General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Ever gotten a ticket for doing a wheelie?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Back Marker

Chrisguilday is on a distinguished road
Ever gotten a ticket for doing a wheelie?

I was riding with two of my buddies today and I pulled a wheelie for about 3 seconds. Unfortunately there was a cop four cars behind me. He "Pulled" me over at the next red light. I had no idea he was behind me.

I was sitting at the red light and the cop walks up behind me, grabs my arm, throws me off the bike and takes my key. I barely managed to keep my bike from falling over while being thrown off of it. He tells me to walk it over to the side walk.

I am 19 and have never been pulled over before / have never gotten any tickets.

Basically he got for...

1. Doing a wheelie
2. Apparently doing 120 in a 55. Although I know he didn't clock me, he was just talking **** because I was doing about 85. No ticket was given for this.
3. And wreckless driving.

Total of about $2000 in tickets, but he decided to give me warnings instead. Got off extremely lucky, and doubt I will ever do another wheelie lol.

This is in Florida by the way. A wheelie ticket will run you at minimum $1000.

Any one else gotten a ticket for wheelying?
Old 06-03-2013, 01:41 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Nope... It's not a ticketable offence as such in Sweden... They can use the equivalent of "wreckless endangerment" if they feel it's warranted, but then you are really pushing it to begin with, so I have no issues with that...

I have passed the local guys pulling a powerwheelie more than once and just gotten a friendly wave as I passed... But then we are talking about the front barely lifting a couple of inches, not going sky high... And obviously within the legal speed limit...

I can tell you that in my case, I'd not accept being physically pulled of the bike... I know it's a very different legal climate in Sweden vs the US in general, but at that point, knowing what I know about your legal system, I'd let the bike drop, and sue the *** of the cop/precinct for wrecking it...

Hand on the shoulder or arm, fine... Taking the key out or hitting the killswitch, fine... That's all about making sure I'm not going to run away... But if you start pulling on me when I'm sitting on a bike without the stand down, no, that's not OK in any way, regardless of the reason for it or if you have a badge...

He can act pro-actively to keep himself safe, but only up to the point where he puts someone else at risk... And when he pulls you off the bike that way, he risks tipping you and the bike over, possibly getting you hurt... And that's a big legal no-no for him to do over a speeding/reckles driving ticket... At that point I would not be in any way co-operative, what-so-ever... I'd have his badge number and him in court so fast it would make his head spin, ticket or warning doesn't matter, he'd still be answering questions about his behaviour...

Last edited by Tweety; 06-03-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
I can tell you that in my case, I'd not accept being physically pulled of the bike... I know it's a very different legal climate in Sweden vs the US in general, but at that point, knowing what I know about your legal system, I'd let the bike drop, and sue the *** of the cop/precinct for wrecking it...
Totally agree. I'm generally shocked if they are allowed to man handle you like that and pull you from the bike. It's not as if your an armed robber doing a runner. Maybe the cop knew he was in the wrong (possibly, like Tweety I don't know the law there) and that is the reason he only gave you a warning. Seems to me it was a cop on some kind of power trip and abusing his authority.

(:-})
Old 06-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Back Marker

Letsrideinsc
Wink

Wow, you are lucky. You were let off with a warning. Interesting how he took you off the bike. Are you leaving the frisking part out?
Old 06-03-2013, 01:10 PM
Back Marker

twinman is on a distinguished road
1000.00????? Seems kinda steep! I got busted awhile back in Wheeling WV. Fine was 250.00
Old 06-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Squid

Skidmarkart is on a distinguished road
Sucks you got pulled off your bike - that's definitely not cool, but if you got off $2k in tix and didn't get a ride in a police car for going 85 in a 55, you should consider yourself lucky. That's to say nothing of the insurance increase, potential trip to driving school etc.

Personally, I don't f**k with the police. Most are alright, if you are straight with them, and don't try to lie (you wouldn't believe the stuff I have gotten out of with a "sir, I am sorry, I know I was doing *insert stupid thing here*, I am a dumbass, but I was only putting myself in danger).

Plus, as a guy with a little more experience under my belt, you don't want to end up in court, paying a lawyer your hard earned cash to defend your word against a police officer - trust me on that one. You never win that fight.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:08 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
Sounds to me like he was way out of line. Though he let you off so I'd let it be. If he gave you the ticket now that'd be another story. I'd do as tweety said and be having a suit against the dept. and be having words with his Sargent.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
85 in a 55
I really don't know how you guys can reastrain yourselves to 55 Our equivelent of the Freeway is Max 70 but it's not uncommon for vehicles to be doing 80 and not have to worry about getting pulled. In fact it's not uncomon to be doing just under a 100 but you dont want to get caught or it's a fine and endorsements. 30mph over the speed limit is an instant ban, license revoked for a year or more if doing right up into silly triple figures.

(:-})
Old 06-03-2013, 03:17 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
I can't speak to Florida but here in SoCal if you were doing 55 you'd be roadkill! 65=85, 70=90. My last ticket was written for 84 but the fact is I was just over 100 when I crested the hill and saw the Highway Patrol w/radar.

I simply grabbed the brakes and got her stopped and pulled over a couple hundred feet in front of him. He actually locked me up at 99, He wrote it up and thanked me for not making him "pursue" me. Because it was under 85 I got to go to traffic school!

Here in CA 100+ mph is big trouble!
Old 06-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
You were lucky man. Years ago I got a "reckless driving" BS ticket from a lovely Orange County CHP claiming I had popped a wheelie. My front wheel had lifted maybe 1/2" off the ground as I was taking off a traffic light and accelerating toward a freeway ramp.

The cop followed me and pulled me over on the freeway. I had no idea wtf was going on until he spoke. I told him: "Officer, there was NO wheelie, the front lost contact with the ground for a fraction of a second because of the acceleration, the road is uphill and I have a 30lbs backpack etc etc....well bottom line officer dick gave me the reckless driving ticket which is a misdemeanor in Cali and goes on your penal record. So I fought that **** in court and won. Costed me $360 in legal fees but it was worth it.

Sorry for the minority of good cops out there, but I must say it. **** the police
Old 06-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Squid

RegularGuy is on a distinguished road
I never have, but my ex-sister in law did. She pulled a wheelie in front of a high school, when she saw the cop she got on the freeway and took off. Felony evasion and reckless endangerment.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:29 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
(Former) E L officer
I would have driven along behind you, called ahead for a road block, and possible a spike strip, and just have asked you to step off the bike,
Read you -your Miranda. your bike would have been impounded.
You, would have gotten to try on bracelets, charges would pend for 24hrs, on where 1) 15mphs above posted- 1yr suspension of license
2) Reckless endangerment
Plus court cost and fines..........
Bet you were wearing -T-shirt, shorts, and sneakers,tennis socks and a helmet.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
^^ Good use of tax payers money. Gotta get that economy rolling....
Old 06-03-2013, 07:21 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
good thing cops never profile or assume.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by 1971allchaos
(Former) E L officer
I would have driven along behind you, called ahead for a road block, and possible a spike strip, and just have asked you to step off the bike,
Read you -your Miranda. your bike would have been impounded.
You, would have gotten to try on bracelets, charges would pend for 24hrs, on where 1) 15mphs above posted- 1yr suspension of license
2) Reckless endangerment
Plus court cost and fines..........
Bet you were wearing -T-shirt, shorts, and sneakers,tennis socks and a helmet.
Your a dick.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:43 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
So I guess you WERE wearing sneakers and shorts, LOL...

Seriously. In Florida, 1st offense for "carrying one wheel in the air" will cost you a grand. 2nd time, $5000 and one year suspension, 3rd time is $10,000 and lifetime DL revocation. You know that and yet you still do it?

I'm not saying the cop was in the right... But I also know there are always two sides to every story (three, actually.) If you want to play, be prepared to pay my friend.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:57 PM
Back Marker

No I was actually wearing gear. Well, half gear.

Any one that would deliberately screw your life over like what allchaos suggested is a dick without knowing the story. You are literally screwing that person over for a long long time. I did some thing stupid at the cost of my own life. No one else was near me, it was an open road and the only cars around were over a half mile behind me.

A ticket I can understand. Hell, even if you threw me in jail for a day plus tickets I'd understand. But to have your bike impounded, restrict my license for a year and give me an ankle bracelet PLUS all the tickets he suggested is without a doubt the typical cop dick move that every body wants thrown out. From what I gathered from his post, he is a power hungry cop just like all the ones we hate. I wonder why he isn't a cop any more. Probably got suspended.

Just to be clear, I think the cop I encountered handled the situation very well. He was a very nice cop, if not maybe too nice. I should of been ticketed. I thanked the cop and shook his hand at the end of our encounter. He was maybe too stern when he took my key but I understand his reasoning, although I don't justify it at all. Almost caused me to fall.

Last edited by Chrisguilday; 06-03-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:54 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Cops suck.
You're giving that cop way too much credit.
He's just another hired thug with a badge, a costume and a gun.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:45 AM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
A-fuxin-men. I've known more than a few pigs and they are no help to anyone ever. No matter what happens I wish to never see another one.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Squid

Arstine is on a distinguished road
I have had my share of harassment by police so I am usually the first to criticize and point out the fault in their actions...when they make a mistake.

But you people that blatantly do something against the law then try to blame the police for doing their job just do not make sense.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:30 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Arstine
I have had my share of harassment by police so I am usually the first to criticize and point out the fault in their actions...when they make a mistake.

But you people that blatantly do something against the law then try to blame the police for doing their job just do not make sense.
I would say ChrisGuild, your a SQUID, Yet the point I am attempt to make...,Is pointed out by a MORE intellegent squid.

I have bought three superhawks, for what you will pay in fines... Please continue, stupid...

Last edited by 1971allchaos; 06-07-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by 1971allchaos
I would say ChrisGuild, your a douche bag, Yet the point I am attempt to make...,Is pointed out by a MORE intellegent squid.

I have bought three superhawks, for what you will pay in fines... Please continue, stupid...
If your going to call me out as unintelligent, you might wanna look at your grammar first. You're making yourself look dumb.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:12 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Hey guys let's keep it civil, we all know the rules!
Old 06-04-2013, 12:28 PM
Back Marker

WhOrD is on a distinguished road
1. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
2. All reward with no risk, what's the fun in that.
3. Superhawk is my first bike, I refuse to become another statistic and keep both wheels down.
4. Think about how everyone who loves you would feel (including their wallet) if you wrecked hard.
5. I would have fined the **** out of you and suspended your license if that were an option.

I really REALLY try hard to be a mature 30 year old squid, but when I get passed by other Sports bikes (in the same lane @ 100mph+) in the fast lane when I am already going ~ 85mph. It really lowers the respect I have for those (you) who are already taking a great amount of risk BEING on this machine in the first place while also endangering the lives of those riding / driving around you who want NOTHING to do with your "antics."

Granted I am no angel and have my fair share of "history" while driving the old Cobra which I look back on with both relief and <evil smiles>.

I will say, get yourself a Go Pro Camera, having the VIDEO to show the disrespect and way the officer treated you is much more beneficial, just give a copy on DVD to the shift supervisor. (It may not have any impact on your situation, however I am assured the Supervisor will have words with the officer and they will think twice about how they treat ANYONE in the future.) It is also an asset if you ever get into an accident which the driver argues was your fault and wasn't.

Best wishes & regards. Stay safe & keep it classy,

Last edited by WhOrD; 06-04-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by WhOrD
1. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
2. All reward with no risk, what's the fun in that.
3. Superhawk is my first bike, I refuse to become another statistic and keep both wheels down.
4. Think about how everyone who loves you would feel (including their wallet) if you wrecked hard.
5. I would have fined the **** out of you and suspended your license if that were an option.

I really REALLY try hard to be a mature 30 year old squid, but when I get passed by other Sports bikes (in the same lane @ 100mph+) in the fast lane when I am already going ~ 85mph. It really lowers the respect I have for those (you) who are already taking a great amount of risk BEING on this machine in the first place while also endangering the lives of those riding / driving around you who want NOTHING to do with your "antics."

Granted I am no angel and have my fair share of "history" while driving the old Cobra which I look back on with both relief and <evil smiles>.

I will say, get yourself a Go Pro Camera, having the VIDEO to show the disrespect and way the officer treated you is much more beneficial, just give a copy on DVD to the shift supervisor. (It may not have any impact on your situation, however I am assured the Supervisor will have words with the officer and they will think twice about how they treat ANYONE in the future.) It is also an asset if you ever get into an accident which the driver argues was your fault and wasn't.

Best wishes & regards. Stay safe & keep it classy,
I agree. However I wasn't doing 100+ mph. My speedo said around 80. Which is really about 72 mph. I have never gotten a ticket / warning in my life. This is my first one and I have put over 13k miles on the various sport bikes I have owned. I'm sure when you were 19 you screwed up too and did stupid things. You can't have a double standard.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:11 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Chrisguilday
No I was actually wearing gear. Well, half gear.

Any one that would deliberately screw your life over like what allchaos suggested is a dick without knowing the story. You are literally screwing that person over for a long long time. I did some thing stupid at the cost of my own life. No one else was near me, it was an open road and the only cars around were over a half mile behind me.

A ticket I can understand. Hell, even if you threw me in jail for a day plus tickets I'd understand. But to have your bike impounded, restrict my license for a year and give me an ankle bracelet PLUS all the tickets he suggested is without a doubt the typical cop dick move that every body wants thrown out. From what I gathered from his post, he is a power hungry cop just like all the ones we hate. I wonder why he isn't a cop any more. Probably got suspended.

Just to be clear, I think the cop I encountered handled the situation very well. He was a very nice cop, if not maybe too nice. I should of been ticketed. I thanked the cop and shook his hand at the end of our encounter. He was maybe too stern when he took my key but I understand his reasoning, although I don't justify it at all. Almost caused me to fall.
Actually, before you bash on 1971allchaos for his grammar, try having a look at your own reading comprehension...

He didn't say anything about ankle bracelet... He said, bracelets, as in meaning handcuffs... And the rest of what he said... Well, as far as I know, that is the correct legal reprecussions for the actual infractions you commited... So why bash on him for stating that? Would it then be fair if I whished you to actually suffer having your bike impounded, since you are speculated about him getting suspended, which is paramount to a personal attack, something you have agreed to not do on the forum the minute you signed up?

And, in your later posts, you say the cop "took your key", not "pulled you off the bike" as you first said... So... Which was it?

I'm NOT on the side of breaking the law... The law I live and operate under doesn't specifically say I can't pull a wheelie... But it does say that endangering a motorist by pulling one off a bike isn't legal, but taking possesion of the key is, if it's based on keeping himself protected...

Just clarifying, since the thread seems filled with boneheads...
Old 06-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Tweety
Actually, before you bash on 1971allchaos for his grammar, try having a look at your own reading comprehension...

He didn't say anything about ankle bracelet... He said, bracelets, as in meaning handcuffs... And the rest of what he said... Well, as far as I know, that is the correct legal reprecussions for the actual infractions you commited... So why bash on him for stating that? Would it then be fair if I whished you to actually suffer having your bike impounded, since you are speculated about him getting suspended, which is paramount to a personal attack, something you have agreed to not do on the forum the minute you signed up?

And, in your later posts, you say the cop "took your key", not "pulled you off the bike" as you first said... So... Which was it?

I'm NOT on the side of breaking the law... The law I live and operate under doesn't specifically say I can't pull a wheelie... But it does say that endangering a motorist by pulling one off a bike isn't legal, but taking possesion of the key is, if it's based on keeping himself protected...

Just clarifying, since the thread seems filled with boneheads...
He took my key and pulled me off my bike.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:16 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Killemall
^^ Good use of tax payers money. Gotta get that economy rolling....
Actually a spike strip is re-usable, so it's actually making profit the more it's used... Just saying...

And a roadblock is a much better way of stopping someone on a bike than a myriad of other ways that I have seen and heard about... Less risk of injury to the rider and anyone else... Grabbing someone at a stoplight isn't a risk free proposal...
Old 06-04-2013, 01:50 PM
SuperSport

Made My Point-and was just giving an opinion...
Began my Duties in Law in Dade Co. Florida.
And have been the squid on two wheels.
As for personal opinions of the thread- I appreciate to NON-bias opinions from other members.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:07 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
I have ran into some bad cops and great cops. I generally get the feeling though, that those who seek that type of job are exactly the people that should not be in those positions. Just like politicians.... After all the dumb stuff i have done in my life I could never with good conscience disrupt someone elses life for the same thing i simply never got caught for. I know there are some true blues out there, i know some. LEOs are needed and should be respected but too many let the power get to them.

Quick Reply: Ever gotten a ticket for doing a wheelie?