General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Don't mess with somethin that ain't broke....I'll never learn

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 05:21 AM
Going Mach Chicken
Squid

RequestTheOverhead is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Don't mess with somethin that ain't broke....I'll never learn

Getting ready to go on a trip with the Hawk to Oshkosh for EAA Airventure, so need to get-er trip worthy. I had a small leak in the coolant tube running from the thermostat up to the front cylinder head (PITA by the way). Managed to replace it without completely taking the carbs off. The PAIR system was removed by the previous owner but the caps were starting to deteriorate, so I bought new ones to replace them. Well, I ended up getting cap-happy and put caps on everything except the petcock vacuum hose and oil breathers.

Got everything back together to get ready for a carb sync, started it up, and it started missing on 1 cylinder. After a couple attempts, I removed all the caps and tried again. It ran a little better, but won't idle worth a damn. I gave up after that since it was late.

Somethings of note:
After the attempts, there was some smoke (not steam) coming out of the exhaust pipes.

The PO had two of the hoses covered with fabric and zip-tied on (Don't know why, I just removed the fabric and replaced with a cap).

Carb's are farting and engine's backfiring a little when the RPM's are increased above 2600.

Haven't synced it yet as it would run that well

So.....

Anyone have a diagram of what should be connected where for everything coming out of the carb? (Or at least something better than the one on the top of the airbox?)

Are there any hoses that should be left open after the PAIR removal?

Other thoughts?

Has Jardine RT-1's, baffles removed, PAIR removed, not sure if its been rejetted by the PO, and it ran perfectly before I f**ked with it.

Last edited by RequestTheOverhead; 07-23-2010 at 05:23 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:45 AM
Squid

georgedombeck is on a distinguished road
I would guess the two with the rags over them were breathers. Now you choked them off by putting caps on them. Remove the caps and I'll bet it will run good again. g
Old 07-23-2010, 06:50 AM
Going Mach Chicken
Squid

Is there a vacuum breather though? They're just a vacuum line like the other ones.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:23 AM
Going Mach Chicken
Squid

Ok so, just disconnected the fuel tank again. The fuel line to the front cylinder had fuel in it, but the rear had nothing. So the rear cylinder is getting very little fuel. Also, one of the intake valves on the front cylinder had a bunch of fuel sitting in it. Its its getting too much fuel.

I'm out of ideas... thoughts?
Old 07-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Is it possible to take a picture of how you have it set up right now? Also is it a 48 state bike or a Ca bike?
Old 07-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Going Mach Chicken
Squid

Unfortunately, I don't really have a way to take a picture right now. I got it so it was idling fine, but as soon as I add throttle, it bogs down and tries to die. I'm thinking jets? It could be possible that the PO didn't re-jet it when he put on the RT-1's. I don't know how something would've changed by me removing the carbs from the cylinder head to get to the coolent hose. I've shot carb cleaner into the jets via the holes on top near the velocity stacks, didn't really do anything though.

I'm pretty sure its a 48 bike... although the airbox cover shows a vac system for a CA bike. But non of the CA emissions stuff is on the bike.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:40 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Sounds like PVLIR..
Old 07-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn
Sounds like PVLIR..
Very possible, although I'd also try, as george suggested, unplug the hoses that had fabric on them. I'm assuming he/she used fabric because air needed to get through.

Just a wild guess, but do you have two hoses attached to the underside of your airbox, one on front left corner, one on rear right corner (I think from memory)? If not, then the PO might have detached them from the airbox and put fabric over them as a cheap "filter." If you cap these off, I think your carb slides won't work properly.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Ok, well going from memory..... on a CA bike You will have 2ea medium sized plugs that go on a 90 degree metal fitting on the side of each carb. Then there is a small vacuum port, I believe on the front carb, bottom right side that needs to be plugged also. Then you should have a line from the air cut off valve to metal 90 vacuum port. The easy way to check this is locate where the throttle cables attach. There is a round black fitting on the carb and it should go to the fitting right next to the cables hook on. Then check the other carb to see it has the same set up.

This leave 2 90 degree fittings with large hoses on them. These need to be left open. If the hoses attached to them run through the metal side plates pull them out and point them straight down.

Then make sure you hook the vacuum line up to the fitting on the side, not the bottom of the petcock. Sync the carbs and you should be good to go.

Let me know if I left something out..... I am getting old......lol
Old 07-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by evines
Very possible, although I'd also try, as george suggested, unplug the hoses that had fabric on them. I'm assuming he/she used fabric because air needed to get through.

Just a wild guess, but do you have two hoses attached to the underside of your airbox, one on front left corner, one on rear right corner (I think from memory)? If not, then the PO might have detached them from the airbox and put fabric over them as a cheap "filter." If you cap these off, I think your carb slides won't work properly.
That is very true and I didn't even think about that...... like I said getting old.
Make sure those lines as hooked up and the foam filters are installed and maintained. If they are gone or you run with out them you will fill the slides up with dirt. At that point, if your lucky you just need to buy a new pair of slides. If you let it go too long, well its a new set of carbs for you.....
Old 07-23-2010, 03:56 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
not to get off topic, but me and my 2 buddies are going up to oshkosh next friday. I'm riding up from near chicago. if you see a red and grey hawk riding with a red sv650, and a bigass white van, feel free to say hi.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:55 AM
Going Mach Chicken
Squid

Thanks for all the help everyone. Unfortunately I had to get on the road yesterday, so I drove the car. When I get back home in 8 days, I'll take a look again.

Swordfish, I'll be lookin for ya.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Going Mach Chicken
Squid

Got back late last night and worked on the bike today. I replaced the fabric over the vacuum lines that had it and also and did the stuff you suggested 8541hawk... and it worked! I sync'd the carbs the best I could, took it for a ride and everything seemed fine. I have no idea why the vac lines would need fabric and not just be plugged, but it works.... so I won't mess with it.

Thanks for your help everyone!
Old 08-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Banned
MotoGP

No worries and glad it worked out for you.