General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Fork spring prices

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 06:46 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Fork spring prices

So in my lengthy research, I've settled on .90's. The sonics (from Jamie) are $85 shipped and I've found Race Techs for $93.86. My question is, has anyone found a better price on these? I'm 90% sure for $8.86 more I'm going to go with the RT's.
RT .90's
Somewhere in my reading, I found that the RT's are made by Eibach. My personal experience w/ them sealed the deal.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:17 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Good to hear from you, Jason! Yeah the RT's are made by Eibach but I would remind you that some of the best/latest innovations for our bikes come from within the memership.

The other way to look at it - for $8 you got some gook stamping them out at eight thousand per hour or a guy in his garage that owns your bike.

Cranks out ten sets per week. Or less.

My .o2

We need to launch a new shirt order soon
Old 12-30-2011, 09:08 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nuhawk
We need to launch a new shirt order soon
Now lets see... where's Ian's PM link? Limited colors this time, of course.

And about the springs. I wanted to give Jamie the sale period. Then I found out about Eibach. Kind of a brand loyalty thing I guess. My coil-over kit (for car) has Eibach made pieces, and I have been tremendously happy w/ them for years. And you can probably vouch for them as well. You have .90's right?
Old 12-31-2011, 07:17 PM
MotoGP

No, I run .95's. Rider plus full gear. In my case that was 18 lbs more so it put me at .95's for my road conditions and my style of riding. Don't get over technical with the front if you can't do something about the rear. Jamie definitely has the rear change-out of the hour. Mine cost me $500 - just ask Selztoad. Jamie's is new tech and readily available parts. Do your fronts however you wish. Save some change to do the rear.

BTW Eibach owns RaceTech.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:04 PM
MotoGP

Save some change to do the rear.

Check!!
Old 01-01-2012, 07:27 AM
MotoGP

Good man, Jason! That looks like the good stuff. Enjoy - once you get it all set up you won't believe the difference! Congrats!
Old 01-05-2012, 07:35 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Something to think about is that with the RT sets you get spacer tube material.... that you need to cut yourself. For the price I sell the springs for I also include pre-cut spacers so you know you are getting the correct length and don't have the hassle of cutting them yourself. Worth $8 to you?

Aside from that, even though they are more expensive you are still wanting to go with RaceTech springs. Can I ask why? Several years ago when I switched to Sonic I compared theirs to RaceTech. I found no difference in performance or quality. I think what you are doing is paying to middle man and not getting any value from it. If you feel there is another reason you would prefer RaceTech springs I would love to know!
Old 01-05-2012, 03:40 PM
MotoGP

I have had it on the bike since august! At which point I knew springs would have to follow soon. The first real high speed bumpy sweeper... The bike just totally wiggled like jello. I wish I had video!!

Jamie:

Mainly brand loyalty. I am a Honda guy and would NEVER own a vw. I own a Toyota truck and would never consider ford/chevy/dodge. Do they make good stuff? Maybe so, but it's my preference. Many years ago I put a Ground Control coil over kit on my teg. I custom picked spring rates with the support of an established company. My car handles like a go cart. I couldn't be more happy with what I got. And years after, it's still as good as it was new. With such a good experience it was a no-brainer for me.
I searched info on Sonic. This was one of the threads I read. I agreed with some of the opinions (of nobodies/strangers/etc.) and came the the conclusion that for a few dollars more, I could get the brand with which I have had the opportunity to own/deal with first hand.

I feel the sharks circling... please don't bust my *****.
I bought that Ohlins for the same sort of reasons. I could have spent 450 with you and bought an oe Honda rear shock (redone of course). Instead I bought Ohlins, and I have no regrets. I went as far as finding out that the Ohlins fork springs that are offered for the hawk are .85 in an attempt to have the same brand f&r. Please don't take it personal. Do you even remotely understand my motives (or what you might call stupidity)?

Are these springs both .90, yes. Are they made of the exact same materials, no. It's up to the individual making the purchase. I have no experience w/ sonic, I do w/ eibach.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:41 PM
SuperBike

I guess I can understand that. What I get from your explanation is basically that you don't have much (if any) good information about Sonic but have personal experience with RaceTech. The Sonic springs are made from the exact same material (music wire) as the RaceTech springs. Remember: people will post a suspicion or opinion in an online forum and make it sound like fact..... when it is not!

At the end of the day you are just fine with RaceTech springs. They will not let you down. I do not try to "win" everyone over, my goal is to offer parts and services to people who want the exact same level of quality and performance but do not want to pay a premium for it. That's where I'm coming from!
Old 01-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I've used both RT and Sonic. IMHO, the difference is in the service. $5 between the two is nothing, thus I consider them equals. RT, however, seem to be asses when it comes to customer service. On the polar opposite, you can call Rich at Sonic and he will answer any question you can come up with and will custom make or match springs to your liking. For that, I go with Sonic from now on.

Wolverine, I know this won't change your mind on this purchase, but hopefully those doing research on this forum in the future will make a more informed choice. Sonic's phone number is 405-677-2156 if you need it.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:34 AM
MotoGP

Now I'm second guessing my rate selection. I read an old post where Greg stated anything over .85 would not work well w/ oe valving. Eventually I may revalve. Probably not in the next 3-4 years (wife's attending nursing school). After that who knows, maybe an inverted swap or a send off to one of our 2 greatest assets. In the meantime, if you were in my shoes would you go .85 or .90? 175 w/o full gear, pretty aggressive on the street sometimes, don't want to lose a smooth ride on the long hauls. Roads around here aren't horrible, a few totally suck but for the most part they are "good".
I know what a dramatic change of rate will do having felt it on my car. That being said, I don't want to have harshness in the front end. I wish I had someone close w/ the .90's!!!!

And thanks for the opinions. I really do appreciate all your input.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:39 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Whatever the spring rate, not doing the valves at the same time is a good way to become sorely disapointed by the results... Yeah, the correct springs will stop the bike falling over forwards in the corners, but it also makes it feel like a pogo stick since the valving and springs aren't very well matched...

Any change of just springs, "will not work well", but what your read in that old post more or less means that once you go past .85 or so, it becomes so horribly mismatched it's starting to become an actual problem...

The springs and valving need to match and be in balance... If not, you get very wierd results... Like how that Öhlins rear probably makes the shortcomings of the front more obvious than before...

If you want to keep it on a budget, do it yourself using Racetech's online info... But do it!
Old 01-07-2012, 08:14 PM
MotoGP

Believe me, I know I need the valve kit. I just can't afford it right now (just bought a new front doughnut too). I'm supporting two kids and a wife going through nursing school! So, should I plan ahead and suffer with a crappy front for a couple years (well, I have been since I bought the Hawk!) or get the softer springs and just deal later? How much difference am I going to give up between .85's & .90's? That's the $94 question.

A re-spring has to be better than what I have now. Honestly, the bike is crazy in high speed sweepers that cycle the front through its travel. Very undesirable characteristics! Maybe just maybe you have a spare R/T kit laying around?
Old 01-08-2012, 03:49 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
Believe me, I know I need the valve kit. I just can't afford it right now (just bought a new front doughnut too). I'm supporting two kids and a wife going through nursing school! So, should I plan ahead and suffer with a crappy front for a couple years (well, I have been since I bought the Hawk!) or get the softer springs and just deal later? How much difference am I going to give up between .85's & .90's? That's the $94 question.

A re-spring has to be better than what I have now. Honestly, the bike is crazy in high speed sweepers that cycle the front through its travel. Very undesirable characteristics! Maybe just maybe you have a spare R/T kit laying around?
Actually, I might... I'm not sure... It's quite possible I have a set of the older version valves lying around... If I do, they are yours for shipping... I'll have a look in a few days when i get home (on the road until next weekend)...
Old 01-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Wild Man
Back Marker

Matt_Hawk is on a distinguished road
Are you guys talking about the compression or rebound valving?

Personally, I found the compression valves to be okay-not great but not terrible... but the rebound valves really suck along with the fork springs that are soft and harsh at the same time.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:15 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Both need changing. Stock compression valves don't even have bleed holes - they have bleed shims as the base shim, which IMO is a crappy design. As for rebound, the stack is very light, hence the reason that .90s overpower the damping circuit, making the rebound too quick even with the adjuster dialed fully in.

Your statement above is a little bit conflicted. The springs don't make things harsh. Damping makes suspension harsh. So what you're feeling is too much high speed compression damping combined with too little low speed compression damping (and soft spring rates). Bumps are harsh and braking puts the bike on its nose - very little anti-dive properties. Both high and low speed compression damping are a function of the valve design and shim stack.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
It is the general opinion that the compression damping is too harsh and the rebound is too soft? If changing to a .90kg/cm spring, is there an oil weight change that gets it in the ball park?
Old 01-09-2012, 10:18 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by davidka
It is the general opinion that the compression damping is too harsh and the rebound is too soft? If changing to a .90kg/cm spring, is there an oil weight change that gets it in the ball park?
How did you come to that conclusion? Both are too soft... Since there is no magical way of making fluids behave differently when moving in different directions, the simple answer is no, there is no oil weight that fixes it, you need to change the valves and shims...

Like Hawkrider said, the shimstack is light, meaning the rebound is fast, ie not enough rebound dampening... I'm an amateur, he's good at this, so if he says to swap it, I'd listen...

I know the basics, and even I can work out that the stock setup is out of balance in terms of highspeed/lowspeed... Putting in stiffer springs isn't going to help much, if you don't fix the other imbalances... It just makes the result even more wierd... I tried it, and it felt like a pogo stick...
Old 01-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Yeah, if you use a higher viscosity oil then you can "fix" the rebound problem with stiffer springs, but then you compound the compression problem, specifically the high speed compression. Basically the fluid can only move so fast through an orifice, no matter the pressure difference. That's what happens with stock compression valving and thicker oil. You go into what's considered hydraulic lock. The result is what feels like no suspension at all if you hit a series of bumps or a large bump. Then the tire and your *** end up taking the shock.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:26 PM
SuperBike

Yep, that's the problem. The compresion "stack" is light but that's only because it's a restrictive piston design. The piston design is what makes the compression damping harsh. Putting higher weight fluid in there only makes this worse.

The rebound is easier in some ways but more complicated in others. For most street riders just a shim stack change will get the rebound performing well. There are still benefits to upgrading the rebound pistons too.

The whole setup is something that is made for the masses. You have to respect the challenge Honda/Showa has, they have no idea what the rider weighs or how they will use the motorcycle. That's where my job is so much easier. I can talk to the owner/rider and get all of the details I need to get them setup properly. That's what it's all about.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:51 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
There's something to be said for someone who can build me some forks and, with only a half a turn of the adjusters, make my tire look like this after 3 days.

Name:  IMAG0296-1.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  223.1 KB
+1 for Jamie

Last edited by jay956; 01-11-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:26 PM
MotoGP

So, .85 or .90's?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
How did you come to that conclusion? Both are too soft... Since there is no magical way of making fluids behave differently when moving in different directions, the simple answer is no, there is no oil weight that fixes it, you need to change the valves and shims...

Like Hawkrider said, the shimstack is light, meaning the rebound is fast, ie not enough rebound dampening... I'm an amateur, he's good at this, so if he says to swap it, I'd listen...
MY hands tell me that the high-speed compression damping on my fork is to high. lol

This thread is the first place that I have read that the rebound damping was so inadequate for stiffer springs. I have read numerous accounts of people adding stiffer springs and fresh oil and being overjoyed at the difference.

I'm here to learn, like most. To me the biggest chore will be elevating the front of the bike and getting the fork off. I'm just trying to become as informed as I can to make sure I do it once.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:55 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
you got some gook stamping them out
Not a nice thing to say, afterall, some gook(s) made your SuperHawk...plus I'm sure we have a gook or two on this forum.

Last edited by oahu hawk; 01-11-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:13 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
So, .85 or .90's?
It depends on your weight. For street riders here is what I suggest:

115-150lb = 0.80kg/mm
150-180lb = 0.85kg/mm
180-215lb = 0.90kg/mm
215-250lb = 0.95kg/mm
250-280lb = 1.00kg/mm
Old 01-13-2012, 09:14 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by davidka
MY hands tell me that the high-speed compression damping on my fork is to high. lol

This thread is the first place that I have read that the rebound damping was so inadequate for stiffer springs. I have read numerous accounts of people adding stiffer springs and fresh oil and being overjoyed at the difference.

I'm here to learn, like most. To me the biggest chore will be elevating the front of the bike and getting the fork off. I'm just trying to become as informed as I can to make sure I do it once.
And if you look at those threads, you'll find my replies and others in most of them, recommending those same people to do it the right way... Yeah, just springs and fresh oil is an improvement over stock for most... But like has been said about a lot of things, you only know the best you have tried... And springs and valving in balance is the best I have tried... And I'm not going back to anything else...