General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Deal's Gap heresy

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 07:15 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Deal's Gap heresy

Last September a few friends and I rode south from Canada to Deal's Gap. We got there on a hot clear day and I was expecting great things. Hwy. 129 turned out to be a tight narrow road with a lot of traffic, a lot of police, a lot of blind corners, no run-off and no margin for error. I rode it once and kept going. While the road was clean, in great condition and had some interesting cambers, it didn't amount to anything more for me than a quirky, slow novelty road. Anyone else feel that way?
Old 12-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Back Marker

fuzzuki is on a distinguished road
OH my God.

What a great post.

I can't wait to see what happens now.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:56 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Yup, first impressions are everything.

My first ride on it was on a late June weekday afternoon after hauling *** over 1200 INTERSTATE miles in 1.5 days to get there. It was my first real taste of the smokie mountains.

I didn't see a soul till I hit the upper lookout and saw two guys. I pulled over and talked with them; "locals" from Georgia who were quite impressed to see this Texas boy by himself. Anyway, we exchanged some good motorcycle pleasantries and then I ran back down the dragon to Robbinsville to my hotel room before it got dark and only saw about 5 bikes. We had a group ride the next 3 days and ran it several more times but none as special as that first day; just me, my bike, and that road.

So yeah, I have a little different point of view. Is the interweb killing it? IMO, yup. Is the greatest road ever? Nope. Should it be on everyones must ride list? Definitely.

Last edited by superbling; 12-12-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:20 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I've never ridden Deal's Gap, but even if it is a great road, once a road gets a national rep as great for bikes, it gets crowded, guys start crashing and getting killed. In short order the place is crawling with cops and the whole thing turns to ****.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:17 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
I have ridden it many times. There are many other roads closer to home that I prefer. For me, it's too tight and slow, and now too notorious to be considered a great motorcycle road.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:59 AM
Squid

JesseW.
i rode it last may before the crack down by the cops. best time to go is during the week, stay away on weekends. I could ride it almost the whole way in 2nd gear (-1 front sproket) getting into the limiter a couple of times. i found it really fun and found out the footpegs(no feelers) drag really early. you should have rode hw 28 from franklin to the 4 lane, now that is FUN!!!.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Superstock

trinity012 is on a distinguished road
Hi Gents, talking about Deal Gap i just want kick myself as last year plan i made late decision to go to Gap but could not find and room w/others Superhawker so i bailout and now chance to run that DG will be tough w/all laws enforcement all over.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:35 AM
Back Marker

bluevtr
Yea, I think it's a little over-rated myself. But it's one of those things everyone should try at least once. I like it for the challenge, such as no run offs, etc. but wouldn't want to do it all the time. I personally feel that the road doesn't have a very nice rythem to it. There are much more enjoyable rider's roads overall. FWIW, I like 64 from Franklin to Highlands, and Little River Road outside of Gatlinburg much better.

Deal's gap has sorta become the "hot new nightclub" that everyone pays too much to get into, just to see everyone else trying to look cool. It's getting by mostly on reputation now. Having said that, when I'm in the area, I do ride it at least once...
Old 12-16-2007, 06:21 AM
Back Marker

Tom Blum is on a distinguished road
Deals gap is okay, but, it is very tight (or "technical" as others have said) You'd have more fun riding a 250 or a super moto through there.

If you want the old Deals gap experience, just plan your visit for mid week.

The heavy police presence is limited to the weekend. It was caused by stupid riders, on big bikes they couldn't handle, crashing time after time, often with serious injury. They had to do something.

Whatever you ride, the gap is not a racetrack. It has no allowance for off road runoffs, etc. It is not the place to ride at 10/10ths.

10 years or so back, when I was trying to be "fast", I remember having a good run going with pretty good rhythm, only to hit a curve with reverse camber that really screwed me up. I went onto the shoulder and ,but for the grace of god, over the edge. That was the end of "ricky racer" antics for me.

From then on, my mantra became "work on smooth and fast will come" I'm still working on it.

But, enough about Deals Gap. The general area is great and you can't find a bad road from Robbinsville clear over to I 75

Tom
Old 12-16-2007, 08:25 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
The Gap --- Where to start. Being from TN and yes most of the road is in TN i have made the trek from mid-tn to east tn many times over the past 25 years.

Funny thing is the road has been pretty much the same the whole 25 years. Except the influx of more traffic since Al Gore invented the internet (yea right - haha another Tennessean)

In the 80 and 90's no one was up there except word of mouth riders.

After riding is on my SuperMoto the past two years i got a different perspective of the road. On a SuperMoto it like a kid in a candy Jar.

I went this summer during the crack down, only difference is i got up at the crack of dawn to ride it before mister smokey bear arrived (TNHP nick name)

There are by far better roads in TN, NC, WV, GA than the gap. Its all about the internet. I actually hate that TOD is now blasting out other great roads they suddenly discovered (like know one ever rode them) to the world. Screw that, get a damn map out and discover the roads and keep them mum to a close circle of your own ride group.

Been there done that and i will go back, but it will be on the SuperMoto not the SuperHawk.

Forewarned, many more riders get hurt and crash on the skyway than the gap. The skyway is a risky road for your average SportRider.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:34 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I'd like to thank Tom, bluevtr and superbling especially for their comments. The Deal's Gap area is very much worth going to. I had checked Deal's Gap websites before the trip and watched on-bike videos. The road looks a lot different to the human eye than it does through a camera lens. There are interesting roads there and the people we met were great. If I go back, I'll try the Cherohala and the other roads the forum members have listed.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:35 AM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
I was at the Gap in June 06 with a group of 5 other guys (leaving just as the Honda hoot was begining). We hit alot of the fine roads in the area. Mid-week is your best bet. Not nearly as crowded during the week as it was during the weekend. I can't remember the name of the skyway just at the end of the dragon. It breaks off to the right adjacent to the river there. It is narrow but fast and beautiful. For a great list of wonderful roads in that area and others, look up Mad Maps. It details all the wonderful roads. I was on a heavy Yamaha Warrior at the time and I had a blast. I was tired from muscling the thing around, but I was giddy after going through it. Where I am at here in Illinois, there are not too many roads that are fun to ride. Besides if you find a twisty road up here, its covered in small gravel mid corner that will have you puckering up when you ride through.

I loved the Gap and the area around there and I can't wait to go back. Now I'm just trying to find a nice 03-05 Superhawk for the ride!
Old 12-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Back Marker

bowhawk is on a distinguished road
I love the GAP. We stay in Alcoa for three days and then move to Abington to ride the Snake. I was with a group of Ducati riders, a KTM950 supermoto and a BMW 1150GS. The Hawk kicks ***. I was schooled by a girl on a KTM 525smc. She came by me and backed it in to the next corner. I thought my bike had slipped out of gear she went by so fast. The Snake, Hwy 421, has got to be the most fun you can have with a set of leathers on. I had both wheels in the air once and would power wheelie in second on a couple of faster switchbacks. It was right in the bikes sweet spot. The trip was a blast. We plan a trip every year and do the GAP midweek only.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:50 PM
Back Marker

I've got to have my say now.
I believe Deals Gap to be the best motorcycle road in the world, bar none.
I took my VTR there and I couldn't believe how well the Super Hawk handled there.
I also took my friends Motard and it was even better.

If you don't like Deals Gap, find a different sport to get involved it.

I also like many of the other roads out in that area. But as far a tight and technical. Deals Gap rules.

rob
Old 12-16-2007, 02:42 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by fuzzuki
I've got to have my say now.
I believe Deals Gap to be the best motorcycle road in the world, bar none.
I took my VTR there and I couldn't believe how well the Super Hawk handled there.
I also took my friends Motard and it was even better.

If you don't like Deals Gap, find a different sport to get involved it.

I also like many of the other roads out in that area. But as far a tight and technical. Deals Gap rules.

rob
That's just because you've never riden Mines Rd........ or Del Puerto Cyn.....
Old 12-16-2007, 02:54 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
That's just because you've never riden Mines Rd........ or Del Puerto Cyn.....

Could be. Take me there.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by fuzzuki
Could be. Take me there.
Just come to Ca and it will be no problem.....
Old 12-16-2007, 06:17 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Most anyplace with mountains and hills has good bike roads. I just try to stay off the "world famous" ones. I'm a fifteen minute ride from the southern end of Angeles Crest Highway. On the rare occasion I ride there, it is at daybreak on a weekday.

Too many guys riding over their heads. Bikes are 3% of the traffic and 47% of the crashes. That brings cops and speed traps.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:25 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Surprise... different people like different things!

I have a friend who is an accomplished rider & does track days all the time... he doesn't care for the Gap. I have some favorite roads here in Virginia that I'd probably rather ride, but the Dragon and the Snake are both cool, challenging roads.

I had a blast there @ the Super Hawk Owners Group rally last summer for 5 days (my second trip there)... but we rode a lot of different roads and the variety was great. 129 is a challenging road & if that's what you're looking for it's a lot of fun.

It's not a "Sunday drive" kind of road & it's not a road you can get comfortable with in 1 or 2 runs.

I have to say, the last run thru there on the 5th day was the best... it took me THAT long to really find a rhythm all the way thru... but it felt magical to me when it came together.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:24 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I couldn't make the SHOG rally, so I went with some friends. Me and a buddy BOUGHT a school bus for the trip. We figured that we wanted to enjoy the roads there and not the highway troubles of long ranging it. The trip was great, we got better mileage with the bus then we would have got with the bikes, and we were fresh to ride.

As for the dragon... The first day, while not my fastest, was the most exhilirating. The days after were mostly scary. I just found it hard to enjoy after a bobble or two had me wishing for foam pads lining the road. It just was too tight, with no room for error. I felt much happier on cherhola and the other parkway's. they were fun, fast, and easier to keep the hawk going thru the corner, smoothly. Would I go back? yes, over and over. Would I want a different bike? Definitely a supermoto.