General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Ever gotten a ticket for doing a wheelie?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
Actually a spike strip is re-usable, so it's actually making profit the more it's used... Just saying...

And a roadblock is a much better way of stopping someone on a bike than a myriad of other ways that I have seen and heard about... Less risk of injury to the rider and anyone else... Grabbing someone at a stoplight isn't a risk free proposal...
My point was that there is no need to throw a road block, spikes and pay cop/jail/court employees salaries to take care of a dude pulling a wheelie on a bike. The bill is on the tax payers, and I would appreciate much more a cop that doesn't waste his time and city resources (my taxes money) on something that 99% of the times is only a threat to itself and not to the public.

From what you wrote, it sounds like they figured that out in Sweden.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:23 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
I'd personally think they'd generate a WHOLE lot more revenue if they would just teach cops what makes headlights non-DOT and start fining the crap out of every wannabe tuner car with incorrect color temp etc. amazon.com bulbs... I'm sick of that BS.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:00 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Killemall
My point was that there is no need to throw a road block, spikes and pay cop/jail/court employees salaries to take care of a dude pulling a wheelie on a bike. The bill is on the tax payers, and I would appreciate much more a cop that doesn't waste his time and city resources (my taxes money) on something that 99% of the times is only a threat to itself and not to the public.

Well, to clarify... If I where to pull a powerwheelie during the course of normal riding, as in fairly low speeds, low lift, fairly short duration, probably leaving a standstill, the cops wouldn't bat an eye at it as long as I'm not speeding... Just carry on, riding sir... It's perfectly legal, not even a judgement call on the cops side...

If I do it on the freeway at speed, it's a totally different thing... Then it's considered reckless endangerment, and I go to jail... No tickets, plain and simple jail, and drivers licence revoked for up to six months on the first offence... Try it again, and you get banned for driving for up to a year, and if you do it a third time, you can get up to five years of riding on the bus...

Anything in between there is a gray area... It's mostly down to speed and if you are around other people or not, but the main thing is if you endanger someone else, it's an offence you'd get a ticket for, and at worst a one to three month ban... Usually if you do it in town, they will ticket you, outside of town, only if you do it in a really, really stupid place...

As I see it, these rules are fair... At slow speeds, I'll probably only hurt myself, unless I'm dumb enough to pull a wheelie across a zebra crossing in the middle of town, and risk clipping someone, in which case a ticket is only fair... At highway speeds, I become a potentially unguided missile if I mess it up, so I put a lot of other people at risk there, potentially killing someone in the oncoming lane with my bike, so jail isn't really unfair...

If I where to pull a wheelie on a backcountry road, leaving an intersection though... Perfectly fine... Doing it coming out of a corner? Well... Depends on the road ahead... Are there intersections not easily visible? Plan and simple... Don't be stupid...

In 18 years of riding, the worst I have gotten was a motorcycle cop stopping me, to inform me that if I didn't stop pulling wheelies everywhere, he'd give me a formal warning... After the little informal chat, he gave me a great big smile, slammed the visor down and proceeded to lift the front of his big *** Beemer through first and second as he left me standing by the road... My kind of cop...
Old 06-05-2013, 01:04 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Killemall

Well, yeah it costs more... But if you need to stop a biker for whatever reason, either make it a roadblock, safe and easy, or an obvious, safe move to block me and let me know at low speeds... Not some crazy *** cop jumping me from behind and pulling on me at standing at an intersection... That puts me in danger... And that's not OK...
Old 06-07-2013, 05:41 AM
Squid

flynavyj is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Chrisguilday
...No one else was near me, it was an open road and the only cars around were over a half mile behind me...

...He was maybe too stern when he took my key but I understand his reasoning, although I don't justify it at all. Almost caused me to fall.
The only reason no one else was near you was because you were going 85 mph in a 55 mph zone, if you came to a stop light, i'd have to imagine you were on a large wide surface street...and 85 mph is flying if you're not on an interstate, and very fast for a rural highway. Do you practice emergency stops from 85 mph on a regular basis? Especially when dealing with cross streets and the potential for other vehicles to not judge your closure rate?

My college roommate had to go to the funeral of a friend of his who was killed in a Denver motorcycle accident. The friend was doing about 80 mph on a large "boulevard" that had a 50 or 55 mph posted speedlimit. A van was turning onto their street from a side street and misjudged the motorcyclists speed (we can blame the van driver for not looking long enough, and the motorcyclist for going FAR ABOVE the normal flow of traffic). End result was a 20 year old kid being plastered onto the sheetmetal of a conversion van and dead on the scene.

As some have said, we all did stupid stuff when we were 19. I received a ticket doing 70 in a 45 on a country backroad one night (could have hit a deer, dumb move). Hopefully you've learned from this, don't pull wheelies on public streets, and to obey the speed limit...and if you're not going to go the speed limit, you probably shouldn't blatantly speed far in excess of the posted limits or the flow of traffic.

Lastly, how does taking your key almost make you fall off the bike? Exaggerate much?
Old 06-07-2013, 09:53 AM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
I was riding with two of my buddies today and I pulled a wheelie for about 3 seconds. Unfortunately there was a cop four cars behind me. He "Pulled" me over at the next red light. I had no idea he was behind me.

I was sitting at the red light and the cop walks up behind me, grabs my arm, throws me off the bike and takes my key. I barely managed to keep my bike from falling over while being thrown off of it. He tells me to walk it over to the side walk.

I am 19 and have never been pulled over before / have never gotten any tickets.

Basically he got for...

1. Doing a wheelie
2. Apparently doing 120 in a 55. Although I know he didn't clock me, he was just talking **** because I was doing about 85. No ticket was given for this.
3. And wreckless driving.

Total of about $2000 in tickets, but he decided to give me warnings instead. Got off extremely lucky, and doubt I will ever do another wheelie lol.

This is in Florida by the way. A wheelie ticket will run you at minimum $1000.

Any one else gotten a ticket for wheelying?
Yeah pulled one away from a stop sign, crossed an intersection heading into the country. Police Chief was sitting in a plain wrapper in a slot at a used car lot. He could of nailed me to the wall but was real cool about it. I never saw him but had a note on my door to come see him in the morning. I apologized as he let me know he was pulling over 80 hours a week with his job. Got one for running a stop and one for 105 in a 55. My speedo said 155 (cbr900rr). Hired an attorney, they dropped the speeding ticket, paid a small fine for the stop sign ticket. That was in 2001. Stayed off sport bikes for 12 years, until buying the vtr couple months ago. Thought I'd be mature enough by now but its not looking that way.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Back Marker

Chrisguilday is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by flynavyj
The only reason no one else was near you was because you were going 85 mph in a 55 mph zone, if you came to a stop light, i'd have to imagine you were on a large wide surface street...and 85 mph is flying if you're not on an interstate, and very fast for a rural highway. Do you practice emergency stops from 85 mph on a regular basis? Especially when dealing with cross streets and the potential for other vehicles to not judge your closure rate?

My college roommate had to go to the funeral of a friend of his who was killed in a Denver motorcycle accident. The friend was doing about 80 mph on a large "boulevard" that had a 50 or 55 mph posted speedlimit. A van was turning onto their street from a side street and misjudged the motorcyclists speed (we can blame the van driver for not looking long enough, and the motorcyclist for going FAR ABOVE the normal flow of traffic). End result was a 20 year old kid being plastered onto the sheetmetal of a conversion van and dead on the scene.

As some have said, we all did stupid stuff when we were 19. I received a ticket doing 70 in a 45 on a country backroad one night (could have hit a deer, dumb move). Hopefully you've learned from this, don't pull wheelies on public streets, and to obey the speed limit...and if you're not going to go the speed limit, you probably shouldn't blatantly speed far in excess of the posted limits or the flow of traffic.

Lastly, how does taking your key almost make you fall off the bike? Exaggerate much?
It was a high way and there were no cross streets. The one red light I stopped at was the only light on that high way for a long while. In fact, they are removing that intersection so the traffic flows better. People do 80+ mph on this highway ALL the time. I live in Florida, this road is US-19. Any one that lives near this area would know what I'm talking about. (US-19 and gulf to bay area)

The speeding bit of it wasn't what the cop was mad about. I doubt he would of given me a ticket for 80 mph on this road even if he had clocked me. The regular speed people typically drive on this road is around 70 mph even though the speed limit is 55.

And lastly, if you had read the thread you would understand why "Taking my key out" almost caused me to fall.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:10 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
You can get a ticket and worse in Ontario, Canada if you ride in a manner that indicates even an intention to do a wheelie. Your bike will be impounded for 7 days, your licence will be seized and suspended for 7 days, you're liable to pay the costs of impoundment which can be considerable and you can be jailed for up to 6 months and fined between $2,000 and $10,000. There is no right of appeal from the seizure of your bike and your licence and the suspension of your licence. A police officer does not have to appear before a judge to get a warrant to seize your bike or licence. There need not be photographic evidence of the manner of driving. It is entirely within the discretion of the police officer. You're liable to the same penalties if you exceed the speed limit by 50 kph. Typing this made me feel as Hamlet did when he held the rotten skull of Yorick in his hands.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:43 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

It was a high way and there were no cross streets. The one red light I stopped at was the only light on that high way for a long while. In fact, they are removing that intersection so the traffic flows better. People do 80+ mph on this highway ALL the time. I live in Florida, this road is US-19. Any one that lives near this area would know what I'm talking about. (US-19 and gulf to bay area)

The speeding bit of it wasn't what the cop was mad about. I doubt he would of given me a ticket for 80 mph on this road even if he had clocked me. The regular speed people typically drive on this road is around 70 mph even though the speed limit is 55.

And lastly, if you had read the thread you would understand why "Taking my key out" almost caused me to fall.
I DO live here and that particular stretch of "hiway" is on my daily commute. I take Gulf to Bay to Tampa for work. So you're talking about the elevated part where there aren't any cross streets? Well that may be so, but it's not far between lights there and I've had tons of times when a sherrif or trooper sits there at the crest of the elevated part and whoops their lights as I "speed past" in my Scion xB going a mere 65 mph! Dude, NOBODY does 80 there, you're crazy...

Last edited by supermarto; 06-07-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:49 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

And even if they ARE going 80, that's the weakest argument you can ever make. "Everybody else does it" will get you laughed at in court faster than you can imagine.

And you're right, they're removing that intersection, so it's currently under construction. You know that doubles your fine, even when no workers are present, right?

Last edited by supermarto; 06-07-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:28 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
Truly whining about your poor decision, To a FINE group of mature mototrcycle riders.... IS really silly reading.. pay the fine, And I really have hopes for your safety.....
Old 06-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
Police are generally terrible since the position attracts people interested in power over others and they aren't actually obligated to protect or serve. What are we paying for? On the other hand ignorant motorcyclists taking unnecessary risks like wheeling with others around or any other of the stupid things we see to reflects poorly on me in a direct manner so I'm no fan of theirs either. Go wheelie and stunt on empty roads or parking lots where you won't affect others. There is nothing wrong with stunting if it's in the proper environment.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Back Marker

VtrInMtl is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by supermarto
And you're right, they're removing that intersection, so it's currently under construction. You know that doubles your fine, even when no workers are present, right?
That's what I was thinking, I'm from Clearwater and was down there last month, construction and lane closings at that intersection (Bellair), for real NOBODY does 80 there. It's congested all the time.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Back Marker

I think you guys are misunderstanding me. I'm not trying to justify what I did. I know I was in the wrong, that's why in my original post I said I was extremely lucky.

Just to be clear, I wasn't doing 80 in that construction area. The place I got caught was after the construction area on the elevated parts.

Any time after 8pm or so on US-19 on the elevated parts every one does 65+ mph. Maybe my speedo is off by a huge amount, but I am not lieing about this part. The speeding thing shouldn't even be argued here because it's really irrelevant. The cop didn't even care that I was doing that speed. He just told me that I could of been ticketed for speeding too. But that was the least of his concern.

I'd be willing to bet my life that a lot if not all of you guys have done some thing similar to what I did. The difference is I posted my incident, you guys didn't.

Last edited by Chrisguilday; 06-07-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Squid

flynavyj is on a distinguished road
wisest phrase I ever heard. "Better to be perceived as dumb, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

In this instance, you did something stupid, you learned from it, and you move on.

I received a speeding ticket one morning on my way to work overtime on a Saturday, 72 in a 55. I took my ticket, got a lawyer, paid them, paid court fees, and moved on with my life.

Also received a ticket on a beautiful afternoon ride, was trying to pass a slow moving section of cars on a 4 lane road before the road dropped down to two lanes and got twisty. Popped over the hill, LEO was sitting next to a school, pointed at me as I approached, and motioned to move to the side...I nodded, pulled over and talked to the officer. He said I was doing 55 or so in a 40, issued me a ticket for failure to use a turn signal and sent me on my way. This was after he thanked me for pulling over, even before his lights and sirens were on.

Both of these instances, the cops were very courteous and understanding. One said "I normally leave bikes alone, but highway patrol is running our radar and they're the ones who clocked you"...the other just said "be safe, and enjoy the ride"...either way, had I been pulling the front wheel off the ground for 3 seconds at a time, or going 85 mph in a 55 they may not have been as nice...and honestly, they likely shouldn't have been.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:23 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
I'd be willing to bet my life that a lot if not all of you guys have done some thing similar to what I did. The difference is I posted my incident, you guys didn't.
Hey, SQUID... I would think that MOST of us on the forum , would , and have ridden LIKE a DEMON on the way to hell, on a every chance, we get.. I know that I do..."Ain't got No chicken strips on my tires(CAR or Cycles)
Yet, You made the douche statement, asked for the GROUP to give criticism, and opinion... THEN whine, and attempt to justify YOUR STUPIDITY...
You really need to pick better topics..
or join the circus, safer than FL. highways....

Last edited by 1971allchaos; 06-07-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
This is nothing. What am I going to tell the fuzz when I get stopped for 150mph+?
Old 06-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by 1971allchaos
Hey, SQUID... I would think that MOST of us on the forum , would , and have ridden LIKE a DEMON on the way to hell, on a every chance, we get.. I know that I do..."Ain't got No chicken strips on my tires(CAR or Cycles)
Yet, You made the douche statement, asked for the GROUP to give criticism, and opinion... THEN whine, and attempt to justify YOUR STUPIDITY...
You really need to pick better topics..
I didn't ask for criticism. I asked if any one else had been pulled over for wheelying.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:27 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Hey man, you're right... I'm not gonna bust your ***** anymore about it... I'm just glad that this thread drew out two other Hawk riders close to me aside from Saige cause I can't motivate HIM to ride out with me ;-)
Old 06-08-2013, 08:10 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Your a dick.
If your going to call me out as unintelligent, you might wanna look at your grammar first. You're making yourself look dumb.
Beep! Wrong! Try again!
Old 06-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 1971allchaos
Hey, SQUID...
NIu2UbG.jpg?1
Old 06-18-2013, 09:31 AM
Squid

thumperslaw is on a distinguished road
2012 Ride of the Century | StuntBums
Old 06-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by comedo
You can get a ticket and worse in Ontario, Canada if you ride in a manner that indicates even an intention to do a wheelie. Your bike will be impounded for 7 days, your licence will be seized and suspended for 7 days, you're liable to pay the costs of impoundment which can be considerable and you can be jailed for up to 6 months and fined between $2,000 and $10,000. There is no right of appeal from the seizure of your bike and your licence and the suspension of your licence. A police officer does not have to appear before a judge to get a warrant to seize your bike or licence. There need not be photographic evidence of the manner of driving. It is entirely within the discretion of the police officer. You're liable to the same penalties if you exceed the speed limit by 50 kph. Typing this made me feel as Hamlet did when he held the rotten skull of Yorick in his hands.
Sure, but in back home in good old Ontario...why would you ever stop for the police if you're on a bike? I guess if you're stuck on a 400 series highway or something maybe, but away from the city they have no real way of catching you

Here in CA there are helicopters already in the air, may as well just stop
Old 06-18-2013, 02:00 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Whether to stop or not is an ongoing topic of discussion.
If you run, it becomes an offence under the s. 249.1 of the Criminal Code.
If you run and kill someone, the maximum sentence is life.
If you stop on your own, it's an offence under the Highway Traffic Act which is expensive but less serious than a Criminal Code offence.
The police have a discretion to pursue a fleeing motorcycle if the need to apprehend the rider outweighs the risk to public safety.
People get all hot and bothered when they run as do the police when they pursue. I'd rather pay a fine than have someone get hurt because I ran.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Back Marker

brothermike is on a distinguished road
Running from the Law in Florida is an instant felony, I like my gun's too much to risk that.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by comedo
Whether to stop or not is an ongoing topic of discussion.
If you run, it becomes an offence under the s. 249.1 of the Criminal Code.
If you run and kill someone, the maximum sentence is life.
If you stop on your own, it's an offence under the Highway Traffic Act which is expensive but less serious than a Criminal Code offence.
The police have a discretion to pursue a fleeing motorcycle if the need to apprehend the rider outweighs the risk to public safety.
People get all hot and bothered when they run as do the police when they pursue. I'd rather pay a fine than have someone get hurt because I ran.

As long as you're not this poor idiote. Please be warned, the video is in french. But the images speak for themselves.

This is on a highway I take almost everyday. The exit he takes at the end of the pursuit, I take to go to my hockey games. Shmuck was doing about 200km/hr trying to get away from the police. No motorcycle licence, the motorcycle was not plated, and his car licence had been already suspended. And to add to this, the guy had been seen earlier that morning at high speed by the same cop that arrested him. So, instead of going with his morning luck, and park the bike home, and let a few days pass, he decided to go for another spin around lunch time. As bugs bunny would say ''what a maroon''. This is about ten days ago.

Last edited by Jack Flash; 06-18-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
Sure...but when McGoofy passes ridiculous laws that basically make Ontario a police state by allowing the police to impound vehicles at will...I'm not going to feel guilty if some flatfoot crashes into a family by stupidly trying to chase me...leave the blame with the guilty, the officer with the poor discretion who gave chase when he should have known better.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:23 AM
Squid

randysway223 is on a distinguished road
I was riding with two of my buddies today and I pulled a wheelie for about 3 seconds. Unfortunately there was a cop four cars behind me. He "Pulled" me over at the next red light. I had no idea he was behind me.

I was sitting at the red light and the cop walks up behind me, grabs my arm, throws me off the bike and takes my key. I barely managed to keep my bike from falling over while being thrown off of it. He tells me to walk it over to the side walk.

I am 19 and have never been pulled over before / have never gotten any tickets.

Basically he got for...

1. Doing a wheelie
2. Apparently doing 120 in a 55. Although I know he didn't clock me, he was just talking **** because I was doing about 85. No ticket was given for this.
3. And wreckless driving.

Total of about $2000 in tickets, but he decided to give me warnings instead. Got off extremely lucky, and doubt I will ever do another wheelie lol.

This is in Florida by the way. A wheelie ticket will run you at minimum $1000.

Any one else gotten a ticket for wheelying?
Dude, I dont think you understand how easily you got off the hook. It's actually a pretty big deal. You'll have to goto court and it'll raise your insurance pretty steeply.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:10 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by randysway223
Dude, I dont think you understand how easily you got off the hook. It's actually a pretty big deal. You'll have to goto court and it'll raise your insurance pretty steeply.
Lol you don't think I know this... I know how extremely lucky I was. I practically gave the cop a hug when I found out he gave me a warning.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:35 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I went on a memorial ride with a group of riders that I didn't know a couple years ago. When I showed up I was told by one of the women riders that the leader of the ride would not be attending because he had pulled a wheelie on a bridge over the interstate and there was a cop on one of the adjacent roads who saw it. Instant night in jail, bike off to impound, embarrassment in front of about a hundred people, etc, etc, etc.

Because it was Saturday he couldn't see a magistrate until Monday so he spent the entire weekend in jail instead of being with his friends.

Any wheelie in Austin is a trip to jail with all the other baggage that goes with it. They call it exhibition acceleration. They enforce it on cagers as well. This guy was known (by the other bikers) as a very accomplished stunter and probably had the bike under full control all the time but under the circumstances if anything did go wrong - what a mess - a bridge over the interstate? At this point the freeway is eight lanes wide - 4 and 4. The cop doesn't know that you're an accomplished rider - all he knows is what he sees.

Quick Reply: Ever gotten a ticket for doing a wheelie?