General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related
View Poll Results: Have you gone down? What side?
Left side.
46.01%
Right side.
33.74%
Ass over tea kettle.
23.31%
Backflip.
3.68%
Haven't gone down....yet.
26.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Gone Down?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Uhhhhh..huh.huh..Member..
Superstock

Springbubba is on a distinguished road
Gone Down?

Have you gone down? Why did you go down? Which side? Is it true that most laydowns are on the left side?

I went down on the left side, of course. It was 1991, I was 15 years old, on my step dads 1985 Shadow 1100. Turned into a gravel driveway way to fast. Insurance paid to fix it up, so I did not get beat. I hope that was the last time!
Old 06-10-2008, 08:14 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Damn I forgot to check "backflip" too. Do I win anything for checking off all of the first four?
Old 06-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Squid

khonnsu is on a distinguished road
twice now, once as a passenger when the oil drain plug came loose while doubling and slicked the back tire with oil and the driver lost it...

once i rear ended a vehicle being stupid in heavy traffic... couldn't hold the line on a corner and went into next lane and occupant >< no damage to their vehicle but i was definitely beat!

i am very grateful (and very very, even shamefully lucky) to have lost the death defying impulsiveness of youth.

now holding all sorts of class of licenses to drive pretty much anything on wheels or tracks ;P no accidents in ~ 15 years now.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:16 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

And how come there was nowhere to check for rear ending a pickup truck and t-boning a spinning out of control taurus station wagon?
Old 06-10-2008, 08:17 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Okay it's past my bedtime...
Old 06-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Squid

omniouslink is on a distinguished road
been down more than I care to remember. broken a bunch of painful things. and I have difficulty at the airports... But I sure can do some wheelies!
Old 06-10-2008, 08:25 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Three times on the left side...

1. 1980 ish on an old CB
2. 2000 VTR dropped her the parking garage (does that count)
3. last summer on the SuperMoto trying a new front tire out.
Funny i can drag a right knee, but have never got the left knee down. No i wonder if that is a mental block....
Old 06-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by captainchaos
t-boning a spinning out of control taurus station wagon?
Where is the tank cam when we need it?
Old 06-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Squid

Streaky is on a distinguished road
Yea, I vote to change the poll to include a vote on:

- wrecked both sides, or more times than I care to remember
Old 06-10-2008, 08:37 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
20 years ago on my CB700SC Nighthawk coming home from work with my leather jacket bungeed on the seat.
On my favorite transition road (I-5 s to 55 s Santa Ana, its since been straightened out) a right-left-right, hit diesel or something while hanging off in the left. Lost rear, shut throttle and regained the rear, but now too hot for the last right. Went head on into the curb and a face plant. Rode it home.

Broken bikini faring and speedo. Thank god for full face helmets.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Hawk Newbie
Back Marker

supermonie is on a distinguished road
The first day I took thee bike home it started pouring rain out. Sucked but it happens.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:45 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
LEFT SIDE!!!

April 6th, 2008... remember it all to well... (still catch that vision in my head from time to time)...

Went into headshake over hilltop... 2/10ths of a mile slide, LOTS of road rash.

+ a couple of parking lot bloopers at given times, but nothing i would count.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:42 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Both sides I don't discriminate. I have the oppisite problem Thumper I'm much better at lefts, I still get my knee down on rights but my form's not as good.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:00 PM
Back Marker

jserio is on a distinguished road
You guys are killing me...

Captain, You should never get back on a motorcycle again OR at least get paid for it because you must be an entertaining S.O.B....
Old 06-11-2008, 02:48 AM
Superstock

Verne
Let's just say I have more metal in me than the bike does.

Verne
Old 06-11-2008, 04:18 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Twice...

First, torqued over a wheelie.. REAL fast!.. only damage: Left fairing scratched (not broke), left slip on scratched, and left bar end scratched... oh, and a peperoni sized scrape on my left shin, and a sore right ankle.

Second, on a cold tire..... Just starting out in a Hooters parking lot, to the right.... That one hurt the worst. Ankle and leg were sore, broke throttle tube, right clip on, right bar end, front brake lever, and scrathed the right side up... not to mention the embarassment.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:28 AM
Back Marker

Tom Blum is on a distinguished road
I high sided on a left hand turn. too fast and light rain. Stupid lapse, like most all crashes.

The bike rotated 270 degrees, ending upside down against a guard rail. I was spit off and ended up halfway under the guard rail (head and shoulders).

I reported it as *** over tea kettle. Maybe should be left??

Tom
Old 06-11-2008, 04:45 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superhawk22
I have the oppisite problem Thumper I'm much better at lefts, I still get my knee down on rights but my form's not as good.
Me too, I can scrape all kinds of stuff on the left side of the bike without blinking, but the right always makes me pucker a little more.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:03 AM
Back Marker

lhoward1134 is on a distinguished road
First day on my bike I thought it'd be a good idea to go 110 mph. Didn't make the curve ( I'm sure I could do the same curve faster now, but I'm not going anywhere near it at more than 60 mph. Second one was a truck slammed the brakes on when I was checking a blind spot. Two up went *** of tea kettle. I was amazed.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:53 AM
i support twins
Superstock

BlackHawk996 is on a distinguished road
i voted left side because i was turning around on a dirtroad at 3mph and my front tire hit a rock and caused my front wheel to go sharpleft and the bike just dropped. i was standing over the bike with my hand still on the throttle grip going this is then i picked up the bike and i swear i heard some one playing the worlds smallest
Old 06-11-2008, 06:00 AM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
I had to check off two. Left side for the bike, *** over tea kettle for me...
Old 06-11-2008, 06:45 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
Left the bar one night back in 2000 I think. It was cool and damp. Took off from a stopsign (90 degree turn) and the *** came out. High-side to the left. Broken left collar bone, left clip, left faring, front piece (under the headlight), front signal and mirror. Can you beleive that NOBODY saw it? Boy was I relieved!

I didn't count this, but one day I was waiting to pull out of a parking lot and some old geezer backed into my right side pipe, knocking me over. I hopped off and cought the bike before it hit the ground, but didn't have the correct grip to pick it up. Had to set it down and then pick it up.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Squid

Gizzmo_jr is on a distinguished road
17 years old, pa's old CB450 hit a wicked crack on the highway induced a speed wobble. Seconds later a tank slapper so I got off the death ride, as it veered to a ditch with a telephone poll. Bike decided the left side was the side it wanted to lie down on. Painful memories of how I turned out, I kept the helmet as a reminder. Everything else is gone. Gravel shoulders at 100km/h hurt something fierce.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:48 AM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Cleveland
Second, on a cold tire..... Just starting out in a Hooters parking lot, to the right....
HAHA, I did that too except on the left. Cold tire. The bike just started spinning around down to the frame slider. Broke the shifter. No damage to me except pride. I was the first one out of the group so they all got a show.

Also got rear ended by other bikes twice over the winter. Down on the left side both times. The last one was a T Bone. Made a lot of money on that one and still have the bike.

No injuries from street riding, numerous scars from the dirt though and my back is still a little stiff.

ATGATT! Boots too!
Old 06-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Squid
Squid

sparkyharley is on a distinguished road
down twice - always weird

First time - 16 years old and a car merged into my lane; forced me and my Honda SS125 onto some concrete "lane separators" that were set into the pavement at a 45 degree angle. Thank goodness those are not used in modern street construction. I believe I achieved about 15 feet of height before coming back to earth. I lost a lot of skin and flesh, but did not really feel the pain until a nurse took Phisohex (?) and gauze pads to scrub the asphalt out of my body. That hurt much worse than the actual wreck!

Second time - 21 years old; riding my Dad's Suzuki GT380 at night; some person wrecked a motorcycle (who was riding at night with no lights front or rear) in front of me. I tried to dodge but clipped his front wheel and slid off the left side of the road. I distinctly remember removing my helmet and walking back to the guy while considering using the helmet to inflict bodily harm. But he suffered a broken arm in the incident so I did not inflict any more pain.

Now I am 55 and have many, many miles behind me. Maybe there is some advantage to age and experience?
Old 06-11-2008, 12:11 PM
WERA #44
Superstock

happytrack44 is on a distinguished road
Endover dogover ouch at 65, Rightside lowside racetrack crash, leftside lowside squirrel spur smash.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

bdizzle is on a distinguished road
Left side for me as well. Going trough a tight canyon on my 93 gsxr750, came around a blind left turn, hit a small patch of gravel on the road with the front tire, and washed out. Thank god i was only going about 30 mph, but it still scratched up the left side.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Superstock

So why would we go down on the left side 2 to 1 over the right side?

My left side was a left turn on gravel, so was only going to go one way.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
Apart from offroad and roadrace track crashes, I've not binned a bike for many years - something like 1 1/2 million road miles and 30 years.

Offroad - of course, that's part of the fun. A coupla years ago, I won a special award in a trials event for "Most Artistic Get-off"; described in gymnastics terms, it was...

And roadrace, yes, every few years I have a little one. The third to last was a real beauty - dislocated a shoulder and a hip, broke a collarbone and 3 fingers. I highsided at 120mph on the exit of a 4th gear right hand turn, being a smartass and passing on the inside of a couple of 1100s. Mixed
pre-'82 and pre-'89 Historic classes: they were on GSX-R 1100s, I was on a 10 year older TZ 350. Serves me bloody right; basically I only crash when I'm showing off. My dear old mother had waited for 33 years of my racing to say, "I told you so"", and she's not finished telling me yet.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Squid

Blkbird is on a distinguished road
Left side low side, pushing too hard in mountains and lost the back end. broken hand, bent forks, bent exhaust, crushed front fairings. hand and bike is almost healed enough to ride again.

Quick Reply: Gone Down?