General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

DYNOJET POLL ! TORQUE POCKETS FOUND

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
DYNOJET POLL ! TORQUE POCKETS FOUND

hey guys, ordered the dynojet for only 66.12 ( http://www.motorcycleproshop.com/det...uct_id=DJ-1185 ) . so instead of messin around with stock jets, and seeing how its HALF the price of other kits for bikes, i got it. its comin in on friday. not familiar with what works the best with our sweet **** bikes.

BUT ,

i wanna know in a few short sentences whose got the sweet setup and what jets you used for the DYNOJET brand jet kit #1185 to get to your ample torque and smooth throttle when the carb goes from one jet to the next while accelerating. EX: 185/190 mains and 2 turns out on a/f screws or....whatever)
i got a 98 , with very open MIG high mount pipes, no special air filter or nothin. just pipes with the tps mod , and pair flaps were flipped. thats it. am gonna put it in on thursday i hope. thanks guys

pic below is to inspire thought
Old 04-05-2005, 12:19 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
This will be an interesting thread, but jetting won't be the same on every bike.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:06 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
Re: DYNOJET POLL ! TORQUE POCKETS FOUND

interesting indeed .well, you should only have at the most 10 variations, seeing how you either have a:

1. free flowing aftermarket pipe OR semi restricted

2. stock or aftermarket air filter

3. can only be a VTR

4. can only be a dynojet STAGE ONE

so it shouldnt be too bad. other than small mods like no tps or tps adjustment and pair removal or no pair removal. maybe ill be completely wrong, but i just want an average so i can start from there . cutting corners yes lol
Old 04-05-2005, 02:26 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with you Cleveland.

IMO we should have this base line set up in the knowledge base. I'm about to do the TPS and Dynojet mod sometime this month and it would be nice if it was all in one thread.

Wasn't it 2 and a half turns out??
Old 04-05-2005, 02:27 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
You can get close but jetting is really bike specific, not model specfic.

Here's your starting point:
pilot jets stock
pilot needles 2.5 turns out
needles on the middle clip position
Mains, one size over, no more

Most likely, you'll have the 3,000-3,500 stumble. If you do, richen the needles one setting.

This, BTW, is the same advice I'd give for any rejetted bike of any kind. A big mistake people make with jetting is to go big as a shortcut.

Anyway, lets see what others have found.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:02 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

good stuff... though, i am looking for more specific results that work for EACH superhawk. like :

"i have a vtr1000f 2004 with micron exhaust cans, stock headers, and stock air filter. i use 180 for front and 185 for rear carb and 2 turns out on air screws. "

otherwise, its all greek.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

hmm, no one has dynojet kits here? ? ? what about the acclaimed flat spot at 5k ? just kiddin looked at tracking number... its comin tomorrow. just wanted some more input....
Old 04-07-2005, 05:13 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
That's basically an idle drop procedure. Generally, though, you richen the mixture slightly after finding the highest revs.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:30 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

you know what.... put the dyno in... still same problem, i tried the first clip from the flat top of the non pointey end, all the way to the 4th one. every time, same crap... good idle... crack to half throttle, and a bubbling like out of gas around 2.5k , wait 1 second, and then it rips up in the rpm's. if i slowly go up so it hits 2.5-4k and hold my throttle hand steady when in neutral , it bummbles up and down, then lowers in rpms like its gonna stall. i think i need a slow jet change as you say. i have stock 45's.... if i change to 48's, im assuming itll make a difference(less or more fuel at 1/4 throttle when going to higher number for slow jet?). i hope, the throttle past 5k is awesome, no popping or nothing, just quick transition while cold or warm from idle to rippin it open will gurgle then rip up. aint that the slow jet? i change fuel mix screws from 1.5 to 3 , 1.75 being a better idle. have in there now 180 185 1.75 out and 4th from flat end of needles and still the same. its 4:30 AM , and i tried everything with the fule mix screws... it aint that, so im PRESUMING that the slow jet is the one the throttle uses to transition from idle to main jet??? all i know is its doin the same thing as before i put in the jet with MIG high mounts and stock air filter. gotta be that damn slo jet! i am tired. hope i am making sense. get back to me please!!!

p.s. the air screw tool looks just like a .223 rifle casing with a D end to adjust. i simply dremeled the end of the screw on the carbs and can reach it with this hose i makeshifted. FYI, the tool is comletely round, so you have to make "half marks' to know how many turns you went out/in
Old 04-08-2005, 07:05 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

hello mr. threadjacker . yes, all you do is pull of the carbs and look under the black end caps and pull the needles... if they have an adjustment clip, its aftermarket. to confirm you must pull the main jets to see if they dont have the honda stamp serial model crap on em too.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:32 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ClevelandSuperhawkRumble";p=&quot
i tried the first clip from the flat top of the non pointey end, all the way to the 4th one. every time, same crap... good idle... crack to half throttle, and a bubbling like out of gas around 2.5k , wait 1 second, and then it rips up in the rpm's.
Dude, you are going the wrong way just as I did. According the dyno-jet's instructions, 4th is the normal start point for a typical setup. Drop it "down" to the 5th slot (counting down from the flat end) and all will probably be well. They call this going "up" on the needle which what confused me.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:47 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

bling. i doubt itll help, seeing how i talked to dynojet dude named kirk today, and he said i have the washers in the wrong place. you use the stock washer closer to the tip than the dyno washer, WHICH is behind the e-clip(or simply closer to the flat end) . in other word your supposed to sandwhich the eclip with the two washers, the stock being closest to the pointy tip. well. I HAD THEM BOTH in front of the eclip, THUS bringing me theoretically to the #5 clip when i was really on 4. 8) i hope im not on crack and you see what im sayin. i had the needle pulled out of the carb hole with 2 washers stacked just as much as with one washer and one clip closer to point... well, sorta. i think its that damn slow jet... i wish i could get one online , but i wanna play right now im itchin, weather is gettin good. he said FORGET the idle mix screws. set it, and thats it.... he said screw the slow jet.... and just mess around with the needle. that was his advise
Old 04-08-2005, 03:04 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt

Originally Posted by ClevelandSuperhawkRumble";p=&quot
you know what.... put the dyno in... still same problem, i tried the first clip from the flat top of the non pointey end, all the way to the 4th one. every time, same crap... good idle... crack to half throttle, and a bubbling like out of gas around 2.5k , wait 1 second, and then it rips up in the rpm's. if i slowly go up so it hits 2.5-4k and hold my throttle hand steady when in neutral , it bummbles up and down, then lowers in rpms like its gonna stall. i think i need a slow jet change as you say. i have stock 45's.... if i change to 48's, im assuming itll make a difference(less or more fuel at 1/4 throttle when going to higher number for slow jet?). i hope, the throttle past 5k is awesome, no popping or nothing, just quick transition while cold or warm from idle to rippin it open will gurgle then rip up. aint that the slow jet?
The burble/stumble usually indicates a rich condition also called loading. To fix this, you'd raise the clip higher on the needle (lowering the needle.)

Pilot jets are idle jets. The needle itself controls midrange fueling. If the pilot jets are too big, it can contribute to the problem but it doesn't sound like the cause.

I'll be interested to see how this turns out.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:28 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

well, i think i tried that (again, up till 4:30 doin this) , you know, the closest ring to the flat end to dip the needles in, and it still stunk... but ill do it again. if its still rich, ill have to get 2 new slow jets from 45# to 42# i guess. i mean, if i go to in on the mix scrws (ie: 1 - 1.5) what automatic telltale signs will i see for a lean condition? i definitly dont have the tach to do that crap so.... i mean if its lean, and im at 1.5 turns and the needles are in as far as they go... what can i do hahah. i love this stuff. no really.... learn a lot. thanks guys
Old 04-08-2005, 03:49 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
I can't remember but isn't stock a 38? If so a 45 is way too big. I'd only go up one size on the pilots. I'll bet your mixture screws don't do much do they?

But I still think you have some problem with the needle circuit. It is unlikely that the proper needles would need to be full in and still not run lean.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:12 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

yup, you got it, they dont do squat. i mean, if i go to 3 out, itll run horribly. oh yeah... just so you know... when i test rode it-as i stated in another reply- it was runnin like poop. couldnt hold idle. so i opened the throttle, killed the kill switch, and pressed the starter to UNFOUL the plugs. then fired it up and boom, it worked great until about 5 seconds. so yeah, im runnin rich, but the rest of the circuit(ie: main jet) is fine. just from 2-3k and tryin to hold it there. it bumbles and then lowers to like 1.5, until i yank it to hit the main jet.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:25 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Well, that part will be easy to fix. Fix that, put the needles in the middle and then see what happens to the midrange.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:46 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Just checked and I have to take it back. The stock pilot jet is a 45. So something else is wrong. Could the last guy have drilled it?
Old 04-08-2005, 07:17 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Agreed. Something is very wrong.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

got it guys , after talking to a repair guy in a dealership..... he was like "oh man, you got MIG high mounts?!?!?! those are old racing pipes, you know how open those things are?" ok, so i got the jist. these MIG pipes are like d&d race pipes were for my cbr... loud and OPEN ! meaning, i GOTTA be lean. so i put that e clip on the 6th slot, the one closest to the sharp point... and boom , no more flat spotting. it needed gas... SIGH.... well thanks for everyones help ! ! ! this forum is priceless. its just so weird that theyre such open pipes they need it on the 6th ring with the stock washer for the shim. . . bet no one else on here is on 6th ring! . my air screws are 2 turns out btw.

well anyhoo, got another question...

i am thinking of adding a washer or 2 to shim the needles more.. but am going to test ride it more to see by seat of the pants if it needs it. what signs do i look for when i know i put too many or have too less washers shimming the needle? i mean right now, while on its kickstand, i was reving it to 6k rpm and it backfired with a crisp "POP" from the exhaust... havent heard that one yet. but i think it may be a hair lean still.. i dunno. it was lean as hell before fixin it and i heard no coughin from the airbox which your supposed to hear when its lean. anyways... im gonna ride here tomorrow, so keep me posted as to what signs i should look for to give it more juice than air(add a washer) , or not to. thanks a million
Old 04-09-2005, 07:11 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
I can't see how your solution addresses your described problems but nothing argues with success. Don't be too quick to move beyond the jet kit parameters.

You're running an unusually rich midrange configuration with a very lean idle circuit adjustment. And before you described a rich idle circuit as your symptom. Any particular variation in the free-flow of the mig system is going to be offset by the high mount anyway.

Anyway, I'm glad you got it fixed.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:29 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

I told you to go up (numerically) but you didn't listen! LMAO. Cool, you got it dialed in.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:54 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

ok ok, bling, so im a moron. anyways, i will richin my mix screws more seeing how i know NOW that theyre not the problem... anyways,,, ill keep ya posted as to what happens. im still tryin to rig something to the front mix screw to mess with the idle without payin 100$ for that gay tool . ciao :P
Old 04-10-2005, 10:04 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

jschmidt, you know what i was thinkin?? if im at 180 jet in front and 185 jet in rear.... dont you think i should fling em up to 185 190 seeing how i am on the 6th ring now for the neeedles-meaning i have a boat load of air from the pipes and need a fair amount of gas to compensate for them- im thinkin my top end will be fluttery once i get it out tomorrow from lack of gas. i mean, wouldnt it be almost a no brainer to switch the mains out to one step higher now seeing how high i am on the needles for mid-throttle? am i ranting? :wink:
Old 04-10-2005, 04:42 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
It would make sense that you could benefit from larger mains but bikes don't come so lean on the top end like they do on the bottom end.

Quick Reply: DYNOJET POLL ! TORQUE POCKETS FOUND