General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

footpeg spacer kit

Old 06-30-2005, 08:12 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
footpeg spacer kit

Hello all,

I currently have a set of Micron slip-ons mounted on my bike in the standard position. The cans also came with brackets to mount them in a higher/semi-high-mount position which is more aesthetically pleasing but interferes with the passenger footpegs. I believe that some exhaust companies make spacer kits (to move pegs outward) to allow the use of their high-mounts with passenger pegs. I would like to move the cans to this higher position but don't want to lose my passenger pegs as my girlfriend rides with me quite often. Does anyone know of who makes these kits? Web sites?

cheers
Old 06-30-2005, 10:31 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: footpeg spacer kit

I think all they are is a spacer (piece of pipe) and a longer bolt.

Hey can you take a pic of your high mount pipes? As you know I have Microns and it would be cool to get em higher.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:36 AM
Squid

v2weapon
If this is really what you want to do, your least expensive solution may be to just make templates out of heavy paperboard, then take the pattern to a machine shop and have them hack out a couple spacers with their nifty plasma cutter and drill press. Or, as Norrth said, just get some longer bolts and cut 4 pieces of tubing for spacers.

My bike came with Jardine high-mounts, which are designed to work with passenger pegs. The problem is the high-mount cans sit right against the back of the passenger peg brackets, and were constantly roasting my girly's feet. They also made the passenger seating area uncomfortably hot, and occupied the area where I would normally mount my beloved soft saddlebags for weekend touring. I'm sure this is why most high-mount systems eliminate the passenger pegs, since most passengers won't want to ride sitting on top of a set of scorching exhaust pipes anyway. Before I got the Two Brothers Racing carbon fiber low-mounts, my girly refused to ride with me, once she got a taste of the high-mount Jardine system. Now she's delighted to ride along. If you plan to carry a passenger, you'll be doing them a favor by staying with the low-mount system. Ever wonder why sport-touring bikes, designed for two-up riding, don't have "center-up" or high-mount exhaust systems? Hot passenger seats lead to sweaty cracks and monkey butt, and who wants to get busy with that? Ick.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:33 AM
MotoGP

Thanks for the responses. You are all correct in assertign that the spacer kits are essentially hollow tubes and longer bolts. I was simply looking to avoid dicking around looking for the proper sized tubes (willing to pay a few extra $$ to save the headache).

cheeers
Old 06-30-2005, 02:32 PM
Back Marker

icebud

Mikstr I'm very surprise to hear that you have some "spacers" to put the low mount Micron slip-ons higher!!?

I have bought my Mircon slip-on last year and at this time, I have ordered the low mount system because my girlfriend don't have its driver license and she was still seating with me. But this year, she passed its license and she bought its own bike, so Yoohoo! no more passenger on my VTR

Thus, I would like to put my pipes at the higher position and I called Micron for that, they answer me that the only way I can mount them higher is with a new set of link pipes for 99$ US each!!! A bit expensive IMO, especially if we take care that I've already give them 1200$ for the original settings...

So now, this is why I'm very surprise to hear about your spacers!! Can you post pic of them or maybe we could meet us and by the way take a beer Because if they are exactly what you said and that you are not willing to heat the butt of your gilrfriend, me I will take them

Let me know...
Old 06-30-2005, 03:24 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by v2weapon";p=&quot
Hot passenger seats lead to sweaty cracks and monkey butt, and who wants to get busy with that? Ick.
ROFLMAO ..and I thought I just getting old?

aaaaaaaaaanywayyyyyyyy..I have no idea what Mkstr is talking about BUT! maybe Micron will give us a volume deal on highmount link pipes and brackets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHO's IN!!????
Old 06-30-2005, 05:18 PM
Squid

v2weapon
I dunno if the Micron cans would mate properly to the Jardine mid-pipes (I suspect they probably would, most VTR mufflers use a common sized entry), but if someone is interested in buying my Jardine system, I'd sell it.

It's the Jardine aluminum high-mount race system. The cans are thrashed, but the stainless mid-pipes, high-mount brackets, and clamps are all in good shape. None of it's perfect, since it resided on a race bike for the last 3 years. But if I didn't carry a passenger (and high-mount systems suited my tastes at all), I would have simply ordered new cans from Jardine and rocked on.

I'm asking $85 plus shipping, with or without the mufflers (which are in bad shape). If you want the mufflers, shipping weight is 25 lbs. If you just want the mid-pipes, brackets, clamps, and hardware, shipping weight is 15 lbs. My zip is 37209.

I'll copy/paste this post to the Classifieds forum also, to make it easier to find for those who might be interested. PM me for pics if you're interested.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:37 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Mine came with a homemade kit. It's just square aluminum tubing you can get at any home supply store. It will match the subframe quite well. You can easily cut this stuff with a hacksaw. Since you're unfamiliar with the bolts/sizing, take one off and find a correct nut that threads on and take it to the store. Use the nut to find the correct metric bolts, buy several different lengths and return the unused ones.

Or you can spend $$$ with 2 bros or any of the other companies who'll be glad to sell you essentially the same thing.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:16 AM
Squid

VTRBeefa

Hi Guys,

I have the Remus mid/high mounts... and they use billet alloy blocks.. you can sort or get an idea through this link...

Bens spacers

...and here as well

They look much tidier than a couple bits of pipe... I believe these are remus supplied.

Regs,
Beefa
Old 07-02-2005, 09:08 AM
MotoGP

Hello again,

sorry I don't have a digi cam to use to post pics of the additional brackets that were included with my slip-ons but I did run across this pic on another forum. If you look at how the cans are fastened at the back, you will notice the brackets that replace the stock passenger pegs. IN my case the link pipe and all else is exactly the same it is just a case of the brackets allowing the pipes to be mounted slightly higher (at a greater angle). the difference is not as dramatic as going to a real high-mount but it is nicer. Unfortunately, I wasn"t able to use the mount and footpegs at the same time (footpegs interfered with pipes) so I moved things around a bit and mounted them where the tcok pipes are fastened. Having spacers, however, would allow the brackets to be used all the while keeping the passenger pegs. I hope this clear things up.[img]http://[/img]
Old 07-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Squid

dsbunton646

i recently joined the forum and have a similar problem with my superhawk. i bought mine with the remus high mounts and it doesn't have the passenger pegs either. i am looking to purchase the peg assembley if i can figure out a spacer kit. i heard star cycles sells them for around $40.00 but i haven't verified it yet. anyone have the passeneger assemblies up for sale?
Old 07-10-2005, 06:30 PM
Squid

VTRBeefa

ok got pic of the Remus kit, showing the mount block machined out of a block of alloy.... as mentioned this came from the shop as new, so not sure on costs etc. The shop later told me that they had probs getting the long bolts our of Remus (but thats here in Aus, maybe different story in the US)

Old 07-10-2005, 06:38 PM
Squid

dsbunton646
nice looking bracket mounts. hopefully i can do something similar once i find some passenger brackets.