General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related
View Poll Results: Have you gone down? What side?
Left side.
46.01%
Right side.
33.74%
Ass over tea kettle.
23.31%
Backflip.
3.68%
Haven't gone down....yet.
26.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Gone Down?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Squid

Rock Storm is on a distinguished road
I voted *** over tea kettle. Borrowed my friends V45 Magna and hit some loose gravel -then the curb launched bike and I into the woods. He sold me the bike, I did the repairs and used it for a few years after. That was about twenty years ago. Haven't been down since.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Squid

khonnsu is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BlackHawk996
i voted left side because i was turning around on a dirtroad at 3mph and my front tire hit a rock and caused my front wheel to go sharpleft and the bike just dropped. i was standing over the bike with my hand still on the throttle grip going this is then i picked up the bike and i swear i heard some one playing the worlds smallest

bwahahaha!

Originally Posted by Gizzmo_jr
17 years old, pa's old CB450 hit a wicked crack on the highway induced a speed wobble. Seconds later a tank slapper so I got off the death ride, as it veered to a ditch with a telephone poll. Bike decided the left side was the side it wanted to lie down on. Painful memories of how I turned out, I kept the helmet as a reminder. Everything else is gone. Gravel shoulders at 100km/h hurt something fierce.
that runs chills up my spine. induced speed wobble... scary ><

Last edited by khonnsu; 06-11-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:01 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jserio
You guys are killing me...

Captain, You should never get back on a motorcycle again OR at least get paid for it because you must be an entertaining S.O.B....
The Captain is exactly why we ride Superhawks

It don't get better - it gets deeper. The more you work with the machine the better it is to you. It's a monster motor that sits on a nimble frame.

The Cap has built more than one and crashed a few. It takes big legs for that. And big ***** to stay with the sport.

Last edited by nuhawk; 06-11-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:40 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
How about one for "I really can't remember **** about it"

I ache to ride again. Getting closer.

Doug, it's good to see you back!
Old 06-12-2008, 08:42 AM
RIP Zy! You will always be in our hearts.
SuperSport

Blue Ridge Boy is on a distinguished road
Where's the "fly off a cliff" option? If you're going to make a poll...make sure you think of all of us dumbasses.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:50 AM
SuperBike

Or, if you're like Jorge Lorenzo, you need "all of the above".
Old 06-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Back Marker

NovaWildcat08
Low speed low side. Doin 30 around a 15mph turn with gravel.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:59 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Thanks Doug! Yeah I went *** over teakettle and had a "What day is it where the f%$@ am I?" for about a half hour...on a mountainbike lol!
Old 06-12-2008, 07:19 PM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
'72 dropped cousins DT? 175 Yamaha in gravel pit. Think left side...bent bars...no injury
'03 lowside right on old beemer. Too fast on entrance ramp & gravel again. trashe tank and bars. Dislocated ankle & knee. 9 months to stop limping.
'06 drop beemer on right side after I got hit from behind starting out from a red light. Was riding interference for my daughter while she learned to clutch so she didn't get whacked if she stalled. She stalled. Beemer does a 2nd gear wheelie at 5mph? I get up off the ground (right again) and ask the young girl in the Lumina "did you just ******' hit me?" Front of her car shows that she's been there before. No damage.
'08 grab too much front brake during a 15 mph U turn on my Hawk. Wow, never had hydraulics before... or discs! DOwn on left side, shoulder plant. Multiple broken colarbone. Scratched on Hawk.
'08 Last Sunday. Collarbone healed. Riding 5 blocks to a cookout at my daughters. Helmet only, no jacket. My son wheelies from a stop sign and doesn't get down fast enough to stop. Puts his TL 1000 left fairing and radiator into my right can. Down again on right. Rash and bruises on shoulder, elbow, love handle and knee. Staintune crumpled, peg broken, seat plastic cracked. His bike much worse, but he's hurt about the same. Always a lesson to learn!
Old 06-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Back Marker

jserio is on a distinguished road
To answer Springbubba's question I think we mostly go down on the left because the brakes are on the right. When you have your right foot on the peddle brake you put your left foot on the ground. My 2 cents worth anyway.

Joe
Old 06-12-2008, 09:29 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by peterpanic
'72 dropped cousins DT? 175 Yamaha
Pre '74 it would have been a CT175. 1973 CT3-175 was my first bike. I paid $750 for it brand new. Gassed it up for 32.9 cents per gallon- from bone dry to a full tank for sixty cents.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Uhhhhh..huh.huh..Member..
Superstock

Springbubba is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jserio
To answer Springbubba's question I think we mostly go down on the left because the brakes are on the right. When you have your right foot on the peddle brake you put your left foot on the ground. My 2 cents worth anyway.

Joe
Seems to make sense. The moral of this story seems to be, we are our own worst enemies much of the time. When I was younger, in Idaho, I NEVER wore a helmet, much less any other gear. I was not a smart teenager. These days I rarely get on the bike without ALL of my gear.

I hope the folks out there who don't wear much gear, learn something from this thread!

Thanks for sharing all of your experiences with everyone!
Old 06-12-2008, 11:36 PM
MotoGP

Here's one that didn't make the survey but I done most of the others. The straight in hit. I had just done the upgrade to 6 pots and this stupid MF pulls out in front of me and stops. This is the same hit that took Rand out for fifteen months but his was from the RE and it really doesn't make a difference. You get a stupid cager in front of you doing stupid **** this is what happens.

ATGATT

Besides that, buy good insurance.
Attached Thumbnails Gone Down?-pic00003.jpg   Gone Down?-pic00001.jpg  
Old 06-13-2008, 12:40 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Both mine were right side lowsides at the track. One under braking & one under acceleration. Both happened while trying to catch up to faster, better riders. Both occurred during the last session of the day. Got a broken shoulder from one and a broken wrist from the other.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:42 AM
SuperBike

I had a bit more momentum... I know, I've posted this before.

I thought I had good insurance, through the school district. But my crash happened on September 23 under one policy and the policy changed on October 1st. There was no clause written for the transition, so I got to pay the max out of pocket under 2 policies. I ended up paying close to half the total bill out of pocket. Gotta love insurance companies.

I would have been back on a long time ago, except for the ongoing battle with the non-motorcyclist. She tried again last night to stop me. I can't ask her to understand. I can only ignore the pleas and stand my ground..
Old 06-13-2008, 10:20 AM
Squid

Smileyhawk is on a distinguished road
Hit a patch of black ice on the exit of a blind corner on the way to work one morning. I knew the road well, but is was a funny time in spring when we would get a little rain, then clear skies (with freezing nights). I picked the bike up, rode to work, and rode home after. The WORST part, was when I lifted the bike up and I slipped on the pavement and dropped it on the right side for a few extra scratches. I still haven't forgiven myself for that bonehead manuver.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Squid

Smileyhawk is on a distinguished road
Left side.

Hit a patch of black ice on the exit of a blind corner on the way to work one morning. I knew the road well, but is was a funny time in spring when we would get a little rain, then clear skies (with freezing nights). I picked the bike up, rode to work, and rode home after. The WORST part, was when I lifted the bike up and I slipped on the pavement and dropped it on the right side for a few extra scratches. I still haven't forgiven myself for that bonehead manuver.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Squid

Seratt is on a distinguished road
Only time I've been down as on an old 1980 cb125. I was like 14 at the time.

It was wet, and I decided to jump something. Slid for about 40 feet or so. Bike wasn't scratched, just the right peg. Got up and rode off.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:00 AM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Smileyhawk
Left side.

Thats hilarious! Did anybody see you? That would make it even better. I bet plenty of people did see you but kept driving.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:11 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
I took a knife to a gunfight.

I had a slightly built R 100 S during the mid eighties and was chasing a race prepped Kawi Z1. As he strolled away from me at about 115 I wicked it up to wot and got a tank slapper for my effort. Broken wrist and road rash where the asphalt chewed through the gear and I got a dose of religion as I looked at my trashed full coverage helmet and tattered gear.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Back Marker

lhoward1134 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RCVTR

It looks like the left side radiator made it. At least the other stuff should have been easy to find.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Squid

rhorsley is on a distinguished road
I checked *** over tea kettle.

First time was Summer 1988. Girlfriend on the back doing 70+ in #1 Lane on w/b I-10 crossing under I-605. Late afternoon sun in my face, so I couldn't see into the shadow under the I-605 crossover. Got into the shadow and hit the SOB parked in my lane with a flat tire. Never hit the brakes. I totalled the car and the bike. I woke up about 200 feet away with some road rash and more blood than I had ever seen coming from my nose This was 1988, before California had helmet laws. I only had one helmet, so she wore it when we rode. I shouldn't have lived, but I went home from the emergency room with 3 stitches in the back of my head (and every muscle in my body aching). She was in the hospital for 10 days and nearly lost her left leg. For some reason she broke up with me after that...

Second time was two weeks ago in the parking lot at work. I had backed into a parking stall and then forgot my Kryptonite front disc lock. The lock did it's job and I fell over before I could figure out WTF was wrong. Moron!
Old 06-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Back Marker

jserio is on a distinguished road
I just love reading a passage in this thread that starts off " The first time". It make me all warm and fuzzy inside.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:38 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road

**** YEAH!!! Now we're talkin! That's good but I think I had a little MORE momentum and I think I've got you beat. Ripped mine in half...also a repost
Attached Thumbnails Gone Down?-wreck1.jpg   Gone Down?-wreck2.jpg  

Last edited by captainchaos; 06-13-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Back Marker

lhoward1134 is on a distinguished road

It looks like the left side radiator made it. At least the other stuff should have been easy to find.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:50 PM
MotoGP

She tried again last night to stop me. I can't ask her to understand. I can only ignore the pleas and stand my ground..
All of us learn something every time it happens. They never will. With price of fuel there are thousands more of us than last year. It's astounding around here.

Put the cagers on the bus and give the roads to us!

Happy Father's Day everybody!
Old 06-13-2008, 06:10 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Springbubba
So why would we go down on the left side 2 to 1 over the right side?
I'm guessing left-crashers just run out of road. Potential right-crashers just go over in the other lane & either don't crash or hit something head-on (so they're not around to take the poll.) Sobering thought.

Last edited by L8RGYZ; 06-13-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:55 PM
MotoGP

I think it depends on "how much" you are a righty or lefty. I think the closer you are to ambidextrous the better road racer you will be.

You have to get your *** off the bike equally in both directions to have equal success in each turn.

When Mike crashed hard in Florida last year and tore up his legs he posted a video of it here. It was lost in the server crash but I remember watching it.

I used to look at film for pro football teams and the other guy doing doc and eval of weapons systems.

I look for little things and I go back and forth a lot.

As soon as Mike went through the first few turns I thought to myself - OMG - it will be in a right. A few seconds later the bike chucked Mike, did one of those ugly spinning pirouettes and body-slammed down on his ankles.

This guy is an experienced racer. One of the better ones here.

It could have been a number of things, tires, debris on the track, a slight wiggle in the topography but the thing that was most obvious to me was his body position was unequal in left to right comparisons.

This is one reason why track days are important for people who never expect to achieve Mike's level on the racetrack but want to be better, more competent riders on the street. You're not as good at the lefts or the rights and it's important to know.

That's why I love my Superhawk. I'm nearly ambidextrous and when Chas was born he was a mess. He would eat right, shot skeet left, batted right, kicked a soccer ball left. One day he would write right - the next day left.

All that's settled down now that he's older but his skills are very well balanced on the bikes.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:36 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Thanks to captainchaos we know how thick the frame walls are.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Squid

Unclutchable is on a distinguished road
Where's the "D. All of the above" option?

Quick Reply: Gone Down?