General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

dead 99 SH = $?

Old 08-29-2006, 10:20 AM
Squid

deluzunal
dead 99 SH = $?

Can anyone tell me how much a 99 superhawk with a thrown rod goes for? I would love to open up the engine and figure out how to fix it myself but I don't have the garage for something like that.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Squid

willie
part it out, I know someone that might be interested in the front end if it's in good shape.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:37 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmmm, what do I have in the bank right now? I start the bidding at $900!
Old 08-29-2006, 10:39 AM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
looks through wallet... digs in couch... $50??
Old 08-29-2006, 12:06 PM
Squid

Starbucks Fueled is on a distinguished road
I'll buy all the front fairings and stays off of you, and the undertail. Let me know.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:25 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Rather than dissassemble the engine why not just buy a whole engine and when you get it rent a storage unit for a month and swap them out (or just put it in the living room like I would)? Just an idea so you can keep your hawk if a garage is all that's keeping you. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:32 PM
Squid

deluzunal
Thanx for the ideas guys

I like the swapping of the engine idea, but will that get it back to 100%? Plus, I don't think they allow vehicles over at my storage shed. As far as parting out, I don't wanna get stuck with a left over S.Hawk carcass. I guess I'm just gonna sell. I appreciate all the suggestions guys.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:59 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by deluzunal
I like the swapping of the engine idea, but will that get it back to 100%? Plus, I don't think they allow vehicles over at my storage shed. As far as parting out, I don't wanna get stuck with a left over S.Hawk carcass. I guess I'm just gonna sell. I appreciate all the suggestions guys.
Well if you're problem is an internal engine problem and you swap to a good running engine then that should solve your problem. You may have to be a little patient but I've seen some screaming deals on super low mileage engines on ebay. Now shipping is expensive, but you still end up with a good deal, and alot less downtime/hassle and probably less expensive than rebuilding what you've got. Check around locally too, you may get lucky. And I've had bikes in indoor self storage units-what are they $150 a month or so?-plenty of room and privacy. If you do the swap yourself, which shouldn't require nearly as much time or know how as rebuilding your engine, you should save a bunch over taking it to a shop to have it done. Just some ideas...
Old 09-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Squid

omniouslink is on a distinguished road
What do you want for the Hawk with the bad motor?
And if the rod is thrown your better off to just get another motor especialy if you've never been inside a bike motor before. Its easy to swap just a few bolts. I rememer my first motor swap, I was used to cars and trucks. I was AMAZED at how easy it was in comparison.
Parting out a bike is a good idea but if the whole bike is good and just has a bad motor then dont kill the poor thing just fix it and let it live a little longer.
If your in the Raleigh NC area feel free to contact me I might even be pursuaded to give you a hand if you want to swap the motor.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:08 PM
Squid

deluzunal
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm torn between replacing the engine myself or just selling the bike altogether. You're right Omni, no sense in parting out a good SHawk (minus a running engine).

I'm still kinda unsure how it threw the rod, though. I commute a total of 3 mi. round trip 3x a week. That's it. No crazy stunts. 35,199 total miles as the oddometer reads. However, my stupid neighbors have knocked it over by backing into it a total of 3 times! And there was that one yellow light that turned red on me that I didn't quite catch. That resulted in a slide that ended in a mean slam into the ground at the end of the slide, but that was a year ago. Any suggestions?
Old 09-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Superstock

nineighthawk
Did it have oil in it?

Mine is well over 50K, and I beat the **** out of my bike. Wheelies, bounce it off the rev limiter, rail roads weekly.
These motors are virtually indestructable if they are serviced properly.

Maybe yours was made on a Friday. Although that theory mostly applies to our great union workers here not in Japan.

I would not junk it out quite yet unless you want to make some $'s from what's left.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:56 PM
Squid

deluzunal
Yeah it had oil in it. When I last checked it, it was at the bottom line on the oil check window, but the oil was visible. The guys over at Mountain Motorsports here in Ontario, Cali. confirmed that it had oil in it and pronounced it DOA via a thrown rod.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:25 PM
Back Marker

2Phaast is an unknown quantity at this point
How did Moutain Motorsports say they arrived at the "thrown rod"... perhaps, you can get another opinion. It may be a broke cam chain tensioner, and it just jumped timing.... may not need a rebuild, even if some valves touched a piston, it may still run once you get the cams re-aligned..... Don't give up.... spend a bit more time checking it out..... I got some great connections in the So Cal area.....
Old 09-06-2006, 10:30 PM
Squid

deluzunal
Originally Posted by 2Phaast
How did Moutain Motorsports say they arrived at the "thrown rod"... perhaps, you can get another opinion. It may be a broke cam chain tensioner, and it just jumped timing.... may not need a rebuild, even if some valves touched a piston, it may still run once you get the cams re-aligned..... Don't give up.... spend a bit more time checking it out..... I got some great connections in the So Cal area.....

It's funny you should say that. After doing some research online, checking out some handy exploded views on www.bikebandit.com and a useful article on http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/CamChainFAQ.htm I was kinda thinking the same thing. And I've got no background in this sort of thing.

The guys at Mountain Motorsports didn't even look at my bike, they turned it on, heard the knock, reeved it up and pronounnced it DOA. They have steered me wrong before so I stopped going there until they got rid of Capt. Krook. I think you're right 2Phaast, I need a second opinion.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:47 AM
Squid

I hate big shops man they always try to rip off the little man. Guy took a CB1100F to the dealer and they told him it would cost 1400 bucks for new carbs and another 1500 to rebuild the heads and have all the valves replaced. I couldent belive it!
I took the bike to my shop cleaned the carbs for 12 bucks in cleaner and and all of a sudden bam all the compression was back. the heads where fine. they checked the compression with the carbs attached.
Morons. Dont trust big shops, they are out to pay thier bills anyway they can!
Old 09-07-2006, 08:49 AM
Squid

again if you deside against fixing it let me know I would be interested in the bike!
Old 09-07-2006, 10:01 PM
Squid

deluzunal
You're right about the big shops. My first bike was an 85 Suzuki Madura (which I'm selling, by the way) and I had trouble starting it. I took it to Mountain Motorsports, they replaced ignition and I still had trouble starting it! I took it over to my friend, he rewired it so that it bypassed the need for the bike to be in neutral to start and it worked. It wasn't the safest way but he fixed what the "pros" couldn't.

As far as my S.Hawk, it doesn't make sense that it has a thrown rod after only 35,199 miles. I have to open it up to make sure it's not just a busted cam chain tensioner. I couldn't live with myself if I got rid of my bike over something like that. So unless I find a thrown rod once I open it up I won't be selling it just yet.

Thanks a lot guys for all the help. This forum ROCKS!!!
Old 09-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Squid

Good luck with it and I hope for your sake that it is just the tensioner. and I hope its an easy fix for you. let me know what happens and if thier is anything I can do to help just let me know.