General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Dunlop D220

Old 09-29-2005, 06:17 AM
Back Marker

bkelsey
Dunlop D220

I've got a rear D220 sitting at home waiting for me to get off my *** and mount it. I thought the stock front looked like it would get me through to next spring, but upon further review it's cupped pretty bad. I want to change it as well and change the steering head bearings out to tapered rollers.

Just looking for input on the D220 rear and either a D220 or D208 front.

70 mile round trip days, mostly back roads, all PA weather conditions until it get's frigid.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:22 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by bkelsey";p=&quot
I've got a rear D220 sitting at home waiting for me to get off my *** and mount it. I thought the stock front looked like it would get me through to next spring, but upon further review it's cupped pretty bad. I want to change it as well and change the steering head bearings out to tapered rollers.

Just looking for input on the D220 rear and either a D220 or D208 front.

70 mile round trip days, mostly back roads, all PA weather conditions until it get's frigid.
I put 220s on in January & they were toast by May. Not sure of miles, but the least I've ever gotten from a tire.
Put 208s on in May. I think I'll get another thou or 2 out of them. Stick great & ride nice. Haven't had them in the rain much...but I felt insecure in the wet.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:34 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by bkelsey";p=&quot
I want to change it as well and change the steering head bearings out to tapered rollers.
Do you have a bearing problem?

Mine has a distinct "catch", with a click or clunk, every time I brake hard. It does it as the fork compresses & does it again as it rebounds back. I noticed it also does it if I put the front tire against a wall & push down on the forks hard, with the brakes off.
Handlebars turn smoothly & I put the frontend up & checked for looseness. No slack there.
I did notice that theres also a clicking noise coming from the front caliper area when I pull on the lever while the bike is in the garage. Maybe a piston sticking or something?
Old 09-29-2005, 09:29 AM
Back Marker

bkelsey
I think the bearings are fine, but I've had problems with front end wobble, and tire cupping on my VFR before, and the tapered roller bearings cleared up the problem.

So you're saying you're getting more mileage out of Dunlops "Utlra-High-Performance Street" tire than their "High-Performance/Sport-Touring" tire?
Old 09-29-2005, 12:06 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: Dunlop D220

I ran a 208f/220r combo on a VFR and loved it. Good stick in both the dry and wet but I could only get about 4500 miles out of a rear and it tends to wear quickly at the end (goes from wear bars to cords very quick). Note: that was on a summer trip in the south with lot's of interstate droning at 80+mph@42psi. YMMV (literally)
Old 09-29-2005, 01:30 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
l8rgyz your forks could have stiction problem. Loosen the axle pinch bolts, then without using the brakes,(put it againts a wall or something), Push down hard on the forks a few times. This should even them out and get rid of that if that's the problem. Otherwise maybe a bad bearing not showing it's lose.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:59 AM
Back Marker

bkelsey
Thread bump after 4000 miles on a set of D220's

Rear is about gone. The front may last for another rear, but has started to cup. But then every front tire I've ever had on 70K miles on a VFR and 9K on the VTR has cupped to some degree. I'm running stock pressures, anyone run any higher?

No other complaints, other than I was hoping for more mileage from the rear. I know, I was warned. Worked well in all conditions.

Now on with the search for a sport-touring tire that will give me more than 5K miles. Doesn't seem like too much to ask for. I actually got 5K out of the stock D204 pieces of crap, but that front looked like a lasagna noodle at the end.

Anybody have mileage experience with B020/B010 combo, or Pilot Roads?
Old 06-02-2006, 06:59 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
The B020 rear wears well but stay away from the 010 front (now discontinued anyhow) as it is very prone to cupping. I am told the 014 is much better in that regard.

I have heard (from IceBud) that the Pilot Roads are a great all-round sport-touring tire combo (good grip in all condtions and wears well)

cheers
Mikstr
Old 06-02-2006, 07:13 AM
Superstock

denmah
ive always run dunlop 208s on my bikes that would accept 180 55 17s

when i bought my hawk it had diablo corsas on it, maaaaan were they sticky and they wore out quick, the whole bike felt and handled different with those tires (obviously) but more than i would have expected, even when you werent pushing it they just felt like you were glued!

the 208s are more than enough for me. and they last! and they were $208 for front and rear! my local shop had a deal on a set.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:57 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

penst8grad
Kelsey, where are you at? I was going to go with pilot roads, but a friend that has a shop can get me killer deals on dunlops. If you are riding in the same climate and conditions (commute with occasional hard weekends etc) I may give the 220's a try.

How were they grip in dry/wet?

About the 010/020 combo, that's what I have always used. They have discontinued the 010 so I maight try something else. I go through ~ 2 rears for every front with that combination.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:53 AM
Squid

redsuperhawk
I replaced the original D204s with D207s. I got decent mileage out of them, but the front cupped terribly.

I replaced them with D208s, and not only has the front cupped, but the rear was down to the cords in less than 4000 miles. Plus I think they handled like crap in the rain and never felt really secure.

I was majorly disappointed in the D208s, so I just switched the rear to a Continental Road Attack. The front will be switched soon. I went with a more sport-touring oriented tire because I mainly do commuting, have never done a track day and don't even get many rides in just for the joy of it.

So far the Conti has been good. I only have 100 miles on the rear, so I can't make a completely informed ride report yet.

No experience with the D220.

Jeff
redsuperhawk
Old 06-02-2006, 10:16 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I ran an 208/220 f/r combo in preparation for a cross crountry trip to the gap. Had about 800-1000 miles on them before I left. I barely, and I mean barely, got home on cords (full circumference) on the rear 220. 4500miles. Front was fine.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:40 AM
Back Marker

bkelsey
penst8grad,

I'm between Huntingdon and State College. I've got a 70 mile commute to work in Tipton and back. I've had the Pilot Roads on my VFR and I liked them as well and got more mileage than the D220's. Different bike, but the wear shouldn't be that different. The Pilot Roads are more expensive though.

Don't know why they can't put a little more meat in the center of the rear of a sport touring tire. Probably so we can buy new ones every 5K miles.

I'm thinking my next test is a BT020 on the rear, and then replacing the front with a BT014 or something when it's due.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd run the 208. If mileage is an issue I'd get a Pilot Power instead.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:20 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by redsuperhawk
I replaced the original D204s with D207s. I got decent mileage out of them, but the front cupped terribly.
Jeff
redsuperhawk

What is do you mean by cupped? What does it look like? new word for me....
Old 06-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Squid

JesseW.
i am getting a full set of pilot roads in a couple of days. i've mainly run just pirrelli diablos on my bike since i've had it. when i first bought it a year ago it had 010's on it, the rear was done for and the front was cupped badly. now i'm on my third diablo rear (average 2700 miles out of one) and 1st front. the front still has a little tread left and has not cupped at all.

my brother (TL1000r), friend(duc ST4s) and uncle(ZRX1100) are all running pilot roads and convinced me to to try a set. they are all getting around 6000 miles out of the rear tire and they all ride really hard on the street. so i thought i'd give them a try since i have a lot more interstate commutes than i used to. (not by choice).

to feel if your front tire is cupped, run you hand against the tread pattern and you can feel the rubber raised a bit on the back side. sometimes a cupped tire will cause the front end to vibrate.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

penst8grad
Originally Posted by bkelsey
penst8grad,

I'm between Huntingdon and State College.
I ride with friends in SC. I'm a little south of Williamsport.

I'm still not sure what to do. Rear has lots of miles left, but front it toast and I need inspection by end of the month. I could get another front, or try a set of pilot roads.

Decisions...Decisions
Old 06-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Squid

JesseW.
i got the pilot roads on mine and like them so far, they handle really well. the only difference i've had in them is around a certain slow speed curve in 2nd gear the rear tire likes to step out when i give it some (ok a LOT) of gas. (also the tires were kind of cold and i had never tried it with the diablos so they may have done it too) other than that i really like them, and it's giving me the feel for drifting the rear. i need to quit that though before i high side.

i can give a better report in 3 weeks when i get to go home from college and hit some nice 25 mph curves that i've been taking at 75mph on the diablos
Old 06-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk
I don't mind mismatching, tends to get interesting sometimes. Right now Diablo on the front (maybe 3500m) and D220 rear (only 1K). Love the Diablo... damn thing still looks good ... I know after these are both gone I should try the Qualifier ... but love that Diablo, so time will tell.