General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Did my first trackday...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
Did my first trackday...

Rather than re-writing everything, here's what I posted over at my blog:

Hi, my name is Jim, and I'm a track addict. I think the only solution is more speed. A total of 6 sessions today, over which I managed to knock some 20 seconds off my lap times. To keep this all straight in my head, I'm going to go with rundown, AAR, and then photos.

I did my first ever trackday at Arroyo Seco Motorplex in Akela, NM (20 miles east of Deming) today. We drove out last night and stayed in the Motel 6 there in Deming so we wouldn't have to try and drive 3 hours this morning and then hit the track. We were the first ones there, so early in fact that we couldn't find anyone at the track and therefore made a run across the road for extra snackies. Back over to Arroyo at 0800, and Roger was out and about. As an aside, he owns and operates the track there, and is a great help to new track riders. I will most definitely be trying to link him up with the new sportbike riders here on Fort Huachuca, as he is a great asset. Got the first pit selection, and after being quickly convinced (by the bystanders and the WIND) that the ez-up awning was a bad idea, we took it back down and got the pit settled.

I had brought my new Bridgstones for mounting, and after getting them set and the Superhawk buttoned back up, it was time for tech and rollout. The atmosphere was very relaxed, and although I was the only first-timer there, it was not at all intimidating. I spent the first couple of laps getting some heat in the new tires, and getting them completely scuffed in. The 016's are a rounder profile than the Michelins I had previously run, and though they don't turn in as quickly, I found them more comfortable and stable while leaned over. Two sessions on the 'hawk and I was beginning to sort out the lines on about 3/4 of the track.

The next session was on the CBR, and it was an entirely different animal. No guts in the low revs, but pulled like a freight train up in the powerband. Unfortunately, I had not checked the tire pressure, and they were LOW. It felt iffy under braking, and the rear wasn't working right. After I came in, Roger helped me set the sag on the bike (rear was squatted too much) and reminded me to check my tires, which I then found to be at 10 lbs. It's painfully obvious from the photos below, but on the track I just figured it was me not being used to it yet. Oops.

Did some back to back CBR and Hawk runs, and they both act very differently. The VTR is easier to ride moderately fast, but the front brakes are woefully lacking in initial bite, which means you have to grab way more brake than on the CBR. In the 'hawk's defense, the F4i is fitted with an aftermarket Brembo front master cylinder, which has significantly more braking power than the stock brakes for either bike. Lap set number 5 was cut short by some rain, which shut everything down for about an hour and a half.

Rain finally quit around 3pm, and I was ready for another go. Back on the CBR, and now I had the lap timer up and running with some help from one of the other racers (he loaned me his IR beacon so I could set it at the start-finish and get times). Bike was all set up and settled in, so after 2 laps getting heat in the tires (Pirelli Supercorsa DOT Race tires), I put my head down and tried to run some fast laps. Now I wasn't fast compared to the lap record (a 1:06.70 done by a pro on an AMA-spec literbike) I did manage to post a 1:26.03. Good enough to have one of the guys who rides there semi-regularly ask if it was really my first trackday.

Sustain:

- Bringing the trailer was the right idea. Big empty space closed off from the sun, rain, and wind, plenty of storage for spare gear.

-Bringing the toolbox, generator, air compressor, cooler, etc, was also a good idea. Cold drinks after lapping hard were really nice. The tools being there help ward off that Murphy bastard... If you don't have it, you'll need it, and all that jazz.

-Staying overnight locally is a big help. Whether it's at the Motel 6, or eventually in a toy-hauler camper, not having to drive 3 hours then ride is a big plus.

Improve:

-PCIs!!! Basic checks before rolling out! Tire pressure! Did you bring extra fuel (race-gas is expensive!). These things will bite you in the ***.

-I need to work on my conditioning. Even though by the end I had relaxed and managed a 12 lap stint, the first couple sessions had me panting like a dog in August.

-Bring spare memory cards for the camera, and keep the boss happier about shooting photos. If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. I managed to not get shot in the face today, which goes in the win column in my book, since it was my first go at this. Live and learn.

Enough babbling, here are the pictures:

Floating hawk:

Amanda gets creative with the macro lens:

Note the tires...

Dragging knee on the Superhawk:

Decent body positioning for my first trackday: (this was the corner I constantly apexed too early)

Which leads of course to more decent positioning:

The photographer for today's shoot was my lovely and talented wife Amanda. She got some really good ones, and I think I could be convinced to supply her with a wide-angle lens (as requested) before doing more action shots like these, as the tighter shots are almost too tight when she was shooting from near trackside. As always, I would like to thank her for putting up with my pathetic self, and for facilitating the continuance of my adrenaline addiction.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:28 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Galaxieman;210366] Hi, my name is Jim, and I'm a track addict. /QUOTE]

now thats funny !

not good missing the psi ! i go to the track often & still use a checklist.
there is a lot going on in the morning sometimes those simple things get forgotten.

enjoy
tim

btw: i run supercorsa dragons ( usually SC2's )... how did you like the new bt016's -
not that they are comparable but people have been asking. the last i rode was the 014's and they were terrible !

Last edited by trinc; 04-12-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:12 PM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
So how much $$$ do you think the day ended up costing you.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Superstock

FTMS is on a distinguished road
All it takes is one day. I did one day last year and end up buying another hawk just for track duty and signing up for as many days as I can afford this year.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:05 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Héhé, track days are fun, I got addicted too, worst than junkie food. Chicken lost some feathers but it's just more offerings to the god of speed.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by yruyur
So how much $$$ do you think the day ended up costing you.
Let's see..

1 Day Trackday, scheduled more than 7 days in advance: $80
1 night at Motel 6: $45
Fuel for ~400 mile round trip in the truck: $63
New tires for the Superhawk: $234.90 (Needed them anyway, so timing is everything. Ridedirect.com rocks!)

If you don't count the $2000 I spent buying the CBR, $422.90. Excluding tires, I'm under $200.

Of course long term there is the inevitable frameslider upgrade, and more tires, and race gas, and more trackdays, so overall cost is probably pretty $$$...