General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

First Bike in the USA (Knoxville TN)

Old 08-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Test
Squid

vasaq is on a distinguished road
First Bike in the USA (Knoxville TN)

Hi ...i recently purchased a 2000 Superhawk from a 68 year old man ...the vehicle sounds great when started up and i got a decent price for it ...
i only got a chance to ride it a few times and i notice a few things that i am not sure if i should worry abt

(1) the owner said something like having tuned it like a rc51 ...the bike is mostly stock ...now i find it hard to ride around town or under 3ooo rpm ..i bring it to school and all the time i seem to be slowing down ?

(2) there are some sudden surges that happen once in a while ...cant explain it ..i pull in the clutch and let her hiccup and go from there

(3) when i start the bike after a while ...she kinda coughs and misses ...even if i stop for say 30 minutes this happens...i am not able to just jump on the bike and fly ...when i engage my second gear ...this vroooooom pfft pfft vrrooom pfft vrooooom pfft vrroom happens ...not as animated as mentioned here ...but i hope i am painting a fairly clear picture here...

i was wanting to find if it was normal ? what is the best way to set the bike to street riding ....i ride a 45 mph zone for 12 miles daily ...

I would like to show this to another superhawk owner ..is there any one from knoxville tn here...who wouldnt mind talking to me for say 20 minutes....

Please let me know
cheers
Hari
Old 08-24-2007, 03:06 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I'm thousands of miles from Knoxville but do you have a phone # for the previous owner? I'd call him and ask him what "tuned like an RC51" means. What did he actually do? Sounds like the carbs are probably jetted wrong but I'd start by asking him what he did and ask him to be a specific as possible and write it all down.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:00 PM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
How many miles have you put on this since you bought it?
Old 08-24-2007, 04:30 PM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
My guess is that "tuned like an RC51" means the carbs are improperly jetted. That sounds kind of like how mine was running when I got it. Mine was basically unrideable under 4k. The PO had the air screw turned out all the way and everything else about the carbs screwed up. Rejet and I think you should be fine.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:27 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Tuned like an RC51 means he's got a Power Commander hidden somewhere in there! hehe

What are the mods to the bike? Knoxville, eh? That's what, 1500 ft elevation?
Old 08-24-2007, 05:54 PM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
I've got a buddy here who might be able to help you out. I'm going riding with him tomorrow and ask him if he can help you out.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:40 PM
Test
Squid

Originally Posted by Sgt Rock
How many miles have you put on this since you bought it?
i got the bike maybe 5 days ago ...maybe a 100 miles ...tops ! and most of em where under 45 miles going to school ?
Old 08-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Test
Squid

Originally Posted by Sgt Rock
I've got a buddy here who might be able to help you out. I'm going riding with him tomorrow and ask him if he can help you out.
thanks...I appreciate that..i saw u live near the deals gap...i drove the bike today when she was warm ...in city traffic ...near the campus ....she was responding perfectly ...i was weaving in and out of traffic like she was a dirtbike...( i drove in India for many years ..so I feel at home when the traffic gets unruly).....so i am starting to think that this has something to do with the cold ..or something like that ....

do let me know..
cheers
hari