General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

First ride - observations and comparisons to Buell....

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Back Marker

CANADAVTR is on a distinguished road
First ride - observations and comparisons to Buell....

So I picked up my VTR this week and rode it for the first time today (a cool 8 degrees in Canada)!
Observations;
Well, I've been riding forever, and currently also own a Buell Lightning. Comparisons have been made...I would say that the VTR shares the same low down grunt as my Buell, but pulls stronger, and once it gets above 60 mph it really flies!
Handling - lazier than the Buell, which feels like a greyhound on steroids. Honda is more stable, but more gnarly over the rough stuff...Buell is more forgiving over the bumps despite a steep 21 degree rake.
Brakes. Weaker front, stronger back.
Comfort-no probs for me. 5' 8" so I'm pretty short but the bike is just as
comfy as the Buell.
VTR is great value and the engineering shows big time. I'm well pleased with my new bike...
Old 11-13-2009, 07:14 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Bare in mind the VTR was designed in 1996 to a price point. It's running gear is older tech but can be relatively inexpensively significantly upgraded. Its handling can be easily sharpened by lowering the front and raising the rear. Personally, the way I have my f-r balance set up I need to slow it down a bit. Turn in now is almost telepathic. Tires make a big difference on the VTR. I like the Conti Attacks over the RoadSmarts I'm running now. Many like the Michelins though.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:02 AM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
Aye, that sounds right. Also keep in mind that at this point your VTR might need things like a rear shock. I know mine does and this makes it feel a tad heavier than my old Buell. That will be a winter upgrade for me
Old 11-15-2009, 06:23 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
While the bike is held back by some of its less-than-stellar bits (brakes, seat...) and calibration (forks, shock,...) VTR heaven is a few mods away..... Once done, you may as well sell the Buell....
Old 11-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Back Marker

Hey, I'm absloutely delighted with the VTR and not at all rating it as inferior to the Buell! In particular I love the refinement of the Honda's engine and tranny, and the fact that I can actually find neutral is a bonus. I like the stability of the VTR too, and the engine is WAYYY more powerful than my Lightning! The VTR looks ace too, IMHO.
The Buell is a different kind of bike, folks love 'em or hate 'em, but I find the Honda stimulating and it has a real personality...
Thanks for all the advise on the upgrades - lot's to do this winter!
Cheers
J
Old 11-15-2009, 04:05 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
welcome. what engine in your Buell? never rode one, but I like the mass centraliz and the low weight. Depressing to see Buell go down before they had a chance to catch on, esp when they were so close IMO. if I were Eric, I'd have told HD to shove it.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Back Marker

nath,
It's a 2003 Lightning XB9S with the 1000 cc Thunderstorm engine. It has the rare factory race kit...modified ECM, race exhaust and K&N. Also has CRG levers and aftermarket seat. Mint bike, probably about 90 hp...here's a pic...

I have to say though...I flippin' love my new VTR! LOL
Attached Thumbnails First ride - observations and comparisons to Buell....-p1010787.jpg   First ride - observations and comparisons to Buell....-p1010788.jpg  
Old 11-15-2009, 04:44 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Damn that's a cool looking bike. Welcome aboard - looks like you have two great bikes
Old 11-15-2009, 04:46 PM
MotoGP

nice Buell! Looks awesome. Probably 80 lbs lighter than the Hawk. By the looks of the rear sprocket, might be a wheelie monster, huh. Hope you enjoy your new superhawk. Post some pics and list the mods for us.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Back Marker

Thanks man, wow, you have a CX500 Turbo - now that is a rare tool! Rode one years ago and loved it!
Old 11-15-2009, 05:08 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CANADAVTR
Thanks man, wow, you have a CX500 Turbo - now that is a rare tool! Rode one years ago and loved it!
Thanks - I'm the second owner and have had her since '87. When the turbo spools up she's a hoot. Still really fun to feel the torque double and then shoot ahead.

Have fun on your new toy. I think one of the best parts of owning a SHawk is the freedom to modify it. You get lots of great ideas here and lots of help
Old 11-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Back Marker

Dan Cronin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CANADAVTR
nath,
It's a 2003 Lightning XB9S with the 1000 cc Thunderstorm engine. It has the rare factory race kit...modified ECM, race exhaust and K&N. Also has CRG levers and aftermarket seat. Mint bike, probably about 90 hp...here's a pic...

I have to say though...I flippin' love my new VTR! LOL

How was the transmission on the XB9s? I looked at one but wondered about the HD side of the package.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Back Marker

Dan,
The HD side of Buell is a little maligned IMHO. I've had my bike three years and only spent $100 on a new speedo sensor - other than that it's been trouble free. Starts on the button, and as for the tranny - yes, it's certainly more agricultural than the sophistication of the Honda, but apart from a hefty clunk into first, the bike shifts real sweet.
Changing down helps by blipping the throttle - but experienced bikers would do that anyway to help the clutch and save the back end locking up on big torque bikes.
Clutch is quite heavy but forgiving, and overall the bike is a lot of fun.
I was wary of a road bike with a 21 degree rake to start with, but hats off to Eric Buell, this thing is a stable as can be, and the handling is not as twitchy as you might think.
Overall, I wouldn't be put off by a Buell, and right now, you buy buy new for $7,000...it's a bargain - but who knows what the resales will be like in a couple of years? I'm not smart enough to know, and not rich enough to risk it...hence the VTR! LOL
Old 11-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Squid

dani p is on a distinguished road
Hey, we should get a ride going up here in Toronto and the gta....????????maybe a little cold now...but there is always next year....
I have her in the garage sleeping...lol....and she wont start...I think she is afraid of the cold from last weekend...lol....
Old 11-24-2009, 07:54 AM
Squid

Dr Honda is on a distinguished road
One of the bikes in my garage is a Buell XB12Ss. The 1200cc engine is a world of difference over the 9.

You are absolutely right about the trans. it's like shifting a tractor... BUT, my Buell has never missed a shift, and it has never false neutral'ed in the 3 years I've owned it. Also, in that time... I've never had to do anything to it other than oil changes, replace tires and brake pads. (got to love the zero maintenance hydro lifters, and belt drive)

To bad HD killed them. But it's not the first time Buell has closed. Hopefully Eric will find some new investors.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:05 AM
Wrench Bender
Squid

mhaisten is on a distinguished road
Hi all, I just picked up a 99 VTR. I love this thing. It has the Yosh RS3 pipes, a K&N filter, Steering damper. It must have been jetted because it runs. From what I have read here it would not be running if not. This thing feels like a 600 in the turns, haven't had a bike feel this light since my 87 GSXR1100. When I picked it up, it would stumble after 15 minutes of riding, then it got worse. After spending all day Sunday reading all your wisdom, I moved the vacuum line on the petcock to the correct fitting and WOW!!!!!!

Did I say I love this thing?

Michael
Old 11-24-2009, 08:28 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mhaisten
Hi all, I just picked up a 99 VTR. I love this thing. It has the Yosh RS3 pipes, a K&N filter, Steering damper. It must have been jetted because it runs. From what I have read here it would not be running if not. This thing feels like a 600 in the turns, haven't had a bike feel this light since my 87 GSXR1100. When I picked it up, it would stumble after 15 minutes of riding, then it got worse. After spending all day Sunday reading all your wisdom, I moved the vacuum line on the petcock to the correct fitting and WOW!!!!!!

Did I say I love this thing?

Michael
Welcome and that PVLIR has bit a lot of people.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:50 AM
MotoGP

welcome aboard Michael. That's the way I felt the first ride and immediately decided that it was mine, that was in 99, and i still love it.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Dr Honda
One of the bikes in my garage is a Buell XB12Ss. The 1200cc engine is a world of difference over the 9.

You are absolutely right about the trans. it's like shifting a tractor... BUT, my Buell has never missed a shift, and it has never false neutral'ed in the 3 years I've owned it. Also, in that time... I've never had to do anything to it other than oil changes, replace tires and brake pads. (got to love the zero maintenance hydro lifters, and belt drive)

To bad HD killed them. But it's not the first time Buell has closed. Hopefully Eric will find some new investors.
Yep, I agree, the tranny is agricultural, but once you're rollin the bike's great! I've only replaced one part in 3 years (cost $100), and aside from oil changes the bike's been trouble free.

And - nothing handles like a Buell...at least at my humble riding speeds!

J
Old 11-25-2009, 08:31 AM
MotoGP

i read Eric is back at it again. He's in charge of Buell racing and evidently is going to manage a racing effort independent yet using leftover parts. I don't believe he's working for HD any longer.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:33 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
Awesome for Eric! I hope somehow he can manage to resurrect the company and use more rotax engines!
Old 11-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Back Marker

bluevtr
Interesting to read, as I was originally shopping for a buell a few years back. Rode several over the years at demo rides in Daytona, and I agree, nothing handles like a Buell. I was really close to buying a Citycross, xb9sx, when I discovered that I could buy a Superhawk brand new for $6000. It was just too good to pass up, and felt a little better after reading about some of the early Buell reliability problems. I figured the Honda was a safer way to go.
Having said that, I love the SH but still wish I had the Buell. Still want one, but doesn't make sense for me to have two bikes that are this similar. One day I'll have one. Most people eather hate them or just don't understand, but they really are a hoot!
Old 11-25-2009, 05:44 PM
Back Marker

Blue, I agree....I had a real time even convincing myself to keep my Buell Lightning and add the VTR....I spent weeks deliberating! I've no regrets though...the VTR is a fine bike and a different ride to the Lightning.
When I was shopping around I found some real bargains on a new Firebolt or the 1125CR...but the Firebolt would be really too close to my Lightning and ...well...I could'nt live with the elephant ears on the CR...so back to a VTR.
I really hope Buell re-launch and succeed. It takes ***** to take on the big boys and Eric has proved his worth. Good on him!