General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Grandma bit me at "the Dragon"

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 09:59 PM
SuperSport

Rollin20z is on a distinguished road
Grandma bit me at "the Dragon"

Got a wild hair today and said what the heck , felt like going down to take a spin on the Dragons Tails. Went down early afternoon and all was good they had a couple,bikes down earlier before I got there. I believe 1 cruiser which said a sportbike ran him off the road and I believe the other was a sport that just blew a turn. Few others went in the ditches today also but that's a normal day at the Dragon. My first run down to the store went well, got a drink had a smoke and some chips and chatted a bit. Went to head back up to the overlook, pulled out of store headed up the hill, went into the first left hander and "HOLY ****" here's a little SUV popping around the corner all the way over the double yellow half in my lane, well with all the time you have to think and act in a situation like that(almost a whole second) I did manage to get it straight up and almost out of her way. You know that little stamped writing on a headlight? I was close enough to read it. But all in all as I said "almost out of her way" missed everything except her mirror. Clipped my mirror on my bike(didn't even mark it) and my shoulder(got a nice knot on it now). But I did get turned around and headed back down to store to try and find out who wanted me as a hood ornament. Looked around and thought whoever it was hauled butt but as I was just standing there thinking about what almost just happened this little older lady with probably her daughter and ponytail(works at DG Store) came walking up and she asked if I was the biker that hit her mirror? At first I thought it was gonna get nasty but after I said yes and I'm fine now but I'm sure tomorrow morning will be a different story. She got the shaking ,crying honestly sorry thing going. Even though I know it could have been a whole lot worse I almost felt sorry for the lady because she will probably need therapy the way she was acting thinking she had just ran over somebody(well sorta). She went on , daughter drove away(lady shaking too much to drive) I climbed on and decided to try that ride again. Well this time it went a lot better!! Made it home with no more van,suv,mirrors in my way. Got a good ole know there now and the ben-gay is kicking like a nursing home in here now. But in the end it just goes to show you that no matter how careful you are or no matter what you do to try and avoid danger that it is always there and just a split second away and can literally has the power to change your life forever. In a way I got the biggest dose of that in feb when my wife was diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor that cannot be cured and all we can do is try to control it as long as we can and enjoy the time we have. And as I think back on today I feel a little guilty because I wonder what my wife would have done if something else would have happened today, because I am the only one up with all the meds,Dr's,transportation,care and everything else with her situation.

Ok, well I just needed to vent that off my chest a little, as that is something she doesn't need to know and add to her list of worries & stresses.
Be careful & ride smart out there ladies & gentlemen.....

Bill

Last edited by Rollin20z; 06-28-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:07 PM
Back Marker

Arctic Fire is on a distinguished road
Dude! close call! glad your alright. I have had many a Rage Ride back to find someone that did something to me and i think 4/5 times I Don't get to go off (yelling) because its some lady, a teenager or an old man with veterans plates.. I end up apologizing to them half the time. But I do get a food feeling knowing that they are effected by it.. tears or not. it will make them a better driver in the end!
Old 06-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Super Byrd
Superstock

Byrdman is on a distinguished road
yea really glad your okay. Never had anything like that happen to me and i hope it stays that way. I'm really sorry to hear that about your wife too, I hope ya'll enjoy everyday together.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:21 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Good story for everyone to hear 20z. I've been down and know just how quick things like that happen. I think the people responsible should hear a piece of your mind. They could've potentially ended your life. I see the videos on youtube of the trucks going across the line. There should be as many tickets written to those people, as there are to the motorcycle community.

On a heavier note, real sorry to hear of your wife. A long time friend of our family was recently diagnosed with cancer. I wish you both the best.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:51 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Wow, close call - glad that you made it out with only minor scratches.

I was hit by 'grandma' way back in my youth and the outcome wasn't so nice. Ride with caution and save the limit testing for the track, IMO.

Sorry about your wife - all the best to you both.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
that lady still needed the good ole what for. extreamly sorry about your wife. i lost my dad last month to that sorry bitch cancer.enjoy your time together and prayers sent.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:39 AM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
My sister is fighting that battle bro. Tightens my throat to think of what you're going through. All the best my friend. I had someone hit me from behind at a stop light last year and bail. Totalled the bike but all of my gear saved my life. On the bright side it put me on a Hawk and i love that bike like its my kid!!! Good luck R20z
Old 06-28-2009, 08:59 AM
SuperSport

Thanks guys..appreciate all the kind words. Feels good to just be able to vent and not have someone worried to death every time I leave on the bike about what might happen. As she worries enough as it is but if she knew this happened she would be really a nervous wreck until I got back and I do not want that. Because even now she does worry but she also see's it's something I love to do and she said she would never hold me back from doing something I love. And if she see's it's been a rough day or I'm just stressing a little too much she will say go for a ride,go to the dragon just get out a ride and relax. She knows it's my way of clearing my head and sorta not worrying about anything at least for a little while and she has been great about that. She even tells me to go and I tell her I can't cause I got too much to do and she'll say it can wait lifes too short go.

And you know I have thought about these things from both sides and you do get a totally different outlook on things when you ride a bike. Cause I remember before I got one I'm sure I was probably a cager being talked about on forums like this. When you don't ride you don't think about the little things you do or mistakes you make that can change someone's life in a second, and I no doubt I have done some of those things. I had a bad outlook towards bikes thinking they thought they were special and were like a crosswalk where you had to stop for them. but I will say that came from 99% Hardley riders thinking they were the ****(still don't care for most of them for the same reason). Can't remember how many I almost ran over when I lived in Myrtle Beach during bike week just cutting out in front of you or just sitting stopped in the middle of the road talking with someone on the curb. Guess I will always have that outlook towards a Hardley. Gonna get me a bumper sticker that say's "I'd rather push a Honda Than ride a Harley" And see how many dirty looks or fingers I get.

Anyways for you all riding today be safe and keep that extra eye out for the other person and ride safe. My damn shoulder hurts like a BIOTCH, so I guess I'll be catching up on a little DVR..............................
Old 06-28-2009, 04:26 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

5150 is on a distinguished road
good to see you are ok.

A suggestion from me. you may not be into this sort of thing but i will mention it just in case.

Dr. hulda Clark. writes and awesome book on her finding for cancers and suggestions for alternative treatment to chemo and such.

http://www.relfe.com/hulda_clark.html

it is a very interesting read. both of her books. to me the idea makes alot of sense when you look at the life cycles on the cellular level of our physiology.

God Bless you both.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Back Marker

tbartley is on a distinguished road
How much time do we have.......not much. And the older ya get, the quicker it goes by. Young folks don't realize that until they get older. Enjoy the time you do have. Sorry to hear about the wife, R20z. My best to you and yours.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Bill,
glad your ok mate. That was a good move NOT coming unglued at the lady driver. I'm sure she had a valuable lesson today.
Your wife will be in my prayers.. God bless
Steve
Old 06-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Squid

justscoutin is on a distinguished road
glad you didn't get hurt worse. its stuff like that and hearing stories of other riders that keep me from going up there to ride. just too busy for me. hopefully it wont take but a few days to quit hurting!
Old 06-29-2009, 05:32 AM
SuperSport

5150 Thanks I think I will pick them up to check out. Never know and def. couldn't hurt, would do anything for whatever extra I can find.
Yeah I know Tyronne isn't it the truth. Didn't notice the years going by this quick when I was 18 wanting 21 so badly.
Gotcha mate and yeah I'm sure the poor lady at least will remember that a while because she was pretty shaken up.
scout you know to be honest I have been up there numerous times and that was the first time I ever even had a close call as that, usually have more just running to wally world in town than ever at the dragon where you would expect it at.

Ok, shoulder is feeling good now so after I get back from a Dr visit and taking my wife out to lunch wherever she wants(as always) and any shopping she wants to do I might just have to saddle up for a spin. Might run out to the Harbour Freight store and look at their powder coat ovens and see if they have any big enough to do a wheel in. Sucks cause the one they have is like 18X18X18 and you need like 18 1/8"- 18 1/4" for a wheel

Ride Safe Fellows and keep those extra senses working!!!
Old 06-29-2009, 06:17 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
First off, sorry for your wife's problem with cancer. That's a big one that you two have to bear. I hope you are able to keep things in check & keep her healthy.

Keep doing the fun rides. Gotta have some of your own time with the stuff you two are going through.

I tend to ride late apexes near the centerline on righthand turns, but last time I was at the Gap (earlier this month) I tried to stay more to the center & right of the lane on the blind turns.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:31 AM
SuperSport

Ok, well is mostly good now, only sore to the touch but other than that it's good. Did about 300 miles yesterday going out couple counties over to pay a ticket . But was a good ride, ended up buying a bead breaker to do tires with so no more cussing the bead loose, bought another jacket but didn't get to look at the PC oven. Maybe tomorrow, got some other stuff to get done today with the wifey.

And I guess I shouldn't complain as I heard on the news that 3 riders went down saturday on the dragon and 1 didn't make it. Just reinforces that old saying "Live for today, because tomorrow is never promised"

Keep safe fellows!