General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Greeting Superhawk Riders

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Squid

Grasshopper is on a distinguished road
Greetings Superhawk Riders

My name is Nick and I'm from the Chicagoland area. I often frequent Chicagolandsportbikes.com. I'm an avid motorcyclist and racer. I've raced SVs for the last 9 years, I'm a trackday coach with sportbiketracktime.com, I race on the ice, flat track and ride off road quite often to.

I'm here because I want your opinion on buying a Superhawk and any advice or criticism you might have.

Last edited by Grasshopper; 05-20-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Squid

The guy I'm buying the superhawk off of wants 2500 for it. He originally wanted 2850 for it but I talked him down. It's a 99 with 24k on the clock. He claims the chain and sprockets were replaced along with a valve clearance check at 19k. I'd like to use this bike for street duty and a couple long sport tour rides down to the appalachian mountains this summer. I think its a good deal but want some current owners opinions first. Thanks for any responses in advance.

Here is the guys quote and the bike is adult owned and seams to be well taken care of.

Nick, the chain and sprockets where changed at 19,500 miles, valve clearances where checked at that time by a dealer in michigan. the guy that sold me the bike showed me the receipts. I would say its gonna need a battery soon, also a set of rear brakes they are getting thin. other than that its good to go. I rode the bike to virginia beach and deals gap before I parked it in garage in 08. I drained the fuel and put on trickle charger. added a few gallons and it started right up. This has been a great bike, NO PROBLEMS!!!!! I bought a harley thats why I am not riding it.
Name:  1-1.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  69.3 KB

Name:  2-2.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  60.4 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  61.6 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  48.9 KB

Last edited by Grasshopper; 05-17-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:05 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Common problems are Cam Chain Tensioners and Regulator/Rectifier... If the CCT's are swapped at regular intervalls for OEM ones or swapped for manual one's they become a non issue... The R/R is prone to failure, swap for a newer generation with fins or an Yamaha R* R/R and that as well becomes an non-issue... Other than that it's the standard maintainance and condition that decides... Price seems reasonable...

Flaws that I and others have adressed by small adjustments are plentiful, but none of them are a dealbreaker, the VTR is a much more allround bike than the SV, but share some similar traits...
Old 05-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Squid

I can handle the cct and regulator. How about suspension? I heard I can upgrade to an F4I shock. And I was thinking race tech internals in he front forks with some nice heavy oil for hard riding.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Yeah, front forks are good for a 100 lbs rider or so, the rear shock around 200... Dunno how they figured that out, but it's not right...

Also brakes are not that good... And if you like me are around 200, then the front fork flexes a bit too much...

Either get a fork brace and swap the internals of the fork like you mentioned and swap the calipers and M/C for various CBR parts... Or swap out the entire fork for a better one... The rear shock is either aftermarket or a modified F4i shock... Thera are no known model that will just bolt on so far...

Once you have that done, stop tinkering, put the tools down and step away...

Or you end up like me and the others in the OCMD club...
Old 05-19-2010, 07:26 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Greetings Grasshopper. W/ no signs of an off, it looks like a good deal to me. DO IT!!!!! You'll love the VTR as a sport-tourer. I can muster about 6 hours till my bum protests. I put a pair of taller bars on to help the wrists a little.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:37 AM
Squid

Thanks a lot guys. I'm looking forward to riding this bike. I'm going to get it after work tonight. I tried to go get it Monday night but I got 80 miles south of my house and the nut backed out on the alternator pully of my van and my serpentine belt came off. Set me back 250 bucks for the tow and belt but I got the van back going with some locktight on that nut now. Going to get her tonight.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:47 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like a good deal to me.

As was said, suspension is a weak point. You have to kind of "ride around" the flaws if you leave it stock. Just pick a line early and stay smooth on the brakes and it does fine. Lots of fun to throw into turns late and just power out.

Solid bike. Mine lasted 60,000 hard miles until I low-sided it into a tree.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:57 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
heck, I've wrecked mine on the track twice now and it's still running.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Squid

Picked up the Superhawk last night and rode it to work today. Nice bike, the tires are junk so I'll slap some newer tires on it this and the clutch and brakes need to be bled. It does shift a little clunky between 1st and 2nd but from what I've read on here that's normal. I was able to find a sweet spot a couple times where it doesn't clunk barely at all but it will take some getting used to. Besides that the thing feels and rides nice. I'm no newbie to a vtwins power delivery but this will be a perfect street bike for me. I'll keep the 2 SVs for the track and the Superhawk for my tour / daily commuter. It has newer chain and sprockets and the guy I bought it off of did the R / R swap and cam chain tensioner swap. The poor guy shed a tear last night giving selling it to me for 2500.

The agenda for tonight is to change the oil / filter, slap some decent Pilot powers on it and bleed the brakes. This weekend will be her mayden voyage.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:11 AM
SuperBike

Just be careful on it Nick. Since it's yellow, it'll be the fastest of the bunch.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Squid

It will be painted Black over the winter. The only part I don't like about the bike is the canary yellow.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:57 AM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

SPRHK is an unknown quantity at this point
EVERYONE knows RED is the fastest color!!! welcome aboard Grasshopper. LOL that is my nickname at the track! Doing my first STT day at Monticello NY next weekend.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:53 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
It will be painted Black over the winter. The only part I don't like about the bike is the canary yellow.
Look again when it has been freshly cleaned and in bright light. It's more of a pearl yellow than canary.

Besides black will absorb more photons making the bike heavier and slower
Old 05-20-2010, 01:19 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by lazn
Look again when it has been freshly cleaned and in bright light. It's more of a pearl yellow than canary.

Besides black will absorb more photons making the bike heavier and slower
Lazn is 100% correct, so quit hatin'!
Old 05-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Squid

Here's a few pictures from Gingerman this past Sunday. I took my girlfreind out 2 up and she loved it.

Name:  prpvCASYLT7F.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  68.5 KB

Name:  prpvCATODB9J.jpg
Size:  53.5 KB

Name:  prpvCAGYAR1F.jpg
Size:  47.5 KB

Name:  prpvCA6WEB06.jpg
Size:  60.5 KB

Name:  prpvCA2SE8V5.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  74.9 KB
Old 05-20-2010, 02:53 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
I'm a CLSB'r too. U doin the F4t?

Anyway, I've turned my VTR into a sport tourer. Instead of Pilots, take a look at the Conti Sport Attk for the front & Road Attk for the rear. For some reason they work great on a VTR and get much better mileage. Over the last 10+ years I've run all sorts of rubber on my VTR and the Contis definitely seem the best but I'm too old to be a peg scrapper anymore. The fact that the VR/R and CCT (APE's?) are done means really only the suspension & brakes need attention (though a Sargent saddle is a BIG improvement), and the OE brakes are NOT too bad with SS lines and EBC HH in the front and SBS low friction in the rear. I run a 00 RC51 MC & 02 CBR600f4i calipers (which need to be trimmed a bit to fit) and a fork brace. Greg (hawkster) did my fork dampening. Also try Mobil 1 15W-50 or Rotella-T Syn 10W-40 (which seems to help the shifting but hi rev shifts from 1 to 2 should be avoided and should be made deliberately), and a Purolator PL14612 syn media filter is by far better than OE (though the chin fairing may need to be trimmed a bit for clearance, and a fair bit more to use the longer PL14620).

Picked up the Superhawk last night and rode it to work today. Nice bike, the tires are junk so I'll slap some newer tires on it this and the clutch and brakes need to be bled. It does shift a little clunky between 1st and 2nd but from what I've read on here that's normal. I was able to find a sweet spot a couple times where it doesn't clunk barely at all but it will take some getting used to. Besides that the thing feels and rides nice. I'm no newbie to a vtwins power delivery but this will be a perfect street bike for me. I'll keep the 2 SVs for the track and the Superhawk for my tour / daily commuter. It has newer chain and sprockets and the guy I bought it off of did the R / R swap and cam chain tensioner swap. The poor guy shed a tear last night giving selling it to me for 2500.

The agenda for tonight is to change the oil / filter, slap some decent Pilot powers on it and bleed the brakes. This weekend will be her mayden voyage.

Last edited by skokievtr; 05-20-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Squid

I'm considering doing the Flat 4. I think Justin scheduled it for June 26th and 27th. Thanks for all the tips. I put new rubber on it last night and changed the oil. Now I just have to bleed the brakes and and clutch. The fluid looks a little too dark.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:16 AM
SuperBike

Yep....since yellow bikes go faster, they have to be able to stop better. :-D