General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

first track day 4 me too!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 06:22 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
first track day 4 me too!

hrcvf1000r already gave alot of the same impressions I had in his thread. so alot might sound like a rerun but anyway...
I missed the first session becuase I got into tech inspection a little late. so by the second session everybody else already knew the track and basic understanding of how to ride it. I did not. my group just up and left me for dead. they left me behind and I was just drifting through groups for a while. not the best first impression. but then I switched groups and ity was just me, the group leader and 2 other guys. then it got fun. funny thing tho is that I was catching people in places where the hawk is weaker (coming onto the front straight) and loosing them where the hawk should be stronger(in the corners) seemed like powering out of corners was really where I caught people. definitely more research needed it was 100 degrees and sunny that day. we were dying. I'm sorry to say that I had to sit out the last session because I was apperantly showing symptoms of heat stroke. whatever. anyway, it was awsome and it showed me just how much better I still need to get. riding the bike on the street now feels kinda different. its like you have all this extra capability that you can't use, and where before I might be a little tense at first, now I'm relaxed and confident and more familiar with what I and the bike are truly capable of. since the day I crashed it, (3rd day of ownership) I have always had the utmost respect and a healthy dose of fear for my hawk. after my track day, there is more respect, alot less fear, and a feeling that my hawk is a bit more my bitch than it was before. it feels good.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:53 AM
Squid

futurehawk is on a distinguished road
Cool part about skills...

Is that you can have them running around in the back of your mind when some cage driver shows that his/her breakfast consisted of a cup of stupid with toast. Knowing your bike's capabilities - and yours - only makes you more capable to survive when Joe Buick suddenly remembers that he needs to pick up his daughter's Christmas present (last accident, but I was in my cage as well, so no injuries). King Kenny Roberts likened it to having all potemtial reactions in pouchs on the pegboard of his mind. Whatever he needed in a particular situation, he'd just open the appropriate pouch and use that skill. Got him three World Championships on the underpowered-but-better-handling YZR500, much to all of Europe's chagrin.
Not to mention that there's not many things more fun/rewdarding/COOL than getting your ya-ya's out on a bike at speed. Skateboards and vert come to mind.
Repeat as needed.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
It sounds like you had fun too ! How was the Autobahn course ? I have seen the lay out , But does it have any elavation changes ? also your right the Hawk does great on corner exits . Especially the uphill off camber stuff at Road Atlanta .Thats why I think the Hawk would do really well at Barber. I went and watched STT in July there ( was trying to see what I was in for before Road Atlanta) I think thats going to be my next track day . I wanted to do Barber Sept 8th but all classes are full .
Old 08-24-2007, 10:08 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by hrcvf1000r
It sounds like you had fun too ! How was the Autobahn course ? I have seen the lay out , But does it have any elavation changes ? also your right the Hawk does great on corner exits . Especially the uphill off camber stuff at Road Atlanta .Thats why I think the Hawk would do really well at Barber. I went and watched STT in July there ( was trying to see what I was in for before Road Atlanta) I think thats going to be my next track day . I wanted to do Barber Sept 8th but all classes are full .
autobahn does have more noticeble elevation changes on the last couple corners. coming out of turn sixyou go up a little hill but coming out of turn 8 onto the straight is an off camber right hander going up a decent hill. and that was mine and my bike's favorite part. I was catching gixxer1000's coming onto the straight. (then they were gone) but yeah the bi9ke definitely liked that spot. the only thing about autobahn was that there isn't a straight where you can really get up to speed. coming down the main straight I could just touch 110 in fourth before I had to set up for turn 1 and 2. other than that it was a blast. gonna have to wait for next season for the next one though. no funds.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:44 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by swordfish
I have always had the utmost respect and a healthy dose of fear for my hawk. after my track day, there is more respect, alot less fear, and a feeling that my hawk is a bit more my bitch than it was before. it feels good.
track days are great !

tim