I became the proud owner of a Hawk last year August when I bought a '98 model with 39,000kms on the clock. From my extensive research since the purchase I’ve been led to believe it is in fact the fastest colour - RED.

I’ve been lurking this sight ever since and had to exercise restraint not to comment on any threads before i properly introduce myself.

It is my first "big bike" as I also own a 125 Honda scrambler for commuting and screwing around in the bush and wherever. I must say, having only the 125 to compare it to before it was wild ride!! It took me about 3 days to work up the courage to open her up in third, 2 weeks to do the same in second and I’m still not quite comfortable in 1st as no amount of weight shifting keeps the front on the ground! If it wasn’t for my relative maturity I’d be in a ditch in no time - the bike is strong!

The bike's stickers are not original (although I like the silver look) and the under seat unit is a (very neatly made) steel construction. Also, it has a full SCORCH system (a local exhaust company that compares to Yoshimura performance wise – checkout their site) which is nice and loud!

Since I’ve bought the bike, the only additions have been luggage. I bought a small-ish Kappa tank bag for the day trips and saw a GIVI monokey rack advertised locally that I snapped up. For this i bought a Kappa K53 box (huge but sooooo useful!). The Girlfriend and I both prefer 2-up with the box on - she gets a backrest and I get more space for my manhood! I also just ordered Oxford X50 panniers witch I test-fitted a few months back at a local store. - OH YE i plan on touring the country on this bike!

I use the bike daily for my commute to work (i stay 3km from wok lol), weekend blasts with the boys and I’ve even taken it long distance. Last year November I took the bike to Port Elizabeth (750km of beautiful coastal roads from Cape Town) to surprise my mom for her Bday. Again, I have nothing to compare it to but I was as comfy as could be! Upon returning to Cape Town, I almost turned around and did it all again! No pains, aches, nothing.

Since I bought the bike I’ve put on 8000kms without a single issue and although they were sold as Firestorms in this country, I kinda like referring to it as a Superhawk or "the HAWK". - you can tell which website I've been frequenting!

Anyways thanks with bearing with me through the intro and watch this space for more pics and updates!

Cheers

Jeán
Old 03-27-2014, 12:31 PM
Squid

1st few days

Just a couple of randoms...
Attached Thumbnails Greetings from South Africa!-img_6442.jpg   Greetings from South Africa!-img_6455.jpg   Greetings from South Africa!-img_6457.jpg  
Old 03-27-2014, 12:32 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Welcome and how about some pictures of your Super Hawk...
Old 03-27-2014, 12:33 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by oahu hawk
Welcome and how about some pictures of your Super Hawk...

Wow, you just beat me to it...bike looks very nice!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:34 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome, but someone misinformed you as to the fastest color. lol
Old 03-27-2014, 12:51 PM
Squid

More pics

Thanks for the welcome guys!

A few more scenic pics...
Attached Thumbnails Greetings from South Africa!-img_6458.jpg   Greetings from South Africa!-img_6574.jpg   Greetings from South Africa!-img_6604.jpg   Greetings from South Africa!-img_6577.jpg   Greetings from South Africa!-img_6906.jpg  

Old 03-27-2014, 01:00 PM
Squid

just a few more...

Table mountain and the bike in touring mode
Attached Thumbnails Greetings from South Africa!-img_6570.jpg   Greetings from South Africa!-img_6975.jpg   Greetings from South Africa!-img_7015.jpg   Greetings from South Africa!-img_7142.jpg   Greetings from South Africa!-img_7999.jpg  

Old 03-27-2014, 01:27 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Welcome! Nice bike. Those mountain pictures are absolutely stunning! Makes me want to visit just to ride there.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:18 PM
Superstock

sheldonsl is on a distinguished road
Where are the lions, giraffes, monkeys, etc? From what I remember of Tarzan's adventures, he was constantly besieged by them.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:10 PM
Back Marker

NH-Raptor is on a distinguished road
Beautiful country.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:36 PM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Jean

Great stuff & awesome pics.

SA has always been a country I want to visit - Love to see the 'Boks play a rugby game in Durban.

And don't let anyone bust ur ***** about the top case - function over form.

Good luck & stay safe.

This is mine

Take care
Rhino

Old 03-29-2014, 09:46 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
Welcome! Nice bike. Those mountain pictures are absolutely stunning! Makes me want to visit just to ride there.
Thanks Crux! I think Cape Town is pretty much as scenic as it gets for biking. A mountain range on the coast has this effect. Since I am new to biking and to Cape Town, the 1st ride with the guys over the mountain was unforgettable
Old 03-29-2014, 10:17 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by sheldonsl
Where are the lions, giraffes, monkeys, etc? From what I remember of Tarzan's adventures, he was constantly besieged by them.
As long as you keep the front lawn trimmed and the fires lit you should be fine
Old 03-29-2014, 10:47 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by nnjhawk02
Jean

Great stuff & awesome pics.

SA has always been a country I want to visit - Love to see the 'Boks play a rugby game in Durban.

And don't let anyone bust ur ***** about the top case - function over form.

Good luck & stay safe.

This is mine

Take care
Rhino

Thanks man,

Your bike looks like its setup to take the long way round. Have you ever had the need for more luggage?

It must be awesome to have a country as vast as the US of A to explore!

It's the best feeling to start the bike early in the morning knowing the end destination is far far away!

Cheers
Old 03-29-2014, 11:16 AM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Barron

Cheers
Name:  africa_zps1bbfa7dd.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  89.2 KB

Just sayin'

Nice pics, welcome! My setup is also quite similar. 45l GIVI topcase for me.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:01 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Roads? Just askin'.

And welcome Barron.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:38 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Hi there everyone, and a big hello from Cape Town South Africa!

Uh Blue is fastest WOW thought everyone knew that. Having visited your country I can vouch for the roads and scenery. Have been charged by elephants numerous times, lions walking next to our vehicle (kruger) hippos munching and bathing outside our room (bakabung) and so forth there are plenty of critters about. When I rode a Super Blackbird I belonged to a club based out of SA. Awesome people! Do a search on riders tips here and be safe!

I became the proud owner of a Hawk last year August when I bought a '98 model with 39,000kms on the clock. From my extensive research since the purchase I’ve been led to believe it is in fact the fastest colour - RED.

I’ve been lurking this sight ever since and had to exercise restraint not to comment on any threads before i properly introduce myself.

It is my first "big bike" as I also own a 125 Honda scrambler for commuting and screwing around in the bush and wherever. I must say, having only the 125 to compare it to before it was wild ride!! It took me about 3 days to work up the courage to open her up in third, 2 weeks to do the same in second and I’m still not quite comfortable in 1st as no amount of weight shifting keeps the front on the ground! If it wasn’t for my relative maturity I’d be in a ditch in no time - the bike is strong!

The bike's stickers are not original (although I like the silver look) and the under seat unit is a (very neatly made) steel construction. Also, it has a full SCORCH system (a local exhaust company that compares to Yoshimura performance wise – checkout their site) which is nice and loud!

Since I’ve bought the bike, the only additions have been luggage. I bought a small-ish Kappa tank bag for the day trips and saw a GIVI monokey rack advertised locally that I snapped up. For this i bought a Kappa K53 box (huge but sooooo useful!). The Girlfriend and I both prefer 2-up with the box on - she gets a backrest and I get more space for my manhood! I also just ordered Oxford X50 panniers witch I test-fitted a few months back at a local store. - OH YE i plan on touring the country on this bike!

I use the bike daily for my commute to work (i stay 3km from wok lol), weekend blasts with the boys and I’ve even taken it long distance. Last year November I took the bike to Port Elizabeth (750km of beautiful coastal roads from Cape Town) to surprise my mom for her Bday. Again, I have nothing to compare it to but I was as comfy as could be! Upon returning to Cape Town, I almost turned around and did it all again! No pains, aches, nothing.

Since I bought the bike I’ve put on 8000kms without a single issue and although they were sold as Firestorms in this country, I kinda like referring to it as a Superhawk or "the HAWK". - you can tell which website I've been frequenting!

Anyways thanks with bearing with me through the intro and watch this space for more pics and updates!

Cheers

Jeán
Old 03-29-2014, 05:27 PM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks man,

Your bike looks like its setup to take the long way round. Have you ever had the need for more luggage?

It's the best feeling to start the bike early in the morning knowing the end destination is far far away!

Cheers
Jean

Yes - I used to use a Eclipse seat pack & had soft luggage (didn't hold much) - sold everything. Now my setup is a new magnetic tank bag & a large drybag, of course along with the Givi.

Drybag - Dry Pak Waterproof Duffel - 110L Green

I plan to do some touring this Spring, Summer & Fall.

And the USA does have many great areas to explore, but not enough Great rugby.

Keep the rubber side down