General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

DYNOJET POLL ! TORQUE POCKETS FOUND

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 07:14 PM
Back Marker

call me phil
Re: DYNOJET POLL ! TORQUE POCKETS FOUND

clevland, you must really love this bike, i would have burned it long time ago! i give you much credit for sticking it out! you will get it just persevere and the problems will be solved.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:05 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

clevland, you must really love this bike
lol, yes i do .. well, every day it gets dialed in more. hell, i love this carb science so much, i may drop law school and go to MMI for schooling ! ! ! hahah. (wonder how much they make workin on bikes?)

what is your bike temperature at on the analog gauge when warm after 10 minutes of stop and go 35mph???? analog only, mine was right before half way and maybe a nibble after. think mines high, which is a sign of running lean/rich?

anyways, rode it 10 miles today in city somewhat busy traffic.
heres the results from going from clip 5 (yesterday) to clip 4 from the flat end:

1. bike will take about 5 minutes to warm, then idle correctly, if i hold it at 2.5k on the kickstand, itll slowly put down until itll stall.

2. when it finally warms up, i can wheelie and rip up and down the street, BUT THE BIGGEST THING THAT PLAGUES ME STILL is that after 5 minutes of riding yeasterday on clip 5 and 15 minutes today on clip 4 THE IDLE will drop to like 900 rpm and then the bike COMPLETELY loses its "crispness" or when i flick the throttle, it wont rip up to higher rpm.... very weird. i guess ill try clip 3 tomorrow... cant be any lower than that , right? then after 5 minutes of that, it went back to normal... though, when it idles low at 900 rpm without me changin it, its like a 300cc vtwin.. no crap real weird. i think its loading up, leends to be lean.

3. my idle MIX SCREWS ARE AT 2 1/4. i heard that to stop backfiring you can mess with these. only other thing is that when the bike IS running correctly and the torque and crisp throttle is there, i get a backfire right after i rev it up at idle to 4k itll pop.. i mean as the throttle goes down from the very top, POP! . well, funny thing is, when the idle drops mid-ride, and theres ABSOLUTELY no power.... the popping stops. messed up eh... im callin dynojet man tomorrow

just lookin for ideas... no biggie. i can be a nuisance but i just wouldnt mind cutting a corner if you guys know...
Old 04-13-2005, 03:23 PM
Back Marker

call me phil

cleavland, as far as your question of the temp gauge goes, mine sits just past halfway in stop and go traffic at about 70 F air temp (bought my bike last week of sept, hasnt been warmer than that yet!), but dont worry about high temps as long as your fan works ok. also, my bike is HEAVILY modified, with very expensive true dual equal headers with an h-pipe or as ducatti calls it "spaghetti" exhaust. my bike will not run on its own in temp below 50 for at least 2 mins. even if i leave the "choke" **** on. the pop sound on decel after hard accel sounds normal, you have to remember that fuel is still going into cyliders at a very rapid pace when you let off the throttle, not all that fuel is being burnt when you let off the throttle and the "backfire" you are hearing is probably the fuel burning in your headers. since you have race pipes, it is going to be more noticable than with regular or even aftermarket pipes. listen to a stock car go around in a circle and let off the gas, sounds like hell! as far as cutting corners when dialing in carbs, no such thing! take your time, i have spent days on a dyno stroking every last bit of power out of a demon street carb for a pontiac 400 and still didnt get it perfect for another couple of days. carbs are very complex, i dont care what anybody says. take your time, take many breaks, and keep the faith!
Old 04-14-2005, 05:51 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

ideas ideas... ok guys, ill be rockin today and this weekend.... thanks a lot.... i hope that nasty stumble at 3k goes bye bye....

this is it though... did some thorough test yesterday. went to clip one, yes, it ran like crap.
HOWEVER, when im at a stop sign, the rpm you have to go to to get from stop to go smoothly is where it stumbles... IN FACT GUYS, i can hold it there at like 3k, and its almost like im flooding it . like lets say i held it for 2 seconds. the rpm's slow sput sput down , and it STALLS. thats it. so when im tryin to go 30mph in a 25mph zone, its near impossible cus it pop pops and jerks like mad.

i just wanna make sure its not the slow jet thats all cus the only real problem resides at like 1/16 of a a throttle.. the dynojet guy said to remove the 180/185 and go to 175-180 cus the main jet still may be loading all that fuel into the cylinders... so ill do that today. then put needles at 4. but when i did that... it ran great but still loaded up and turned to a 500cc moto scooter after 10 min of drivin . we shall see. i see it as a learning experience... my friends think im nuts.

thanks again guys :wink:
Old 04-14-2005, 02:16 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

hey, patience is my middle name. i love this stuff. yes, ofcourse i did . well, tslked to the dyno men... im gonna try in 45 minutes simply openin the air mix screws to 3/14 , which is 1/2 turn more than ive done. theyre thinkin its either the mix screws since its so LOW on the throttle, or slow jet/idle jet needs to be bigger to compensate for my open pipes. we shall see. :P
Old 04-19-2005, 09:50 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

got it guys... runs like a top. guess i was hooking to the wrong vaccuum niple on the petcock? i was hooking to the big one pointing down and not the smaller diameter one pointing to the side... well ,i tested other things, and the only things i changed was the float bowl overflow tubes i pulled out of the middle of the carbs and pointed them down and raised the needles to the 5th instead of the 4th setting. thats it.. couldnt have fixed it... and i tested both vaccuum nipples and both made fuel shoot out of the fuel nipple ends. i guess the smaller one is constant. i dunno. weird. but it runs like a frikkin top now. thanks for all the help! and if you need some tips, talk to KYLE from dynojet, he has a rc51 and knows our VTR's . tell em jeremy sent ya, and he'll roll his eyes (well, im sure he would be you cant tell over the phone :wink: )
Old 04-20-2005, 07:25 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt

Second time I've heard this in a week. The "nipple" on the bottom of the fuel diaphram is not a nipple. The vacuum hose goes on the back, not the bottom.